PDA

View Full Version : Where Have I Heard This Name Before?

The Reaper
01-23-2008, 09:50
Washington Post
January 23, 2008
Pg. 4

N. Korea May Be Taken Off Terrorism List

North Korea may soon be on its way to being the second country taken off the State Department's list of state sponsors of terrorism during the Bush administration's war on terrorism.

Dell Dailey, the State Department's coordinator for counterterrorism, told a group of reporters yesterday that North Korea appears to meet the criteria for removal. "Taking countries off of the designation list is pretty specific," Dailey said. "You go back six months, you see if there's been any visible support or material support. We don't see that with North Korea. You also ask them to give an affirmation that they will not do things in the future. . . . It appears that North Korea has complied with those criteria."

Getting off the U.S. list was until recently hard to accomplish. North Korea was added two decades ago, after the bombing of a Korean Air Lines flight in 1987.

But the Bush administration has used the list -- which exposes countries to sanctions -- as a prod for better behavior. Libya was removed in 2006 after it promised to give up its weapons-of-mass-destruction programs and to make payments to the families of victims of Pan Am Flight 103, which was blown up over Lockerbie, Scotland, in 1988.

Tokyo has pressed Washington not to remove North Korea from the list until it provides a full account of Japanese citizens abducted by North Korean agents.

Ultimately, the decision on removal rests with President Bush, notwithstanding the legal criteria or diplomatic sensitivities.

Snaquebite
01-23-2008, 10:11
160th? JSOC? various other units. I was first introduced to him early 1980.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/23/AR2007082302031.html?hpid=sec-politics

The Reaper
01-23-2008, 10:26
"From LTG Dailey, SOCOM CSO - as pitched to the new ambassadors today at JSOC, "The difference between JSOC and Special Forces is that these (JSOC pax) are the Warriors, and Special Forces are the house cleaners.."

TR

x-factor
01-23-2008, 11:02
Wow. Just...wow. Thats a heck of a thing to say.

Snaquebite
01-23-2008, 11:22
Thanks TR...that's the statement I was looking for...I will say what can you expect from someone who hasn't been there? There is very little about him on the web. He was an aviator so I'm sure he didn't spend much time on the ground.

Airbornelawyer
01-23-2008, 12:16
Thanks TR...that's the statement I was looking for...I will say what can you expect from someone who hasn't been there? There is very little about him on the web. He was an aviator so I'm sure he didn't spend much time on the ground.

Commissioned from USMA, 1971
Battalion commander, 160th SOAR, 1991-92
War College, 1992-93 or 1993-94 (not sure)
Commander, 160th SOAR, 1994-96
ADC (Support), 101st ABN DIV, 1997-98
Chief of Staff and Director, Requirements and Strategic Assessments, J-7, USSOCOM, 1998-2000
Commanding General, JSOC, 2000-03
Deputy CG, XVIII Airborne Corps, 2003-04
Director, Center for Operations, Plans and Policy, USSOCOM, 2004-05
Director, Center for Special Operations, 2005-06

CPTAUSRET
01-23-2008, 12:18

Army Aviators have done pretty well lately. It hasn'y always been that way. A good friend of mine was told that if he wanted stars he would have to go back to basic branch, he did so and retired a three banger.

I talked with Dick Cody a few years ago, he informed me that he was told the same thing, and refused. He got 4.

I see it as a plus/minus, depends totally on the individual.

Snaquebite
01-23-2008, 12:55
I see it as a plus/minus, depends totally on the individual.

Didn't mean to insuate anything about aviators. I've just never been fond of this guy (Dailey) since meeting him in 1980.

CPTAUSRET
01-23-2008, 13:17
Didn't mean to insuate anything about aviators. I've just never been fond of this guy since meeting him in 1980.

I presume you mean Dailey. I have also heard somewhat negative remarks re his "attitude". All second hand info.

That's actually the reason I added the plus/minus remark.