PDA

View Full Version : Anti-virus

NousDefionsDoc
05-07-2004, 17:35
Which anti-virus/firewall dio I want?

Surgicalcric
05-07-2004, 17:42
I use Norton Anti-Virus and Internet Securities.

I have had no problems thus far, but also run pandasoftware activescan (http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan ) monthly.

Lawrence
05-07-2004, 17:49
I recommend PC-Cillin from Trend for Anti Virus software and Tiny Personal Firewall for a software firewall solution. It goes without saying that you should also have a hardware NAT firewall such as a linksys router. I'd be happy to help if you need assistance locating or installing any of these. I have not had a virus or intrusion problem since i've used these packages.

Kyobanim
05-07-2004, 18:09
A router is the best way to go, as Lawrence said. If you're on dial-up use Black Ice.

Symantec (norton) is, IMO, the best AV around.

The Reaper
05-07-2004, 19:06
I am running Zone Alarm Firewall and Norton AV and have had no problems.

ZA is freeware as well.

TR

GackMan
05-08-2004, 01:26
I recommend Symantec (Norton).

You need both AV and Personal Firewall from a reputable manufacturer.

You are buying the support structure, publishing speed, bandwidth/availability, and depth of research from the company, not just the updates. So, the AV and personal firewall provider should be able to keep up with new threats.

Follow that up with a hardware firewall or at least a router for your perimeter defense. Very important if you are on line all the time.

Also, get used to going to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
religiously. AV and Firewall can't save you from a vuln that you aren't patched against all the time.

Solid
05-08-2004, 03:39
Norton is by far the best according to all the techs I know. It's a good idea to have Adaware 6.0 and Spy-Bot Search and Destroy on the computer too. Run Adaware first, then SB, and you eliminate all the spyware and other nasties on your computer.
Both can be downloaded from here (http://www.download.com).

HTH,

Solid

ghuinness
05-08-2004, 18:01
Originally posted by Kyobanim
A router is the best way to go, as Lawrence said. If you're on dial-up use Black Ice.

Symantec (norton) is, IMO, the best AV around.

I have to agree a router is the most efficient solution for a firewall. I haven't installed any firewall software that didn't seriously degrade system performance. If you can deal with slow everthing, then a software solution will work. I VPN to work for field support and the software firewall had to go !

Norton for AV.

hoepoe
05-09-2004, 00:08
Zone Alarm and Norton Internet Security are good.

One quickie: What do you use your machine for? E-mail, internet, word processing (Word etc)?

Hoepoe

NousDefionsDoc
05-09-2004, 07:45
Yes

hoepoe
05-09-2004, 08:10
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
Yes

Have you considered Linux? It's not virus free, but far few viruses are being written for it, and even so, it is more secure.

The newer distributions are actually geared to the desktop/workstation and are very user friendly.

My wife uses Linux at home for all her email, internet, word processinf (compatible with Microsoft) and media, such as Music and movies, and also our digital camera etc.

Hoepoe

NousDefionsDoc
05-09-2004, 08:18
Hooked up with Norton and Zone Alarm as per recommendations. Thanks all.

The Reaper
05-09-2004, 08:44
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
Hooked up with Norton and Zone Alarm as per recommendations. Thanks all.

NDD:

Zone Alarm will be annoying for a few days as it "learns" who you let access the system and who you do not. Do not be discouraged. After that, it settles down and will do its job, popping up only rarely, like when you install new software.

Get the Ad Aware and Spybot Search and Destroy as well. Free and very handy. You will be amazed how many intel collectors are in your computer.

HTH.

TR

NousDefionsDoc
05-09-2004, 09:05
Ad-Aware and Spy Bot running as well. Ad Aware seems to be slowing things up the most. Roger the learning phase of Zone Alarm. Already noticed it. LOL

Solid
05-09-2004, 09:25
NDD- You don't need to run Adaware and Spybot constantly in the background, just use them to do sweeps of the computer once a week. When doing sweeps, run Adaware first because it picks up some of the files Spybot uses to check the computer if you run it second.

HTH,

Solid

Team Sergeant
05-09-2004, 09:31
Concur with Solid, use them every now and then, you do not need to keep them running all the time.

DunbarFC
05-09-2004, 09:53
Also be sure to update AdAware and Norton regularly to ensure you have the latest and greatest protection

hoepoe
05-09-2004, 11:07
Originally posted by DunbarFC
Also be sure to update AdAware and Norton regularly to ensure you have the latest and greatest protection

To expand on that; don't rely on the automated Norton update, run LiveUpdate manually once a week.

Hoepoe

Solid
05-09-2004, 11:07
Norton especially. It is also important to ensure that your Live Update subscription is kept current at all times (I update mine yearly), or else you fall behind on Norton Virus Definition Updates.

Anyway, I suppose this advice is moving into the realm of common sense.

Hope all is well,

Solid

GackMan
05-09-2004, 12:12
Speaking of updates... did you get the Norton Defs that came out this morning?

Solid
05-09-2004, 16:03
Nope, but I will do tommorow. Thank you for reminding me!
The one thing I vehemently hate about Windows is the fact that every update to fix a hole (of which there are millions) creates another set of loopholes which breed viruses and require Norton patches. It's almost a self-propogating problem!

Solid

The Reaper
05-09-2004, 16:04
Where do you think job creation and employment comes from?

TR

Solid
05-09-2004, 16:06
Absolutely. My tech support guys wouldn't have a job if it wasn't for those loopholes. It's a massive sub-industry, now that I come to think about it.

Solid