PDA

View Full Version : IPSC Shoot

Today&Tomorrow
01-17-2008, 17:45
I am just curious if anyone in here attends the ISPC shoots held up at Bragg. A few of us have gone up there for the shoots before and had a good time... we are planning on going to the next one here in a couple of weeks.

TitratetoEffect
01-17-2008, 19:19
Are you talking about the Range 14 match? It is cancelled for January but there should be one in Feb.

Phil

Today&Tomorrow
01-17-2008, 19:33
I am talking about the one in Feb... I want to say it is the 9th...just curious if anyone thats on here goes to these...

CDRODA396
01-17-2008, 19:43
I shoot the R14 matches, the Ant Hill matches in Supply NC, right on the coast about 1hr50min from Bragg and the Sir Walter Gun Club matches in Creedmoor, also about 1hr50min from Bragg and I just started shooting the IDPA matches in Oxford, right at 2 hrs from Bragg...feel free to post or pm any questions about any one of these....

The schedule of all USPSA matches in NC by weekend (for example, Range 14 is always the second Sat of the month) and some of the IDPA matches can be found here: www.ncsection.org

rubberneck
01-17-2008, 20:18
I shoot the R14 matches, the Ant Hill matches in Supply NC, right on the coast about 1hr50min from Bragg and the Sir Walter Gun Club matches in Creedmoor, also about 1hr50min from Bragg and I just started shooting the IDPA matches in Oxford, right at 2 hrs from Bragg...feel free to post or pm any questions about any one of these....

The schedule of all USPSA matches in NC by weekend (for example, Range 14 is always the second Sat of the month) and some of the IDPA matches can be found here: www.ncsection.org

Do you have any plans to shoot the Carolina Cup at Frank's range in June? Myself and a friend are talking about taking the drive down there for the fun and games.

CDRODA396
01-17-2008, 20:33
Do you have any plans to shoot the Carolina Cup at Frank's range in June? Myself and a friend are talking about taking the drive down there for the fun and games.

Havent really thought that far out...right now the South Carolina Section Championship April 11 - 12 is as far out as I've looked...but if there was a chance to meet some fellow forum members I might could pencil that in and pay my fees early! Let me know if your plans firm up....I have heard is a great match and did read this a week or two ago...

1/08/08 – Frank Glover announced today that “The Range” will host The Carolina Cup in a new format on June 19 – 21, 2008. More details will be posted soon.

rubberneck
01-17-2008, 20:41
Havent really thought that far out...right now the South Carolina Section Championship April 11 - 12 is as far out as I've looked...but if there was a chance to meet some fellow forum members I might could pencil that in and pay my fees early! Let me know if your plans firm up....I have heard is a great match and did read this a week or two ago...

1/08/08 – Frank Glover announced today that “The Range” will host The Carolina Cup in a new format on June 19 – 21, 2008. More details will be posted soon.

I will be seeing Frank on Saturday. I'll have to ask him about his new format.

He was one of the three finalists to host the IDPA Nationals this year and next. His match is considered a must shoot match IDPA event. I haven't had the chance to shoot it yet but I have shot Nationals, the S&W Winter Nationals and the Carolina Cup would complete IDPA's big three. I am 90% sure that I'll be making the trip. I should know for sure the next couple of weeks. I'll let you know.

AngelsSix
01-17-2008, 21:08
Not trying to hijack the thread or anything, I do have a couple of questions. I wasn't aware that those matches at Range 14 were open to anyone who wanted to participate. Also, has anyone ever done a match at Trigger Time?? I am also looking for a long distance rifle range, any suggestions?? I used to go out to a range for IDPA outside of Fayetteville/Spring Lake.....I think it was called Range One or something like that, I heard it was closing and haven't gone back due to being so busy with deployments, etc. Now that I have more free time I would like to get back into it.

Peregrino
01-17-2008, 21:22
I am also looking for a long distance rifle range, any suggestions??

What do you call "long range"? There are as many opportunities locally to shoot rifle as there are pistol - at least one match each weekend within < two hours drive. Everything from 100M to 1000M. For sanctioned (NRA HP) matches check out:

http://www.sirwaltergunclub.com/
http://www.ncrpa.org/
http://www.northstateshootingclub.com/
http://www.odcmp.com/

There are a few more, not affiliated with the above that are also local and fun to shoot.

HTH - Back to your regularly scheduled programing.

AngelsSix
01-17-2008, 21:31
Thanks for the links, Sir. Just wanted to saved myself a little time and not be going to three or four different ranges before I find one I would like to spend some time hanging at (I was fishing for recommendations :cool:). I want to do some 500-1000 meter shooting, apparently I have not asked the right folks, seems like no one could tell me where there was a decent range fairly close to the Hurst.

**EDITED to add that I found the link to the range I had gone to before, here it is.....http://www.range-1.com/welcome.htm apparently it is for sale if anyone wants to buy a gun range, wish I had the money, would buy it in a heartbeat.**

K

Today&Tomorrow
01-18-2008, 05:29
Anyone else going to the Range 14 shoot in a couple of weeks.. there is going to be about 6-7 guys from my team going up there to shoot. I really like those shoots up there...those guys get creative... I remember the Halloween one, where you had to be ringing the door bell with a treat-or-treat bucket in your hand...I look forward to going back up there...maybe we could get some lunch or something afterwards... let me know whats up..

CDRODA396
01-18-2008, 05:31
Not trying to hijack the thread or anything, I do have a couple of questions. I wasn't aware that those matches at Range 14 were open to anyone who wanted to participate.

The R14 matches are open to the public...its the only time the range is available to the public, their "website" is at http://fbncrange14.googlepages.com/

If you're active duty or retired, they provide free 9mm or .45 for the match. Me and another retired 7th Grouper have been trying to get them to come up with some free .40cal but no luck ....so far!!!

Its a great match, generally some really challenging stages with a nice mix of paper and steel, some SHO/WHO and usually includes some fairly long shots to test your total "game."

rubberneck, I'll definately try and make it...have to shoot a few more matches between now and then, I'd hate for my second or thrid IDPA Match to be the SuperBowl!

Edited to add...

Today&Tomorrow, Your post must have arrived while I was typing mine....I'll be there in Feb, driving a yellow Jeep....look me up and something afterwards at Hooter's sounds great!

Today&Tomorrow
01-19-2008, 08:21
Edited to add...

Today&Tomorrow, Your post must have arrived while I was typing mine....I'll be there in Feb, driving a yellow Jeep....look me up and something afterwards at Hooter's sounds great!

Sounds good... not sure what we will be in yet... we are trying to get orders so that we can get a Gov. Van and be able to take our M9s up there... I will let you know when it gets closer what we will be in... thanks

Razor
01-19-2008, 20:58
... I remember the Halloween one, where you had to be ringing the door bell with a treat-or-treat bucket in your hand...

Did you mean to say "answer the doorbell", or is it a common occurance for Marines to go trick-or-treating? :D

Today&Tomorrow
01-20-2008, 08:00
Did you mean to say "answer the doorbell", or is it a common occurance for Marines to go trick-or-treating? :D

Nope we were actually pretending to be trick-or-treating. It was a couple of days before Halloween so they wanted to have a Halloween theme at one of the stations. Its harder to spin around and engage targets than to open a door, draw and shoot straight ahead... is there something wrong if I still trick-or-treating? I guess I wont go next year then....:boohoo

ccrn
01-21-2008, 13:23
Question...

Is any one of these groups better than the other regarding offensive or defensive handgun shooting as opposed to target shooting??

There is IDPA in my area, but the city police that come through the ER arent that impressed by it. They seem to like USPSA claiming that IDPA is "too slow".

I havent participated in any of them but talking to a IDPA guy I like the emphasis on off the self combat pistols-
Thanks

rubberneck
01-21-2008, 13:44
Question...

Is any one of these groups better than the other regarding offensive or defensive handgun shooting as opposed to target shooting??

There is IDPA in my area, but the city police that come through the ER arent that impressed by it. They seem to like USPSA claiming that IDPA is "too slow".

I havent participated in any of them but talking to a IDPA guy I like the emphasis on off the self combat pistols-
Thanks

I'll let someone more qualified address the tactical aspects (if any) of any of the shooting sports. Personally I never cared for the IDPA shooters who love to talk tactics. Most of them are full of it.

In my personal experience there are two types of Police officers that shoot IDPA or USPSA. The first group is by far the bigger of the two. They show up to their first match thinking about how high speed they are and leave with their tails between their legs never to be seen again. The second group realizes how poor their gun skills are and decide to do something about it. Keep that in mind when you hear a local LEO officer talking about either sport.

I shoot both sports and like both. If I had to pick one it would probably be IDPA but luckily I don't have to. They are similar in some regards but very different at the same time. Go to an IDPA or USPSA match. If you don't have a big ego and can handle getting throttled you'll have lots of fun. My very first USPSA match was at Old Bridge Rifle and Pistol Club here in NJ. Somehow I ended up being squadded with Dave Olhasso and JJ Racazza two of the top 25 shooters in the world. It was an eye opening experience to say the least. Five years later I am still no where near them but can hold my own at big matches and more importantly I always have fun.

Today&Tomorrow
01-29-2008, 20:33
The R14 matches are open to the public...its the only time the range is available to the public, their "website" is at http://fbncrange14.googlepages.com/

If you're active duty or retired, they provide free 9mm or .45 for the match. Me and another retired 7th Grouper have been trying to get them to come up with some free .40cal but no luck ....so far!!!

Its a great match, generally some really challenging stages with a nice mix of paper and steel, some SHO/WHO and usually includes some fairly long shots to test your total "game."

rubberneck, I'll definately try and make it...have to shoot a few more matches between now and then, I'd hate for my second or thrid IDPA Match to be the SuperBowl!

Edited to add...

CDRODA396 I just found out today that we got everything locked on for going next Saturday. I am going to drive separate so afterwards we can go get a late lunch at Hooters.. Yellow Jeep? If I drive my truck I will be in a yellow S-10. Look forward to meeting you and having fun at the shoot.

CDRODA396
01-29-2008, 20:45
CDRODA396 I just found out today that we got everything locked on for going next Saturday. I am going to drive separate so afterwards we can go get a late lunch at Hooters.. Yellow Jeep? If I drive my truck I will be in a yellow S-10. Look forward to meeting you and having fun at the shoot.

T&T, Good Deal! See ya around 830 at the Range! :)

Goat Bandit
02-24-2008, 22:09
B&R, right outside of Cherry Point holds a comp on the 2nd and 4th Sat. of each month also. $15 entry fee, first place in each division wins thier money back.

AngelsSix
04-02-2008, 00:02
April dates?? I couldn't get the site to work...grrr...

Today&Tomorrow
04-02-2008, 15:50
April dates?? I couldn't get the site to work...grrr...

It is the 12th from what I have been hearing...

AngelsSix
04-09-2008, 01:20
damn!! :(
I am working.....oh well.....next month

Today&Tomorrow
06-13-2008, 16:01
Just wondering who is going to the IPSC shoot tomorrow at Range 14. A friend of mine and I are going... Anyone going to be going ???

Today&Tomorrow
07-09-2009, 05:22
Curious if anyone knows if there is a shoot this weekend. I got this off the website but doesn't really say if it has been cancelled or if it is still going.

"Moving the match from Range 14 to Range 37 is in the works. Unfortunately, we weren't able to make it happen this week. Hopefully they (range 37) will pick up the match and we can continue having USPSA matches on Ft. Bragg. "

Please let me know if you have any information on this. Thank you in advance for your help and time.

Shawn

Peregrino
09-28-2010, 20:36
I did something incredibly stupid Saturday – and had a reasonably good time doing it despite trials and tribulations. A friend told me Range 37 (the REAL one) was hosting matches as the successor to the old Range 14 Committee. They had one Saturday. And like an idiot, I went.

It was “sporting”.

Nothing like trying to recover your lost youth (inverse ratio of testosterone to common sense) in record breaking heat, wearing body armor and helmet while trying to duplicate feats of endurance and skill that I haven’t tried in 15 years. When the course of fire is about “running and gunning”, no amount of “gunning” will make up for a lack of “running”. Old, fat, slow, and lazy (did I mention record heat and body armor?) isn’t conducive to speed. Lumbering was about all I could manage. And my gunning wasn’t up to par either. It’ll cost several pitchers of expensive beer to get me to recount the list of excuses; suffice to say, I can go on for hours without repeating myself.

Range 37 (the REAL one) is a phenomenal facility and everyone was grateful to the School and the Cadre for making it available for this (type of) competition. The competitors were a mix of military, LEO, and civilians, though mostly military. The staff was quality, the match was challenging, the facilities were great; overall it was a very positive experience.

The course of fire consisted of seven stages, all innovative and challenging. The rules were simple – nobody gets excuses in combat, nobody gets them here either, use whatever you would take to a two-way range. Five of the stages required armor and helmet and the Committee was kind enough to have loaners available (whether or not it fitted was a bonus).

Serendipity works. I was late squading and not overly concerned about who I was going to shoot with so I “evened out” one of the shorter lists by adding my name to the bottom. Come to find out – they were all SFQC students taking a break from school. (Two are members here!) I was extremely pleased to see a group of SF Candidates hanging out, having fun, and helping each other through a challenging experience. All in all, a good bunch to get thrown in with.

For those with questions about the next match I include the web site: http://range37combatshoot.com/

AngelsSix
10-04-2010, 03:38
I did something incredibly stupid Saturday – and had a reasonably good time doing it despite trials and tribulations. A friend told me Range 37 (the REAL one) was hosting matches as the successor to the old Range 14 Committee. They had one Saturday. And like an idiot, I went.

It was “sporting”.

Nothing like trying to recover your lost youth (inverse ratio of testosterone to common sense) in record breaking heat, wearing body armor and helmet while trying to duplicate feats of endurance and skill that I haven’t tried in 15 years. When the course of fire is about “running and gunning”, no amount of “gunning” will make up for a lack of “running”. Old, fat, slow, and lazy (did I mention record heat and body armor?) isn’t conducive to speed. Lumbering was about all I could manage. And my gunning wasn’t up to par either. It’ll cost several pitchers of expensive beer to get me to recount the list of excuses; suffice to say, I can go on for hours without repeating myself.

Range 37 (the REAL one) is a phenomenal facility and everyone was grateful to the School and the Cadre for making it available for this (type of) competition. The competitors were a mix of military, LEO, and civilians, though mostly military. The staff was quality, the match was challenging, the facilities were great; overall it was a very positive experience.

The course of fire consisted of seven stages, all innovative and challenging. The rules were simple – nobody gets excuses in combat, nobody gets them here either, use whatever you would take to a two-way range. Five of the stages required armor and helmet and the Committee was kind enough to have loaners available (whether or not it fitted was a bonus).

Serendipity works. I was late squading and not overly concerned about who I was going to shoot with so I “evened out” one of the shorter lists by adding my name to the bottom. Come to find out – they were all SFQC students taking a break from school. (Two are members here!) I was extremely pleased to see a group of SF Candidates hanging out, having fun, and helping each other through a challenging experience. All in all, a good bunch to get thrown in with.

For those with questions about the next match I include the web site: http://range37combatshoot.com/

I was invited by a fellow civilian LEO to go to this match, but declined due to the fact that I had a MILLION things that I needed to catch up on around the house. I never did get caught up, I should have just went to the match...:D

scotchrick05
10-04-2010, 19:15
Gents,

Being in the Fayetteville area, your options are decent for pistol competitions. All current schedule info can be found at www.ncsection.org You'll find that within an hours drive the comps are IDPA heavy... but thats a good thing. This does not cover the coveted RANGE 37 COMBAT MATCH that was linked above.

And don't let Peregrino fool you, we actually owe him the beer!

PM me for more info if needed.

Heres a paste from their site:

1st Weekend of the month
SATURDAY
Sir Walter: USPSA, 9AM
Clinton NC: IDPA
Foothills: IDPA, 10AM (Feb-Nov)
Caswell: Ruger Rimfire 12PM
SUNDAY
Oxford, NC: IDPA, 12PM
MONDAY
On Target: USPSA/IDPA, 6PM

2nd Weekend of the month
SATURDAY
B&R CQB Match 8:30AM
Range 14/37 USPSA, 8AM
Rowan County: USPSA 10AM
Angier / Drake Landing: IDPA 8AM
Raleigh: IDPA, 4:30PM
Caswell: IDPA 12PM
SUNDAY
Oxford, NC: IDPA, 12PM
Ant Hill: Steel Match, 12PM
Blackwater: 3-Gun, 10A (except Dec.)
MONDAY

3rd Weekend of the month
SATURDAY
Asheville (Lake Lure): USPSA, 10AM
Clinton NC: IDPA
Watauga: IDPA, 10AM
Charlotte NRA Action Pistol 12PM
Caswell: USPSA 10AM
SUNDAY
Ant Hill: USPSA, 12PM
Oxford: "Fun" match, 12PM
Statesville: USPSA, 1PM
MONDAY

4th Weekend of the month
SATURDAY
Pitt County, USPSA, 10AM
B&R: USPSA, 8:30AM
SUNDAY
Blackwater: USPSA, 10A
Caswell: IDPA 12PM
MONDAY

5th Weekend of the month
SUNDAY
Ant Hill: USPSA 3-Gun, 12PM *USUALLY*
Oxford: IDPA BUG match

frostfire
10-05-2010, 21:28
2nd Weekend of the month
SATURDAY
B&R CQB Match 8:30AM
Range 14/37 USPSA, 8AM
Rowan County: USPSA 10AM

Question:
Is there still USPSA pistol-only match at Range 14/37? It seems it's always 2 gun now, and no more 9mm for active duty?
I've been looking for action pistol type match near Bragg...or somone I could pay in beer :D to use their AR or AK74 for 2 gun match

scotchrick05
10-06-2010, 07:11
Question:
Is there still USPSA pistol-only match at Range 14/37? It seems it's always 2 gun now, and no more 9mm for active duty?
I've been looking for action pistol type match near Bragg...or somone I could pay in beer :D to use their AR or AK74 for 2 gun match

Couldn't tell you, I steer clear of that particular venue for multiple reasons.

frostfire
02-28-2011, 13:33
the coveted RANGE 37 COMBAT MATCH

Anyone in the know of the next match or if it's still in place? A competitor told me the good SFC in charge of it left and it's been in limbo eversince.