PDA

View Full Version : Increased Media Coverage of Special Forces

emoore
01-16-2008, 10:50
I would like to thank the Special Forces soldiers who run and contribute to this forum. When I was in the military you heard very little about Special Forces and Operations which brings me to my question.

Do you think that the increased coverage which has given everyone a little knowledge on Special Forces and their mission has bettered the regular Army?

My opinion is yes, reading what young soldiers on this site and many more are saying today. Outside looking in a SF soldier is a highly trained professional warrior with the capability of adapting to almost all situations. The regular military can not help but respect and admire you which will turn into hero worship in some cases. Since it is an elite force few will make it BUT many will better themselves in hopes of becoming a member, which will in turn make them better soldiers without even realizing.

kgoerz
01-16-2008, 18:24
I would like to thank the Special Forces soldiers who run and contribute to this forum. When I was in the military you heard very little about Special Forces and Operations which brings me to my question.

Do you think that the increased coverage which has given everyone a little knowledge on Special Forces and their mission has bettered the regular Army?

My opinion is yes, reading what young soldiers on this site and many more are saying today. Outside looking in a SF soldier is a highly trained professional warrior with the capability of adapting to almost all situations. The regular military can not help but respect and admire you which will turn into hero worship in some cases. Since it is an elite force few will make it BUT many will better themselves in hopes of becoming a member, which will in turn make them better soldiers without even realizing.

In this day and age you have to advertise your product. Guys always hated Mod Demos and Shoot House Demos. Thing is, the people who come to see those Demo's, write the checks.

mark46th
01-16-2008, 22:09
So, I take it the Gabriel Demonstrations have gone the way of the Passenger Pigeon? Not that I was particularly fond of Smoke Eater duty. But, the demos at least were professional and had dignity...

My favorite memory of Gabriel Demos-"I speak Norwegian, German and have a working knowledge of English."

kgoerz
01-17-2008, 19:16
My favorite memory of a live fire Shoot House Demo.......The SOCOM Commander asking how we managed to get out AR'S to cycle without Blank Adapters.

mark46th
01-17-2008, 21:16
Geezus. Please deliver us back to the DoD...

Pete
01-18-2008, 04:37
Nothing beats the Media Coverage of the SEALs coming ashore in Somalia.

Gave dew rags a bad name for a number of years.:D

CPTAUSRET
01-18-2008, 09:51
My favorite memory of a live fire Shoot House Demo.......The SOCOM Commander asking how we managed to get out AR'S to cycle without Blank Adapters.

That, IS FUNNY!

Maybe because you didn't use blanks!

Irish_Army01
01-18-2008, 10:35

lmao..

longrange1947
01-18-2008, 11:22
KG - You would not believe the shows put on now. :munchin

Tuukka
01-18-2008, 14:05
Nothing beats the Media Coverage of the SEALs coming ashore in Somalia.

Gave dew rags a bad name for a number of years.:D

Pete,

Werent they actually Recon Marines that got caught in the flashing cameras ? :cool:

SF_BHT
01-18-2008, 14:12
Pete,

Werent they actually Recon Marines that got caught in the flashing cameras ? :cool:

They were in the water = Navy Marines are part of the navy so who cares (Seal/Recon) They got caught by the Press like trapped rats. :D:D:p

Just Joking that was a messed up thing........

CSB
01-18-2008, 16:58
So, I take it the Gabriel Demonstrations have gone the way of the Passenger Pigeon? Not that I was particularly fond of Smoke Eater duty. But, the demos at least were professional and had dignity...

My favorite memory of Gabriel Demos-"I speak Norwegian, German and have a working knowledge of English."

Everyone on the site who has done a Gabriel Demonstration, hands up!

Mine? Twice, :cool:7th Group, 1976. Rappel Tower. And yes, there was a Fulton recovery (cargo), Psyops Leaflet drop of the VIPS, and a Heliocourier making a 100 meter landing and takeoff.:cool:

Pete
01-18-2008, 18:15
Pete,

Marines? With a dew rag? On the head? In the 90's?

Bite your tongue. Gunny would have killed them before they got in the RB.

Every CSM is Special Ops hit the roof when "That Picture" hit the newstands.:D

mark46th
01-18-2008, 21:36
Gabriel Demo- Never made the big show, I did couple of smoke eater details...Love my smoked skunk...

Mike
02-05-2008, 00:45
I got in shortly after B. Sadler's music brought a spotlight on SF.

Most old timers I met said it was the worst thing ever happened to The outfit.

We are supposed to be in the shadows and have no lights cast upon us.

Those that want and promote publicity for SF are sadly and significantly missing the point.

Maybe join the circus instead.

I was a supporting actor in a few Gabrial Demos.

Reload
02-07-2008, 15:38
The Gabe Demo details were not too bad and a good break from language school, CQ, or Mott Lake guard. Anyone else remeber the red-green -amber cycles we had back then.

Though they were a break, I guess the smoke eater detail was the best. The hobo-stove and the jerky maker always kept me full. :D

Dragbag036
02-07-2008, 18:13
KG - You would not believe the shows put on now. :munchin

Demos are good, but not at the expense of stopping training for those going out to the force.

glebo
02-08-2008, 08:12
I got in shortly after B. Sadler's music brought a spotlight on SF.

Most old timers I met said it was the worst thing ever happened to The outfit.

We are supposed to be in the shadows and have no lights cast upon us.

Those that want and promote publicity for SF are sadly and significantly missing the point.

Maybe join the circus instead.

I was a supporting actor in a few Gabrial Demos.

That was most definetly the point back then, but now times are a changin' and we need visibility. Thats why the marines, navy, airforce and all the rest are tryin to jump on the "spec ops" bandwagon....visibility=money.

We all know what we do, and yes to some degree we still need to be the "quiet proffessionals". but it has started to hurt us now. We don't need visibility down at company and team level, we need visibility from our GENERALS AT THE TOP to state and make our case. It's the upper leadership that is not showing whomever what they need to see what real "special forces" not the supposed "spec ops" people can do. Every one now-a-days wants to be lumped into the "spec ops" category.

It is our upper echelon leadership that is letting the other services elbow their way in.

Mike
02-08-2008, 20:50
The feeling then was that the type of troop who belongs in SF will find his way.

I believe that to be the case today. In the long run I believe they are the ones who will stay the course and not worry about how they look to the peanut gallery.

But that's just my thinki9ng outloud.

mark46th
02-16-2008, 09:58
I still say SF was at its best under DoD. We didn't have to play the game with the brass and red tape was kept to a minimum. When we needed the real info on what was available, all we had to do was call Mrs. A. She helped me and a couple of friends at a time in need. No questions asked other than MOS...

swpa19
02-16-2008, 17:18
MARK: Your going back a couple of days all we had to do was call Mrs. A. Id love to see a complete history of just what she has done for SF. She was an angel to a lot of the NG personell I worked with.

mark46th
02-16-2008, 21:27
We probably don't have a high enough clearance!!

GaretTrooper
02-24-2008, 10:47
Mrs. A brings back memories. You could get almost any assignment through her. I actually spoke to her a couple of times.
SF was best under the CIA before DoD and B Sadler. Too much publicity. We were glad when the movie SEALS came out. Took the publicity off SF.
I agree the higher ranks need to be more publicly supportive of SF but to Congress not the Press.