PDA

View Full Version : Former Green Beret does well..... very well

Team Sergeant
01-16-2008, 09:05
OC hotel owner wins national veterans title

January 15th, 2008 by Jan Norman

In my 19-+ years writing about small-business owners and entrepreneurs - that’s French for risktakers - I’ve heard of mompreneurs, teenpreneurs, boomerpreneurs and more. Now comes word of the Vetrepreneur of the Year.

Larry Broughton, of the Newport Beach hotel company, Broughton Hospitality Group, has been named the 2007 Vetrepreneur of the Year by the National Veteran-Owned Business Association (NaVOBA).

The U.S. has 3.6 million businesses owned by military veterans.

Broughton, 45, served as a weapons sergeant in the U.S. Army Special Forces from 1983 to 1992

He founded Broughton Hospitality in 2001, a year when the travel industry virtually stopped after the 9/11 terrorist attacks. The company’s first-year revenues were less than $1 million.

Today, it has 305 employees, annual revenues of $24.5 million and runs a dozen upscale boutique hotels, including The Orchard Inn in San Simeon in California and Ibah in Bali. The company plans include eight more projects.

http://jan.freedomblogging.com/2008/01/15/oc-hotel-owner-wins-national-entrepreneur-honors/

echoes
01-16-2008, 09:11
http://jan.freedomblogging.com/2008/01/15/oc-hotel-owner-wins-national-entrepreneur-honors/

“The things you learn in the military are absolutely applicable,” Broughton said. “Being tenacious, never giving up, having a vision, being able to see the greater good, understanding that the team really makes things happen. If you don’t understand those things in the military, you’re not going to be successful, in the military or in your career.”

Outstanding! SF men are truly a rare breed! :lifter

Holly

SF_BHT
01-16-2008, 12:49
OC hotel owner wins national veterans title

January 15th, 2008 by Jan Norman

In my 19-+ years writing about small-business owners and entrepreneurs - that’s French for risktakers - I’ve heard of mompreneurs, teenpreneurs, boomerpreneurs and more. Now comes word of the Vetrepreneur of the Year.

Larry Broughton, of the Newport Beach hotel company, Broughton Hospitality Group, has been named the 2007 Vetrepreneur of the Year by the National Veteran-Owned Business Association (NaVOBA).

The U.S. has 3.6 million businesses owned by military veterans.

Broughton, 45, served as a weapons sergeant in the U.S. Army Special Forces from 1983 to 1992

He founded Broughton Hospitality in 2001, a year when the travel industry virtually stopped after the 9/11 terrorist attacks. The company’s first-year revenues were less than $1 million.

Today, it has 305 employees, annual revenues of $24.5 million and runs a dozen upscale boutique hotels, including The Orchard Inn in San Simeon in California and Ibah in Bali. The company plans include eight more projects.

TS you have to invite him and get him on the board!!!!! We need more contacts. Hell if he is going to open up something down my way I can help or he can help me and the other QP's in CA/SA.....

Defion69
01-16-2008, 15:22
TS you have to invite him and get him on the board!!!!! We need more contacts. Hell if he is going to open up something down my way I can help or he can help me and the other QP's in CA/SA.....

I second that....always here to help a brother.

Warrior-Mentor
01-16-2008, 15:35
Triple that!

lksteve
01-16-2008, 20:00
I concur that he should be invited to the board...that said...
Larry Broughton...has been named the 2007 Vetrepreneur of the Year by the National Veteran-Owned Business Association (NaVOBA).
looks like a case of beer to me...:cool:

82ndtrooper
01-16-2008, 21:30
It doesn't surprise me. I would not have expected anything less.

Guy
01-17-2008, 11:39
Hopefully we can get him on-board....:munchin

Oakland, CA Holiday Inn (http://premier-az.com/Current.html) ;)

Stay safe.

SF_BHT
01-17-2008, 12:41
Hopefully we can get him on-board....:munchin

Oakland, CA Holiday Inn (http://premier-az.com/Current.html) ;)

Stay safe.

Guy

Your out there and in the building buisness. Track him down and Invite him to reconnect on the board......:D

Guy
01-18-2008, 08:38
Guy

Your out there and in the building buisness. Track him down and Invite him to reconnect on the board......:DHe's on the hospitality side; I'm on the construction side of the industry.

If were too try and be hospitable; I'd never get these hotels constructed!:D:cool:

Stay safe.

SF_BHT
01-18-2008, 11:20
He's on the hospitality side; I'm on the construction side of the industry.

If were too try and be hospitable; I'd never get these hotels constructed!:D:cool:

Stay safe.

I know down deep you have a little Hospitality in you.:D

Guy
01-18-2008, 13:10
I know down deep you have a little Hospitality in you.:DEvery time I do, some SOB either ends up stealing, lying, cheating, damaging, coming in drunk, not showing up, etc.

It ain't like we have the creme-of-the-crop in this field.:eek: I've even said...

"Pull your f@#king pants up or; GET THE F@#K OFF THE SITE!":D

I don't believe Larry can say that and get away with it....:munchin

Stay safe.

Peregrino
01-18-2008, 13:35
I know down deep you have a little Hospitality in you.:D

Spell check - that's supposed to be "hostility", not hospitality. :p

SF_BHT
01-18-2008, 14:08

It depends on his mood. Good Guy:D or Mean Evil Guy.:mad:

Guy
01-18-2008, 15:27

It depends on his mood. Good Guy or Mean Evil Guy. Larry didn’t get to that $24+mil w/350+ employees by being, just hospitable. The revenue lost if we don’t complete a project on time is significant. On top of that, we (construction) face significant liquidated damages. Also known as fines!

If you ever want to see something funny…leave your construction site unattended! I’ve had an entire floor of a four-story building stripped of all the copper overnight! I mean the waterlines and electrical wiring gone. I’ve had bulldozers, backhoes, bobcats, air compressors, even a flatbed truck loaded with drywall stolen.

The people who own and manage these projects are not worried about that (stolen) stuff, they are more concerned about producing revenue on their investment and rightfully so.

Stay safe.

Guy
01-18-2008, 15:43
The guy that did all the stone and stucco on the building is a veteran. The funny thing about him is, he has BA in bio-chemistry and worked as a chemist.

Stay safe.

Guy
01-18-2008, 15:48
Called for completion in 12 weeks, with rain delays, he'll be finished the entire building in just under nine weeks.

Stay safe.