PDA

View Full Version : Good News For Western Civilization

x-factor
01-16-2008, 00:13
Well, American civilization, at least.

According to this article, America is experiencing a baby boomlet, contrary to demographic trends in the rest of the industrialized world.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22670983/

LibraryLady
01-16-2008, 11:09
Good News For Western Civilization
Well, American civilization, at least.

According to this article, America is experiencing a baby boomlet, contrary to demographic trends in the rest of the industrialized world.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22670983/

Is it good news for American civilization? Not sure I agree with you.

Quotes from your link:

Teen birth rate on rise
But the higher fertility rate isn’t all good. Last month, the CDC reported that America’s teen birth rate rose for the first time in 15 years.
Fertility rates often rise among immigrants who leave their homelands for a better life. For example, the rate among Mexican-born women in the U.S. is 3.2, but the overall rate for Mexico is just 2.4, according to the Pew Hispanic Center, a Washington-based research organization.
“They’re more optimistic about their future here,” said Jeff Passel, a Pew Center demographer.
Some complain that many illegal immigrants come here purposely to have children.
“The child is an automatic American citizen, thus entitled to all benefits of American citizens. This gives a certain financial incentive for people coming from other countries illegally to have children here,” said John Vinson, president of the Virginia-based American Immigration Control Foundation.

LL

Ret10Echo
01-16-2008, 11:24
2.1...but to what demographic is that? Not to cause a stir, but it has been my observation that many times the people least capable of supporting a larger family are just the ones that are making the average go up.

Are we creating through social programs a customer base for the future?

SFS0AVN
01-16-2008, 11:27
Is it good news for American civilization? Not sure I agree with you.

I tend to agree with LL. We are starting to get a boat load of babies whose parents are not American.

grumpz
01-16-2008, 13:27
I concur. It is not fair for illegal aliens to have children and their children gain automatic citizenship.

Our system is so screwed up. I think for our country to head in the right direction, we need to get rid of all politicians and replace them with people who have the American public as their number one priority.

I am tired of voting for 'the best of the worst.'

incommin
01-16-2008, 14:28
I think Americans have been saying such things about immigrants (legal and illegal) for a couple of hundred years. I do not like our open borders and want the illegal crossing to be halted. But kids who are born here, schooled here, and become young adults here do what the rest of Americans try to do..... and that is to get a good job, raise their own kids, and do better than their parents did. Many of them go into the military.......

my .02.......

Jim

x-factor
01-16-2008, 20:05
I'm with incommin. I'm not saying that there's nothing wrong with the state of immigration, but I think the sense of crisis is overinflated. For positive and for negative, I don't think the current waves of hispanic immigration are historically all that different from the waves of Irish immigration in the 1800s. In anycase, as incommin says, the kids will be American. I've seen it in Miami with the Cuban and Haitian kids.

And back to the original topic, there are few worse problems a nation can have than uneven or shrinking demographics. One of the root causes of the whole Islamic fundamentalist problem is the gigantic youth bulge in the Muslim world. Europe has serious problems in the other direction. China and Russia are creeping disasters on multiple demographic issues.

Better to deal with some teen pregnancy and assimilation issues than to not have a sustainable population to make the country work.

Ret10Echo
01-17-2008, 06:00
The house at the end of my cul-de-sac has (several) "immigrant" families living in it. I often refer to it as the Central American Embassy. That being said, they are out the door and at work early in the A.M., keep the place clean, honk-wave when passing etc.......

As to their status, I can only guess, but I figure when my relatives got off of the boat in Philadelphia back in the early 1900s they did just about the same thing..........

The American citizens of that time didn't think too highly of them.

I'm pretty happy they stayed.:cool: