PDA

View Full Version : Anyone following the hiker murderer headlines here in GA?

kachingchingpow
01-10-2008, 20:13
I live close by to where a lot of the events took place surrounding the murder of Meridith Emerson in North Georgia. Her body was found about 2000 meters behind a close friends house, and her belongings were found in a dumpster near the ballpark that my daughter plays softball at. I go to that QT all the time to pickup ice & drinks, etc. I've watched the sunset from the top of Blood Mtn many times.

Poor little thing... she was held captive for 3 days, experiencing who knows what, then bludgeoned and decapitated. It's looking more and more like the guy might've been a serial killer and GA & FL are now looking back through 40 years of cold cases to see if anything comes up.

This has been a good excuse to re-cert. the wife and daughter in some basic "do's & don'ts," (hiking alone, talking / interacting closely with strangers), situational awareness and the wife's use of OC spray.

One thing that may not have hit the news everywhere, was a police cruiser video that was taken of the guy back in Oct. He's a drifter and apparently squatted on a piece of paper company property about 20 minutes west of where I live. When deer season opened, the hunting club that leased the land called the local PD and they came to run him off. The guy didn't behave like the reclusive monster that some might imagine a POS like him would. He was very animated, talkative and "down right chatty" with the officer. At one point he tells the officer "I'm a former paratrooper, and I'm on permanent field maneuvers." Given his age of 61, and if what he said was correct, there's a decent index of probability that he's a war vet.

www.wsbtv.com/video/15006358/index.html?taf=atl

Think I'll go sit on the couch with the wife a daughter, and relax a while.