PDA

View Full Version : TX National Guard Unveils Newly Formed Green Beret Unit

Team Sergeant
01-10-2008, 14:49
KTEN.com
Hometown News
TX National Guard Unveils Newly Formed Green Beret Unit

Updated: Jan 10, 2008 07:58 AM MST

Maj. Gen. John T. Furlow, Texas Army National Guard commander, passes the guidon to the new commander of C Company, 5th Battalion, 19th Special Forces Group, Texas Army National Guard. (Texas Military Forces photo by Chief Master Sgt. Gonda Moncada)

By Capt. James M. Campbell
Texas Military Forces Public Affairs

CAMP MABRY, Texas - Years of interstate coordination and diligent planning paid off as the Texas Army National Guard proudly unveiled its own Special Forces unit recently.

Maj. Gen. John T. Furlow, Assistant Adjutant General-Army and Texas Army National Guard commander, was pleased to stand up Charlie Company, 5th Battalion, 19th Special Forces Group, at a small ceremony in front of the Texas National Guard headquarters building here in Austin, Texas.

"This is a great move forward in rebalancing the structure of the Texas Army National Guard," said General Furlow. "We'll be able to provide a full spectrum of capabilities and demonstrate what the Texas Military Forces have to offer."

The need for a special operations unit arose because of the continuing transformation of the Texas Army National Guard. Additionally, there were several Green Berets residing in Texas who were drilling with Special Forces units in other states.

"This is a great opportunity for Texas," said the commander of Charlie Company, not identified by name for security reasons. "We've had several Soldiers from Texas that have gone to Mississippi, Colorado and Utah, and now they'll have the opportunity to drill right here in Texas to represent our state."

Continued;

http://www.kten.com/Global/story.asp?S=7604736

austinsf
01-11-2008, 11:21
Team Sergeant,

Thanks for posting this article. We're pretty excited about this new unit standing up, and this definitely helps us get the word out. If anyone on this board has any questions, here's our link and e-mail:

http://www.agd.state.tx.us/rr/19th-special-forces-group.htm
e-mail: ngtx-sf@tx.ngb.mil

thanks again, and have a great weekend.

18C4V
01-11-2008, 17:26
Congrats in standing up the company, it's about time. I also heard that the REC is going away.

H8Leech
01-12-2008, 02:52
is this going to be in SA as i have heard before or the austin area?

austinsf
01-12-2008, 14:40
We've got a few full-time Guard guys working in Austin, but the company itself is closer to San Antonio. We've got guys coming in from all over the state, though, so SA works pretty well for a good centralized location.

Rob_0811
01-14-2008, 09:34
C Co.'s commander gave us an excellent brief on his unitwhen we got back from Iraq in Oct.

He seems squared away. It sounds like it's going to be a good unit.

Just out of curiosity, since it is an SF group, does the unit admin stuff (schools, pay, orders, promotions/awards, etc.) get done through SOC or does it still go through Austin, since it's a Guard group? I've noticed that almost anything that goes through Austin usually gets lost or jacked up. I was wondering if being an SF group helps at all.

Thanks,

Rob

austinsf
01-14-2008, 11:37
Rob, great question. Although we fall under the TXARNG, all SOF schools, training, admin stuff is routed through NGB SOF channels. Other issues that must run through the TXARNG side are given a good amount of priority, which definitely helps us cut through the red tape. One of the best things about standing this company up is the incredible support we've been given by the key leaders in the TXARNG. Bottom line, while standing up a new unit can be quirky, we couldn't have asked for a better environment here in Texas. Shoot me an e-mail or PM me if you have any more questions, and thanks.

4StringSlinger
02-27-2008, 12:49
Just curious how things are going w/the unit so far.

farmertrav
02-27-2008, 16:56
I do not have much to say about Special Forces as I am barely a zygote in the training process, as I just completed the SF Assessment Drill conducted by C/5/19SFG(A) this month and am now waiting to go to SFAS in July.
But I would like to tell anyone reading this post about how professional and serious the Cadre of C/5/19 are. I was not sure what to expect but what I got was professional and straightforward treatment.
These guys wasted no time getting me squared away with the necessary forms and paperwork to get me to the SFAD to try-out. These guys mean business and if you were in the Reserves like me then you can really really appreciate that.
So, if your done looking up SF on the internet and are ready to take the first SERIOUS step towards Selection, turn off your computer, go find a copy of the SFAS PT Booklet(PT 31-210-SWCS) and a Large ALICE pack and give these Gentlemen a call.

Best of Luck,
Travis

4StringSlinger
02-27-2008, 17:55
I do not have much to say about Special Forces as I am barely a zygote in the training process, as I just completed the SF Assessment Drill conducted by C/5/19SFG(A) this month and am now waiting to go to SFAS in July.
But I would like to tell anyone reading this post about how professional and serious the Cadre of C/5/19 are. I was not sure what to expect but what I got was professional and straightforward treatment.
These guys wasted no time getting me squared away with the necessary forms and paperwork to get me to the SFAD to try-out. These guys mean business and if you were in the Reserves like me then you can really really appreciate that.
So, if your done looking up SF on the internet and are ready to take the first SERIOUS step towards Selection, turn off your computer, go find a copy of the SFAS PT Booklet(PT 31-210-SWCS) and a Large ALICE pack and give these Gentlemen a call.

Best of Luck,
Travis

Thanks for the insight, good to hear. I'm in the process of squaring away some personal stuff and looking at joining [finally] around September.

Good luck.

austinsf
03-02-2008, 11:03
Gentlemen,

Thanks for the inquiry and the feedback. 4StringSlinger, to answer your original question, things are busy! Recruiting's blowing up, and we've had to hire a couple more guys to help with the high volume of inquiries and events we've got coming up. We received some great news from the school house, when 4 of 4 TXARNG SF candidates were selected recently. All four went through SFPC I, which I've heard is an excellent program for setting guys up for success in SFAS. Many thanks to the instructors out there for executing such a quality POI.

In the meantime, we've had the company sprinting these last couple of months, going to some individual schools and a couple of overseas deployments. Morale's high, and the state of Texas is all about supporting our little company. 4StringSlinger, if you want to chat about the unit or the pipeline process, please drop me a line.

Thanks again, and take care.

SPCFoster
03-13-2008, 20:07
Very glad to see the unit come up. This unit seems to be sparking interest in a lot of people and bringing prior service members out of the woods, and talking to us about coming back. How is the recruiting side of it going?

The Reaper
03-14-2008, 07:44
Very glad to see the unit come up. I am recruiting up north in the panhandle and from RG1 TM1 we have sent/sending two your way. We have a prior service enlistee that we sent back, and one that is getting ready to go. His recruiter is dropping the ball on him though so I have been keeping him updated and giving him some info on what he needs to do. He is really motivated about going and is very intelligent. This unit seems to be sparking interest in a lot of people and bringing prior service members out of the woods, and talking to us about coming back. How is the recruiting side of it going?

SPC Foster:

Please review the registration message you received when you joined this site, as well as the stickies and rules, and comply.

TR

Defion69
03-14-2008, 10:44
Very glad to see the unit come up. I am recruiting up north in the panhandle and from RG1 TM1 we have sent/sending two your way. We have a prior service enlistee that we sent back, and one that is getting ready to go. His recruiter is dropping the ball on him though so I have been keeping him updated and giving him some info on what he needs to do. He is really motivated about going and is very intelligent. This unit seems to be sparking interest in a lot of people and bringing prior service members out of the woods, and talking to us about coming back. How is the recruiting side of it going?

Thanks for the recruiting support you do for the TXARNG but I would offer a bit of advice and that is: don't speak badly or in a negative manner about one of your own (fellow recruiter, fellow soldier, fellow American), especially in a public forum such as this. If recruiting/personnel issues as you so suggest do exist within your unit, there are other ways to tackle such a beast. Remember where you are posting, the name of this board says it all.

Good luck and take care.

SPCFoster
03-15-2008, 11:46
Roger that.

abc_123
03-16-2008, 19:56
Roger that. I didnt mean to point him out, he is a really good recruiter. What I ment in that is that he just didnt know everything that he needed to tell the young soldier, not that he was doing poorly. Everyone needs help now and again. I am the only infantry recruiter on our team so I am trying to see everyones point of view on everything to make myself a better soldier, and also to learn more. I didnt mean to offend anyone and if I did I apologize. I will be sending more soldiers your way.

Are you in contact with the ARNGSF recruiting team at FT Bragg? They are just now in the process of standing up. If you need the latest info, they can help you out. PM me for more info.

Defender968
03-20-2008, 10:23
I take it the ARNGSF recruiting team at Ft Bragg will handle recruiting across the states, as opposed to each state recruiting independently?

I'm particularly interested as I spoke to the Officer recruiter from the 20th SFG out of Alabama recently.

This leads me to a question... is it considered bad form to speak to another recruiter after I've already made contact with one from the Alabama National Guard? The Chief I spoke to answered all my questions and was very squared away and eager to help, not that I expected anything different from a QP recruiter. In any case my problem is I know that changing states later on can be difficult, and I'm about 3 hours closer to 3/20SFG(A) out of Florida or North Carolina, I contacted the 20 SFG Alabama recruiter not thinking about the way the Guard does business, with each state being independent.

If it's not a foul to do so I'll let the chief know up front, I want to make sure he doesn't think I'm trying to do anything below board, and the answers he gave me were very helpful I just want to make sure I’m making the best decision possible with as much info as possible.

18C4V
03-20-2008, 11:04
I take it the ARNGSF recruiting team at Ft Bragg will handle recruiting across the states, as opposed to each state recruiting independently?

This leads me to a question... is it considered bad form to speak to another recruiter after I've already made contact with one from the Alabama National Guard?

It sounds like to me that the ARNGSF recruiting team is designed to recruit AD SF soldiers who are ETSing. Each NG SF Company will have thier own designated recruiter and guys who help out.

As for speaking to multiple recruiters as long as you don't make a committment or sign a contract it's allright to talk to other recruiters. Most NG SF recuiters know that it takes quite a few numbers to get one guy qualified so the recruiters don't dwell on the fact that you're talking to another recruiter.

abc_123
03-20-2008, 21:43
[QUOTE=18C4V;203385]It sounds like to me that the ARNGSF recruiting team is designed to recruit AD SF soldiers who are ETSing. Each NG SF Company will have thier own designated recruiter and guys who help out.[QUOTE]

1. Incorrect. They are to help with recruiting across the board.

2. That is what has been recommended, but dedicated recruiters at each separate unit has not been funded at this time.

The ARNGSF national recruiting team is not a formal organization. It is, at the present time, a group of hard-working "action officers/NCOs" assembled on the directive of the DCG,USASFC to work on "recruiting" issues within the ARNG SF. This is in recognition of the fact that we are not being as efficient with our recruiting efforts as we should be and to help us do better at our recruiting and retention efforts. Funding for this effort has not been programmed and is being taken out of hide at the present.

They are not intended to replace the recruiters within each state or to take sole responsibility for recruiting of REP63s or those coming off active duty. They are helping to work the bigger, longer term issues and to help with those issues that are systemic and/or that cross state borders. They are, at the present time still largely in the stage where they are defining what the issues are and recommending go-forward COAs. However, if there are issues that aren't getting addressed by recruiters within the individual states they can assist.

They do not have a fomal presence on this board as of yet, however if you have a specific issue / question for them, you can contact me via PM and i'll relay.

HTH.