PDA

View Full Version : Maxpedition

dmgedgoods
12-28-2007, 19:29
Just got a Maxpedition Proteus sack in the mail today. I am quite impressed with the fit and construction. I noticed a "Designed in USA, Made in Taiwan" sticker however, which did not rub me correctly. It seems to be a great bag for all the crap I have which I usually carry in a Ultimate backpack.

Has anybody used Maxpedition equipment before, besides the roly-poly dump pouch? I currently have some Kifaru kit en route, and will be interested to compare and contrast, but if any QP, or anybody has ever dealt with Maxpedition, please inform me of your opinion.

Shawn

The Reaper
12-28-2007, 20:01
Maxpedition is made in Asia, but is decent civilian gear.

If you wanted to have it made in the USA, you could, but then it would cost like Kifaru does. Top quality, top price.

TR

dmgedgoods
12-28-2007, 20:29
Thank you for the input, sir. I am happy you said it is good gear, regardless of where it was made. I will put this bag through it's paces and see how it works out.

Shawn

bricklayer
12-28-2007, 20:31
Just got a Kifaru catalog the other day. Looks like alot of nice gear in there.

Snaquebite
12-28-2007, 21:05
There are actually only a few companies that don't manufacturer overseas. Dosen't mean that it's not necessarily good gear but they can't bid/sell to DOD due to the Berry Ammendment restrictions. TR is exactly right about the pricing, overseas vs, US made and that US made is in most cases going to be better quality materials and workmanship.

BTW a little search for "Maxpedition" will bring up a lot of other comments about some of their an other company's gear.

The Reaper
12-29-2007, 20:29
Okay, I have done some research and gotten some updated info.

It would appear that the company has some policies and actions that I have some serious issues with.

Not looking to influence anyone else, but I would personally not buy anything from them.

Not going to air this dirty laundry, just stating my opinion, YMMV.

TR

Ambush Master
12-29-2007, 22:47
Thank you for the input, sir. I am happy you said it is good gear, regardless of where it was made. I will put this bag through it's paces and see how it works out.

Shawn

On another note!! Ask them if they sell or support STRIDER Knives!!!!

Just a curious question!!

Take care.
Martin

Team Sergeant
12-29-2007, 22:50
I would not purchase anything from Maxpedition.

Kifaru=Great gear, great Americans.

Team Sergeant

dmgedgoods
12-30-2007, 00:44
On another note!! Ask them if they sell or support STRIDER Knives!!!!

Just a curious question!!

Take care.
Martin

Sell? I doubt it. Support? Few, if anybody, at Maxpedition knows of Strider. Good point, sir!
So far the bag is alright as a simple carry-along. I would not trust it, however, to carry gear that is necessary to my survival in combat. I am waiting for my Kifaru gear to make an adequate assessment. I have all faith that the Kifaru bag will make me happy both personally and professionally. Thank you for all the input.

Shawn

dmgedgoods
12-30-2007, 00:55
Okay, I have done some research and gotten some updated info.

It would appear that the company has some policies and actions that I have some serious issues with.

Not looking to influence anyone else, but I would personally not buy anything from them.

Not going to air this dirty laundry, just stating my opinion, YMMV.

TR

I am no longer interested in procuring anything else from this company. I have heard negative things regarding their business practice. Besides that, they seem to have issues regarding their own procurement processes overseas. I will stick to USA made gear.

Thank you for making me dig a bit further.

Shawn

sleepyhead4
12-30-2007, 01:31
The only dealings I've had with Maxpedition has been the roly poly dump pouch so I won't say anything about that company. However, I can suggest another Made In USA gear company that I've had nothing but positive experience with. Tactical Tailor Gear. Not only are the gears made in USA (Washington State), but they are quite fair priced. My team has bunch of gears purchased through them and I couldn't be happier.

On a personal side, I met the owner and founder of Tactical Tailor, Logan Coffey, and he is a true American Patriot. He's a former infantryman turned businessman but without the pompous attitude that comes with fortune. He was even generous enough to buy my friends and me (all of us servicemen, present and past) dinner. A real class act.

Razor
12-30-2007, 13:29
Not only is Kifaru gear made to exacting standards and from very high quality materials, I have met Patrick Smith on several occasions and consider him a good friend and great American. He always takes time out of his busy schedule to talk with customers about his products, hunting, our great country, or practically anything else. Great gear, great company, great guy.

Ambush Master
12-30-2007, 15:26
Sell? I doubt it. Support? Few, if anybody, at Maxpedition knows of Strider. Good point, sir!
So far the bag is alright as a simple carry-along. I would not trust it, however, to carry gear that is necessary to my survival in combat. I am waiting for my Kifaru gear to make an adequate assessment. I have all faith that the Kifaru bag will make me happy both personally and professionally. Thank you for all the input.

Shawn

OH, the Management there definitely knows who Strider Knives are!!!

Ask them, if they deny it..................?!?!

Martin

dmgedgoods
12-30-2007, 15:49

Martin

I do not believe I will be asking them anything anytime soon. I have to make a change order with Kifaru, and look forward to speaking with them as opposed to Maxpedition. I will be keeping the "Made in USA" gear on the top of my list.

Shawn

rubberneck
12-30-2007, 17:06

Martin

I thought the owner of Maxpedition made a public apology to Mick Strider for his remarks and that the two buried the hatchet.

dmgedgoods
12-30-2007, 18:56
I thought the owner of Maxpedition made a public apology to Mick Strider for his remarks and that the two buried the hatchet.

I doubt any hatchet has been buried. Specifics aside, Maxpedition and their bedfellows have been aggressive, and remain aggressive against their competition (if that is even the correct word). "Dirty laundry" is a good way to put it.

Shawn

Bill Harsey
12-31-2007, 10:00
That was a big gap to jump to get from aggressive to what was done to Strider.

One of the old traditions of the better parts of knife industry was to mind your own business and get your work done to the best of ones ability.

This is what Strider is doing.

dmgedgoods
12-31-2007, 18:44
I hate to see business competition ruin ones credibility. I was unaware of a Strider-Maxpedition issues until AM made it obvious. You make an excellent point, sir. Being competitive is one thing. Trying to ruin the reputation of your fellow man is another thing entirely.

Shawn

militarymoron
01-10-2008, 09:23
from what i know, tim from maxpedition was dragged into the mad dog-strider thing by association (tim and kevin are friends). tim and mick had some email exchanges discussing this and from what i read from those exchanges, mick and tim buried the hatchet and moved on two years ago. i have mick's email where he stated that he had 'no problems with tim', and that he considered them both victims of 'idiots'. all i can do is take mick to mean what he wrote. however, because mick didn't say on a public forum that he and tim had settled any differences and come to an understanding, others carry on that fight. i got the impression that both mick and tim would love to put all that behind them and carry on. if mick feels differently than what he wrote, i don't know - you guys who talk to him would, though.

disclosure here - tim approached me to license my rolypolly design BEFORE any of this happened, so i am connected to maxpedition in that regard.
i'm not trying to sway anyone's opinion to buy maxpedition - just trying to help clear the air after the original parties have moved on.

The Reaper
01-10-2008, 09:46
from what i know, tim from maxpedition was dragged into the mad dog-strider thing by association (tim and kevin are friends).

C:

Thanks for giving us your impression of it.

The first sentence was enough to answer all of my questions.

Hope to see you at SHOT.

TR

militarymoron
01-10-2008, 09:55
hope to be there and catch up with all of you again. maybe some snacks at the kifaru hospitality suite again.
as i mentioned to tim when all of this cropped up - sometimes friends go off the deep end; try not to get dragged along.

Team Sergeant
01-10-2008, 09:56
hope to be there and catch up with all of you again. maybe some snacks at the kifaru hospitality suite again.
as i mentioned to tim when all of this cropped up - sometimes friends go off the deep end; try not to get dragged along.

MM, send me your digits (PM) so I can call you when ProfessionalSoldiers.com has a party....;)

See you there.

TS

eggroll
01-30-2008, 16:47
see you all at SHOT