PDA

View Full Version : SOD-E

REMFlt
12-22-2007, 21:55
Is this unit part of special operations command, or something completely different? If it is part of special operations, what is their mission? (I am aware of the difference between Special Forces and Special Operations, but thought members of this board may have some insight they would be willing to share)
I ask because I was searching for a friend on AKO white pages and saw some one with this as their unit affiliation. Some further searching (West Virginia National Guard Bureau site) revealed that it stands for special operations detachment E, and they are stationed in the vicinity of 19th group. Further searching revealed no more information about the unit or its mission, though a search of the persons name found that they were previously assigned to the 10th Special Forces Group (Airborne). I apologize ahead of time if I am out of line here.

MountainMan35
08-29-2012, 19:31
I realize this thread is old but for anyone who is looking for information about the unit, I will give you a brief run down of what we do.

SOD-E is a theater level unit that provides command and control over joint special operations forces. SOD-E also provides support for special operations both inside and outside of NATO's AO. There are seven sections. All of the SF qualified personnel staff the command and operations sections. SOD-E is also able to act at the strategic and tactical level if needed. Just about all of the Officers are SF qualified and there are no slots for Officers below the rank of Major. On the enlisted side most of the members are NCOs with one or two E-4s.