PDA

View Full Version : Now look at what's happening in...

MAB32
12-20-2007, 14:08
This is completely unrealalistic to me even in England. Could this happen here too?:mad:

www.breitbart.tv/?p=13054

grog18b
12-20-2007, 19:25
Just goes to show... They can ban anything. Where there is a criminal will, the criminals will find a way. Bans are dumb...

Moving Target
12-20-2007, 23:20
Why don't they just go ahead and ban large kitchen knives while they're at it :rolleyes:

Sad thing is, the twits actually tried that. Looks like the future culinary business will need black market connections to obtain their utensils.

nmap
12-21-2007, 19:44
Bans are a funny thing.

The war on drugs has been going on, to some degree, for 35 years now. From what I read in the newspaper, see on television, and hear in conversation with school teachers drugs are more available and more pervasive than ever. So - 35 years of banning and aggressive enforcement has not worked with illicit drugs. I think that's telling.

I understand the problem with weapons. People suppose that a law will keep them safe. Because they hesitate to jay walk, they imagine that the bad guys will recoil from getting a baseball bat and mugging peaceful citizens. I question their conclusions.

The tendency to ban weapons will continue until a substantial change in underlying beliefs occurs. That may take awhile.

Bill Harsey
12-21-2007, 20:14
Why don't they just go ahead and ban large kitchen knives while they're at it :rolleyes:

Sad thing is, the twits actually tried that. Looks like the future culinary business will need black market connections to obtain their utensils.

The Docs in Great Britian are working with ya, from the BBC itself: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4581871.stm

The Reaper
12-21-2007, 20:22
Call me crazy, but I just believe that banning certain Islamic immigrants from troubled areas, vigorous prosecution with harsh sentences for criminals, and incarcerating them for long periods, is a more effective anti-crime policy than disarming lawful citizens and punishing them for trying to defend themselves.

"Kill one, scare one thousand" applies to criminals as well. Not too many want additional flow through ventilation, either.

TR

Scimitar
12-21-2007, 20:28
The Docs in Great Britian are working with ya, from the BBC itself: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4581871.stm

LOL, I'm no expert, but can't a sturdy steak knife pretty much do the same damage, punctured lung, punctured heart?

Scimitar

Bill Harsey
12-21-2007, 20:43
LOL, I'm no expert, but can't a sturdy steak knife pretty much do the same damage, punctured lung, punctured heart?

Scimitar

To answer he who's named after a middle eastern curved sword :D,

I've spent some time in the Oregon Police Crime lab (me, not my samples)
and learned a bit more about what punctures things than I'd thought there was to know.
Yes, steak knives work as do screwdrivers, ice picks, welding rods, straightened mattress springs, plexi glass shards, etc.

Scimitar
12-21-2007, 22:22
Yes Blade-Smith-Mister, I've had a thing for North African Aid for sometime hence the name (hoping for 3rd Group if selected).

Funny thing though, as far as I can tell the Scimitar wasn't nearly as popular in the Muslim ancient world as the movies would have us believe.

Apparently it wasn't a very 'successful' blade, and was relegated to gifts and ornaments etc. With the materials they had at the time and the curve of the blade.....

Back-on track…maybe you could share some 'interesting' details from those times in the crime-lab?

Scimitar

MAB32
12-22-2007, 11:06
The hint of the future there came from the woman. Did anybody notice what the narrarator called this woman a memeber of in the interview?

Hint: "Mothers against ______.:rolleyes:

Bill Harsey
12-22-2007, 15:32
MAB32,
To answer you question at the top here. Yes.

Knife manufacturers have been organizing to try and bring some common sense to the knife laws in this nation. you wouldn't believe the incoming waves of proposed legislation against various types of knives, just like the anti-firearms people have been doing.

Scimitar, Any idea how many types of swords are covered by that name?

Bill Harsey
12-22-2007, 15:39
Of course swords historically worked best when no firearms are around.

nmap
12-22-2007, 16:44
Knife manufacturers have been organizing to try and bring some common sense to the knife laws in this nation. you wouldn't believe the incoming waves of proposed legislation against various types of knives, just like the anti-firearms people have been doing.

Sir, in my locale, knives with a locking blade are restricted under the city code. A small multitool, if it has a locking blade knife LESS than 5 1/2 inches long, cannot legally be carried in the city (of San Antonio, Texas). I've included the law and a link below.

My view of the law is more than a little negative; but that and fifty cents still won't buy coffee!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Sec. 21-17. Certain knives prohibited generally; exceptions; penalty for violation.
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to intentionally or knowingly carry on or about his person a knife with a blade less than five and one-half (5 1/2) inches in length, which knife is equipped with a lock mechanism so that upon opening, it becomes a fixed blade knife.
(b) The above prohibition set forth in subsection (a) shall not be applicable to a person carrying such a knife:
(1) In the actual discharge of his duties as a peace officer, a member of the armed forces or national guard, or a guard employed by a penal institution;
(2) On his own premises or premises under his control;
(3) Traveling;
(4) Engaged in lawful hunting, fishing or other lawful sporting activity; or
(5) Using such a knife in connection with a lawful occupation, during such utilization.
(Code 1959, § 26-28.1)

Ordinance URL (http://library4.municode.com:80/mcc/home.htm?view=home&doc_action=setdoc&doc_keytype=tocid&doc_key=34379c621945fe5de98dee217da2a48a&infobase=11508)

Bill Harsey
12-22-2007, 16:58
nmap,
You just described another small headache for everyone, the laws that change from state to state and city to city.

I'd always thought that locks are for user safety.

Here in Oregon if your folding knife has a pocket clip and can be seen clipped in your pocket, is that concealed? No answer yet from our attorney general on this one.

Retired W4
12-22-2007, 18:42
Here in Oregon if your folding knife has a pocket clip and can be seen clipped in your pocket, is that concealed? No answer yet from our attorney general on this one.

Interesting, Bill. The last time I was in town you could buy automatics at the cutlery shop in the mall. I like Arizona. They have a concealed WEAPON permit. One thing is for sure. When you travel, you must examine the state and local statutes of the jurisdiction you are visiting.

Bill Harsey
12-22-2007, 21:15
Interesting, Bill. The last time I was in town you could buy automatics at the cutlery shop in the mall. I like Arizona. They have a concealed WEAPON permit. One thing is for sure. When you travel, you must examine the state and local statutes of the jurisdiction you are visiting.

In Oregon, it is legal to own, manufacture and sell auto opening knives.

It is NOT legal to carry an auto opening knife concealed or ship to a state where it is not legal for a civilian to own one.

The Oregon concealed weapon permit does not apply to anything except a firearm.

Retired W4
12-23-2007, 07:04
Thank you for the clarification, Sir. As to the second line of your last post, it appears the operative word is concealed, at least in regards to your previous post. Best of luck to you and others in your common sense campaign. The article on Rambo Knives in the January American Rifleman may give us an example of the rhetoric to be used by the other side.

Guy
12-23-2007, 11:12
If I'm driving and you attack me with a knife or sword! You can pretty much consider yourself a "speed" bump.:cool:

Stay safe.