PDA

View Full Version : Philippine Presidential Unit Citation for 1st SFGA

mswilliams
12-20-2007, 11:11
All,
Not sure if you all have a copy of this, but just in case here is a copy. The Philippine Presidential Unit Citation is awarded to all members of 1st SFGA, and JTF-510 for the time period of January to July 2002.

Capt_G
12-25-2007, 22:18
Thanks for the heads up. Since I am retired I never would have known.

Divemaster
12-27-2007, 00:43
I found a copy laying around our BTM just before I went to my DD 214 appointment last week. They put it in for me. BTW- the guy who did my DD 214 said that 1st Groupers were the only dudes on post with two page 214's...with the possible exception of some 2/75 guys.

Go For Broke
12-27-2007, 02:01
Anyone know if we have been granted approval to wear this? :munchin <--purchased outside Red Dog Saloon, NEP, KoT, your guess is as good as mine what it is :D

About a year ago, was talking with my roommate from OEF-P, now working at SOCPAC, and he asked me the same question (He is a Marine). Tried tracking it down, but have not seen any paperwork authorizing wear.

Any additional info is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

V/R,

chilly68
12-27-2007, 09:07
You can wear the RP PUC only if it is permenant award. So yes, as long as you were assigned to a unit which received it during the period indicated. It is not authorized for wear if you were not assigned to that unit for the period indicated.

Go For Broke
12-27-2007, 12:43
chilly68,

Thanks for the clarification. Do you happen to have any orders / notices to that effect? I know a couple of other 1st Groupers that were assigned there during the same time period, but have since dispersed to the four winds (not so much worried about the Os as much as the NCOs - promotion points.) Same thing happened with the MUC for the same time frame (awarded, but no notification of the award).

Thanks in advance.

V/R,

chilly68
12-27-2007, 15:03
I haven't added the RP PUC to my ERB yet, so I'm hoping the Filipino award announcement will be OK. Eventhough I've had the announcement for a few years, I only recently found that we are authorized to wear it in the 670-1. I have something awarding the MUC at home (on vacation now). I will post it in this thread when I get back to Bragg.

Divemaster
12-30-2007, 01:25
chilly68,

Thanks for the clarification. Do you happen to have any orders / notices to that effect? I know a couple of other 1st Groupers that were assigned there during the same time period, but have since dispersed to the four winds (not so much worried about the Os as much as the NCOs - promotion points.) Same thing happened with the MUC for the same time frame (awarded, but no notification of the award).

Thanks in advance.

V/R,

Sir,

Shoot me a PM with a good email address. I'll scan and send you what I have. Word around B Co is that it is good to go for wear on the right side. I had no problem getting it on my DD 214.

The Reaper
12-30-2007, 09:28
I may be wrong, but since this is a foreign award, not the US PUC, IIRC, it may be worn as a foreign decoration. That would mean that you either wear it, or your selected foreign wings, unless it goes in the ribbon stack, like some of the VN awards. In that case, I would prefer to wear my wings.

TR

Capt_G
12-30-2007, 13:23
Its a foreign award and not a badge. You are only allowed one foreign badge but can wear multiple foreign awards. In the Army foreign awards are worn on the right side above the pocket. Some are awarded to individuals but many are awarded to units (like teh Presidential Unit Citation). Anyone in the unit when it is awarded accepts it as a permanent award and anyone subsequently assigned to the unit wears it only while assigned to the unit.
I switched to the AF in 96. In the AF you wear all awards on the left side and only wear them if you were in a unit when it was awarded.

chilly68
12-30-2007, 17:00
According to the 670-1 the RP PUC specifically may only be worn if you were assigned to the unit when it was awarded. You may not wear it if you were not a member of the unit for the period that it was approved.

chilly68
01-13-2008, 11:13
chilly68,

Same thing happened with the MUC for the same time frame (awarded, but no notification of the award).

Thanks in advance.

V/R,
PSB accepted this certificate to add the MUC to my ERB. I haven't tried to add the RP PUC yet; I might try it in the next few weeks if I have time.
Sorry Iv'e taken so long...trying to get everything together for PCS overseas.

Go For Broke
03-21-2008, 15:34
Attached is the ALARACT Message DTG 111916Z FEB 08 that announces and authorizes wearing of the PRPUC with the uniform (and update your ORB/ERB)

V/R,

Merlyn
03-21-2008, 16:14
I was in the 1st SFGA at the time.

The LTC commanding 1st Battalion (the one on the ground in the Philippines) tried to get the award exclusively for his unit regardless of the fact that all the 1st was supporting the effort around the clock.

He was overruled and the award was to the entire Group.

longrange1947
03-21-2008, 23:39
That would be the second award of the PUC, that I know of. The first was in the early 70s, 72 I believe.