PDA

View Full Version : Monument Honoring Special Forces

Team Sergeant
05-05-2004, 15:19
Douwe Blumburg has asked me to post this for him.
Team Sergeant

SFA endorses new SF Monument initiative!

The fundraising campaign for the first current, publically accessible monument specifically honoring U.S. Army Special Forces is now underway. After a year of organizing and planning, the Foundation For U.S. Historical Monuments is spearheading this initiative. The board of directors is comprised of private sector individuals along with an advisory board made up completely of Special Forces personal. FUSHM was created specifically to bring this monument to the nation.

Considering the legendary feats and sacrifices of the past half century, and the ever increasing importance place on Special Forces, it is ironic that outside the borders of Ft. Bragg there exists not a single monument specifically honoring America’s “Green Berets”. The budget of 1.4 million will provide for two life-and-a-half size castings, standing 16 feet tall. One to be gifted to the JFK Special Warfare Center and School, with the second going to an appropriate, high-visibility site (as yet un-chosen, interested site querys invited).

The sculpture selected, “De Oppresso Liber!, by Kentucky-based sculptor Douwe Blumberg depicts a 5th Special Forces Group soldier on horseback during OEF, a true representation that highlights the adaptability, initiative and extraordinary courage of Special Forces soldiers everywhere. It is the intent of the foundation to honor and inspire all Special Forces heroes; past, present and future, of all specialties.

This piece was selected for many reasons. Firstly, as the artist worked closely with the Special Forces community during the creation of the statue, it has found great acceptance therein.It is felt the piece portrays the unique capabilities, adaptability and courage of these units in a unique, accurate and inspiring way. The use of the traditionally iconic American image of the mounted warrior, serves for the viewer, to weave a thread of continuity through our history from Paul Revere through the western years to present day events.

The Foundation is very pleased by the recent endorsements of this intiative by the SFA, the SOA as well as MG Lambert of USAJFKSWCS, who will hopefully be able to chair the advisory board.

With most public art mechanisms structured and controlled by special interest groups, this is the only way a piece such as this will be brought to the nation. This is a true grass-roots movement and needs the support of Americans of all gifting abilities to succeed. Your help in any way, from donations, to networking to e-networking and volunteering is vital.

For more info, go to www.usmonuments.org or call toll free 1-866-872-9322

Sacamuelas
05-05-2004, 16:31
Thanks for posting Team Sergeant.

FullGallop
05-05-2004, 16:40
I would be honored to donate at least that amount for the PS.com donation. I'll donate more if possible when the time comes.

Great looking statue and I agree it reflects the unique specialties of SF as well as the history of our countries rugged individualism. Plus the artist is a local boy:D

Psywar1-0
05-05-2004, 17:11
TS,

Looking at the pic you posted, My first reaction was "Why have a statue of an AF TACP"

The devil is in the details, but the XM177 barrel on the weapon in question is something that just really jumped out at me. But then again Ive trained myself to look at little details like that from so many hours of pouring over 18th century paintings and such.

Team Sergeant
05-05-2004, 17:19
Originally posted by Psywar1-0
TS,

Looking at the pic you posted, My first reaction was "Why have a statue of an AF TACP"

The devil is in the details, but the XM177 barrel on the weapon in question is something that just really jumped out at me. But then again Ive trained myself to look at little details like that from so many hours of pouring over 18th century paintings and such.

Tell Douwe, not me....

If the SFA gives a thumbs up, it GTG for me also.

I'm just keeping up with posting all things SF on this site, old and new.

TS

Murphy's Law
05-05-2004, 17:47
I too would be honored to take part in such an event. You have my donation, and my support.

The Reaper
05-05-2004, 17:47
Okay, I'll be the Devil's Advocate.

Too unit and campaign specific for me. As a 7th SFGA guy, I don't remember seeing too many others looking like that.

Also looks like a pretty expensive proposition. Last two SF statues built for us were paid for by a wealthy benefactor, not by collections from donors, and IIRC, were significantly less expensive than this one. To my uneducated eye, the details were much better as well.

Just my .02, YMMV.

TR

echoes
05-06-2004, 03:13
Originally posted by Team Sergeant
Tell Douwe, not me....

If the SFA gives a thumbs up, it GTG for me also.

I'm just keeping up with posting all things SF on this site, old and new.

TS

Thank you for posting this Team Sergeant.

"All things SF"! What a great statement.

Holly :)

echoes
05-06-2004, 17:06
Adding a tiny little bump...(pls do not flame me...)

Anthing Honoring SF Soldiers is something worthwhile to me, a tiny civilian. Great Info TS.

Holly:lifter

FullGallop
05-06-2004, 20:42
Originally posted by Psywar1-0
TS,

The devil is in the details, but the XM177 barrel on the weapon in question

Out of curiosity is it possible to mount and M203 to the 177 bbl.? I assumed the front mounting bracket on a 203 would not fit the thicker area of the FH.