PDA

View Full Version : Holidays...good. Ischemic Stroke...BAD

CosaNostraUSMC
12-17-2007, 20:57
I was feeling abit strange the other day, some unusual things were happening. Loss of motor skills, fumbling with objects, words, and thought. I was forgeting things and having trouble concentrating. The tell-tale precursor was the loss of motor skils on the left side.

So, I decided to sleep on it, but an hour after that decission I re-analyzed my situation and had my wife call for the red/white taxi.

EMTs did their thing and took me to the ER. From there, it all went down hill.

The doc said I was exhibiting signs of possibe stroke, and he ordered up some tests. Got the results back, which confirmed his belief.

Luckily, I was within a certain time window for treatment with meds. So they gave me a thrombolytic drug to bust up/disolve the clot in my head.

24 hours in observation, for good measure, on the docs orders and I was a free man.

I've never taken much for granted in life, and even though I've been in combat, this was a very scary thing for me. I didn't know what was going on, as I had a million different thoughts coursing through my brain, which were compounded by my symptoms.

Anyways, I've been away from the forum since then, and I don't know what my point is right now in writing this. Guess I just need to vent, because I'm so fucking lucky and grateful to be able to enjoy the holidays with my wife and son. I'm thankful for all my friends and the life that I have.

I'm so thankful for the life I've been given as of late.

Combat was a muther fucker and you know that you just do your best and whatever will happen will happen...but...to be laying in a hospital at 30 and to have a doc tell you you've got a clot in your head and there's nothing YOU can do about it just sucks.

I dunno...so many thoughts right now. My mind is blown. All I could think about in the ER was, what will happen to me, what will become of my boy, who'll raise him and take care of my wife? These are things I never examined until that moment, and in reflection, these are contingencies that I have been neglecting and must prepare for.

I dunno, it's been crazy the past few days...sureal

The Reaper
12-17-2007, 21:08
Welcome back!

I think there was a post on here recently about recognizing stroke symptoms.

Did you consider taking an aspirin when you first felt the symptoms?

TR

CosaNostraUSMC
12-17-2007, 21:20
TR,

Thanks!

Yeah, I did take some Bayer...maybe an hour before calling 911.

clapdoc
12-17-2007, 21:24
Welcome back!!!

Gypsy
12-17-2007, 21:54
Welcome back, glad to hear you didn't wait and got yourself a ride to the ER. Take good care of yourself.

GratefulCitizen
12-17-2007, 22:16
Welcome back.
Prayers inbound.

Five-O
12-17-2007, 22:51
Wow, 30 years old is way too young to have to worry about that. Good luck and take care of yourself. Just curious as to your risk factors. Do you smoke, eat right excercise etc. Do you have a history of stroke/TIA/vascular disease in your family?

Sdiver
12-18-2007, 09:12
Welcome back!

I think there was a post on here recently about recognizing stroke symptoms.

TR

Yes Sir, here it is....

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7668

Penn
12-18-2007, 09:55
I also had one at 40. Lost my balance, and thought nothing of it, just continued to work, but noticed over time that my memory was a little off...any way, long story short, had a cat scan and the doc told me I had a stroke,exam showed it hit my memory center. That was 15 years ago, asprin and good scotch is a great remedy. Don't worry you'll be find, but do check your family history. The one highlight for me is that when my wife ask about my past...I don't remember. Take care, Be well and God bless. Penn

f50lrrp
12-18-2007, 10:52
When I was 51 years old, I was teaching a defensive tactics course (PR24) in the local college gym when I broke out vin a sweat and had to sit down because of dizziness. In a few minutes I was back to normal and I pressed on.

When I turned 58, I was working at my computer and stood to go to the restroom and felt dizzy. I proceeded to the bathroom and when I returned to my bedroom, I laid down to take a nap (I never nap) and at six thirty p.m., my wife was shaking me and asking what had happened. I told her that I was very tired and wanted to go back to sleep. She asked when I had laid down and I told her that it was about 11:00 a.m..

She made me get up and go with her in our car to the hospital. At the E.R., I eventually saw a physician and he asked if I had gotten to the hospital within two hours of the "event". I told him that it didn't make a difference because I had been sitting in his waiting room for over six hours before he saw me.

I spent five days in the Cardiac Care Unit and endured Cat Scans, EKGs, X-Rays and all sorts of other tests. I was initially partially paralized on my left side. I worked my way out of being paralized and by the end of five days< I was walking laps around the ward.

The doctor told me that the Cat Scan revealed that I had two strokes. One on the left side of my brain several years earlier and the new one on the right side of my brain. I also was diagnosed with Diabetes.

No one in my family had ever had diabetes or a stroke or heart disease. I was in reasonable shape and the only conclusion that the doctor could come up with was exposure to Agent Orange.

I'm almost 62 years old and in pretty good shape. My left side gets tired before my right does (strange feeling) but it only manifests itself in the late afternoon.

Don't mess around. If you feel dizzy or exhibit any other stroke signs take an aspirin and get your ass to the E.R.. It is better if you arrive in an ambulance because they will see you sooner.

Mike

CosaNostraUSMC
12-18-2007, 15:00
I've no history, family has no history, of predisposed illness that would make me a candidate for this. I eat well and exercise daily for my lifetime, so far. Docs said, maybe an old head injury, but he can't definitively count or discount that.

Thanks for all the kind words, though.

I hope to be around this forum, until I'm as old as some of our older members, here.

Thanks all!

tst43
12-18-2007, 16:06
Is there no end to the great advice that flows from this forum? While I have seen numerous stories related to strokes on the news, it has more impact learning about it from individuals who have gone through the ordeal. Thanks for sharing your experiences and for the invaluable insight.

Remington Raidr
12-19-2007, 20:39
I believe it was Winston Churchill who remarked "there is nothing more exilliarating than being shot at with no effect". Congratulations on dodging the bullet.