PDA

View Full Version : Motrin Allergy?

allester666
12-17-2007, 17:04
OK help me out here guys...

When I was a teen ibuprofen gave me BAD headaches and sometimes vomiting as well. Coming into the Army I was once perscribed Motrin (6 years ago) for whatever reason. I remember it making me tired and not doing anything for the pain really. In the last week of SFAS my left foot really starting hurting so I was perscribed Motrin (of course). I took it and it did relieve some of the pain in my shins, but I noticed when I blew my nose I had blood on the tissue every time. This lasted for about two days after taking the Motrin then stopped. When I got my Xray and bone scan upon returning the Doc gave me Naproxin and my stomach has been hurting when taking it and it makes me REALLY tired. Obvious answer here is to stop taking it, and talk with the perscribing doc. Good luck with that, it takes a month to get back with the same Doc here at Madigan (Fort Lewis).

Anyone else have the ibuprofen family mess with them this bad? I stopped taking the meds as of today, how many days is acceptable to start feeling normal again? I would rather my foot hurt than be a slug with a stomach ache!

allester666
12-18-2007, 17:28
I was really dizzy while working out this morning, hopefully the naproxen is just working its way out of my system...this morning my stomach was hurting real bad and this evening it isn't doing so well either. I gonna give it one more day to clear up and heading to the hospital if it doesn't improve.

The Reaper
12-18-2007, 17:59
I was really dizzy while working out this morning, hopefully the naproxen is just working its way out of my system...this morning my stomach was hurting real bad and this evening it isn't doing so well either. I gonna give it one more day to clear up and heading to the hospital if it doesn't improve.

Are you taking the NSAIDS with food, like the label tells you to?

TR

shr7
12-18-2007, 19:38
Hello everyone, I hope I can be of some help here.

The Reaper is correct, I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that. Especially with the larger anti-inflammatory doses of ibuprofen and naproxen, at the VERY least, take them with a full glass of water. It is recommended that you take them with food (some saltines at least) or a full glass of milk.

What you have here is not an allergy. NSAID allergies usually develop in those allergic to aspirin, where allergic means hives and/or anaphylaxis. You are having an adverse reation to the medication, and a very common one at that. Follow The Reaper's instructions and take with food, or milk, or a lot of water. If this doesn't work, there are NSAIDs that have a decreased amount of gastric irritation.

It will probably be too late for this injury, but in the future ask your Dr. about using a nonacetylated salicylate, such as Trilisate. Also, another NSAID available by prescription only is Relafen. It is used mostly in arthritis, but it can be used in soft-tissue injury as well. If taking with food does not help you, make sure you make the physician very aware of that and come in knowing what your alternatives are. You are the one ultimately responsible for your health, take charge.

allester666
12-19-2007, 16:33
Thanks guys,

Yea I took the pills with food every time, but it kept making me feel like utter crap. Two days without it now and I feel MUCH better. just took some extra strength Tylenol for my foot and am doing alot better. Thanks for the input.