PDA

View Full Version : Physical training w/ only bodyweight

Draco771
12-16-2007, 22:11
I'm having difficulties getting back on track with my normal physical training schedule, due to a shoulder injury I suffered a couple weeks ago, which is now finally getting back on track.

My stomach has gotten fatter, and my arm size has decreased...

I was wondering what kind of workout routine could I do to get back into my normal workout routine. My normal workout routine prior to my shoulder injury was:
(for total reps done)
150 push-ups (5 sets of 20, and two sets of 25)
200 crunches w/ legs 90 degrees on the ground (no stopping, one full set)
100 sit-ups (press for under 3 minutes)
50 squats X 3 (1 set Squats w/hands between legs, touching ground behind heels when reach the bottom, 1 set w/ hands facing forward, and 1 set with arms facing straight behind back)
1-2 mile run pressing for 8 Min pace.
And 60 additonal push-ups (20 w/ arms wide, 20 w/hands close, and 20 w/ legs on table)
and 40 shoulder dashes (two sets of 20).

What could I do to get back on track with this? My shoulder screwed me bad, right now, I'm lucky to do 17 push-ups w/out my shoulder going AWOL.

Running I can get back on track with (hopefully)... But it's the other things...

Any advice/help anyone is willing to give me would be great.

I don't have access to any weights, nor money to purchase a fancy book, so anything that would be all bodyweight would be great.

Thank you for reading this, and any help you're willing to give.

I've looked at all the other threads, and they are all book advertisements... (no disrespect etc. intended by that statement, just they normally mention some book to go and buy...)

Thank you.

GratefulCitizen
12-16-2007, 23:11
I've had to rehab a shoulder (among many other injuries) and here's what I've learned:

1. Strength first, endurance later
2. Rubberbands/soup cans for rotator cuff
3. Ice therapy
4. Patience

Concerning 1: If you can only do body weight excercises, be sure not to excercise to failure in a given set.
The uninjured muscles will be strong enough to allow overtraining of the injured ones.
Limit your range of motion. Partial pushups will help keep the shoulder stable.

Concerning 2: There are cheap "rubber band" excercise tools you can get at most sporting good stores (they resemble surgical tubing with handles).
Soup cans are about the right weight to use for rotator cuff rehab.
Excercises can be done with either the rubber band or light weights (soup cans).
Rotator cuff exercises: http://www.bodyresults.com/E2RotatorCuff.asp
A few words of warning:
-MORE WEIGHT DOES NOT GET BETTER RESULTS, a soup can or 3 lb dumbell is sufficient.
-Do the rotator cuff excercises at the end of the day, when you intend on doing no more excercises.
-NEVER DO THE ROTATOR CUFF EXCERCISES IMMEDIATELY PRIOR TO A WORKOUT.

Concerning 3: Ice your shoulder for 12-15 minutes, every hour or two.
A bag of frozen peas works great for this.
Be sure to get you muscle temperature up (warmup) before excercise.

Concerning 4: It will take as long as it takes.
Working it "harder" than necessary will not speed up your rehab, it will set you back.

Good luck.

Draco771
12-16-2007, 23:17
I've had to rehab a shoulder (among many other injuries) and here's what I've learned:

1. Strength first, endurance later
2. Rubberbands/soup cans for rotator cuff
3. Ice therapy
4. Patience

Concerning 1: If you can only do body weight excercises, be sure not to excercise to failure in a given set.
The uninjured muscles will be strong enough to allow overtraining of the injured ones.
Limit your range of motion. Partial pushups will help keep the shoulder stable.

Concerning 2: There are cheap "rubber band" excercise tools you can get at most sporting good stores (they resemble surgical tubing with handles).
Soup cans are about the right weight to use for rotator cuff rehab.
Excercises can be done with either the rubber band or light weights (soup cans).
Rotator cuff exercises: http://www.bodyresults.com/E2RotatorCuff.asp
A few words of warning:
-MORE WEIGHT DOES NOT GET BETTER RESULTS, a soup can or 3 lb dumbell is sufficient.
-Do the rotator cuff excercises at the end of the day, when you intend on doing no more excercises.
-NEVER DO THE ROTATOR CUFF EXCERCISES IMMEDIATELY PRIOR TO A WORKOUT.

Concerning 3: Ice your shoulder for 12-15 minutes, every hour or two.
A bag of frozen peas works great for this.
Be sure to get you muscle temperature up (warmup) before excercise.

Concerning 4: It will take as long as it takes.
Working it "harder" than necessary will not speed up your rehab, it will set you back.

Good luck.

Thank you, I greatly appreciate this, didn't think about soup cans... And I'll look into the rubber bands.

Thank you, I appreciate it.

Go For Broke
12-17-2007, 01:35
I'm having difficulties getting back on track with my normal physical training schedule, due to a shoulder injury I suffered a couple weeks ago, which is now finally getting back on track.

My stomach has gotten fatter, and my arm size has decreased...

I was wondering what kind of workout routine could I do to get back into my normal workout routine. My normal workout routine prior to my shoulder injury was:
(for total reps done)
150 push-ups (5 sets of 20, and two sets of 25)
200 crunches w/ legs 90 degrees on the ground (no stopping, one full set)
100 sit-ups (press for under 3 minutes)
50 squats X 3 (1 set Squats w/hands between legs, touching ground behind heels when reach the bottom, 1 set w/ hands facing forward, and 1 set with arms facing straight behind back)
1-2 mile run pressing for 8 Min pace.
And 60 additonal push-ups (20 w/ arms wide, 20 w/hands close, and 20 w/ legs on table)
and 40 shoulder dashes (two sets of 20).

What could I do to get back on track with this? My shoulder screwed me bad, right now, I'm lucky to do 17 push-ups w/out my shoulder going AWOL.

Running I can get back on track with (hopefully)... But it's the other things...

Any advice/help anyone is willing to give me would be great.

I don't have access to any weights, nor money to purchase a fancy book, so anything that would be all bodyweight would be great.

Thank you for reading this, and any help you're willing to give.

I've looked at all the other threads, and they are all book advertisements... (no disrespect etc. intended by that statement, just they normally mention some book to go and buy...)

Thank you.

FWIW, I would recommend listening to your doctor and letting your shoulder recover then work on getting it back into shape, you have plenty of time - especially considering you are still a Jr in HS.

Define a couple of weeks ago please - as your growing stomach and shrinking arm muscles is rather confusing. Push away from the table. :D

Walk whenever you can, and if you can't do push ups with two arms - do them with one. Gradually build back into it, using the soup cans, rubber bands, surgi tube, whatever.
Take the NSAIDs (e.g. Motrin, it's not for the pain) as prescribed, and do the range of motion exercises.
Do not push yourself too early - i.e., do not try and go running too early. The motion on your shoulder will hurt...trust me.

Basically, try and stabilize that shoulder as much as possible. AND LISTEN TO YOUR DOC

And WRT $$$ for books or weights - none needed, none used - all body weight for the most part

Just my humble $0.02 (as I am not a doctor, nor do I profess to be one - and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night either) :D

V/R,
A guy who dislocated his shoulder during the jump into Darby Phase and returned 5-months later to go through Ranger School and finished the SFDOQC

And if I might comment on another thread - 3 miles with a weighted backpack ...try again

Draco771
12-17-2007, 10:14
FWIW, I would recommend listening to your doctor and letting your shoulder recover then work on getting it back into shape, you have plenty of time - especially considering you are still a Jr in HS.

Define a couple of weeks ago please - as your growing stomach and shrinking arm muscles is rather confusing. Push away from the table. :D

Walk whenever you can, and if you can't do push ups with two arms - do them with one. Gradually build back into it, using the soup cans, rubber bands, surgi tube, whatever.
Take the NSAIDs (e.g. Motrin, it's not for the pain) as prescribed, and do the range of motion exercises.
Do not push yourself too early - i.e., do not try and go running too early. The motion on your shoulder will hurt...trust me.

Basically, try and stabilize that shoulder as much as possible. AND LISTEN TO YOUR DOC

And WRT $$$ for books or weights - none needed, none used - all body weight for the most part

Just my humble $0.02 (as I am not a doctor, nor do I profess to be one - and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night either) :D

V/R,
A guy who dislocated his shoulder during the jump into Darby Phase and returned 5-months later to go through Ranger School and finished the SFDOQC

And if I might comment on another thread - 3 miles with a weighted backpack ...try again

in the other thread, did not start with weighted backpack at three miles, that was without weight, backpack w/weight was just a suggestion. if it was too easy for someone.

But I atleast want to get myself to atleast phase one abilities of the other thread.

A couple weeks ago was Dec 7 when I shreaded the muscles in my left shoulder. I was wrestling in practice, and we did head and arms, and instead of locking my elbow/arm at 90 degrees to build my base, I extended out, and with my body weight, and my partners, it went "Pop, pop, pop, RRRRIIIIIPPPPP" (it was heard at teh other side of the gym)

It's just shreaded muscle. I was on steroids for the first week w/ a crap load of vikadine. (not Vicodin, Vikodine, a different type of pain killer, I thought it was a typo from my doctor, but it's some form of steroid/pain killer mix, on top of straight up steroids).

I'm in Physical Therapy, but personally, I think there are better ways I can spend my time.

Prior to my shoulder being screwed, I carry a 21.4lb duffle bag, and 53.7lb backpack (full of books, Class+library+additional reading items) reason I know the weight of the stuff I carry is because I've put 'em on the wrestling team weight scale.

W/my shoulder, I can't maintain proper holding of my backpack, duffle bag I usually hung around my neck, I can still do that, but other than that, my shoulder gets too much...

I ice my shoulder regularily now, to keep it from swelling during mid-day.

On an MRI, my shoulder looks so cool :D ! It's like when you hit a windshield with a rock, that's what the scar tissue looks like on my shoulder, it's really cool looking. Everyone at school thinks I'm insane because of it.... (Because normally I laugh when I get hurt...)