PDA

View Full Version : SF ParaOrdnance

The Reaper
12-08-2007, 18:23
It would appear that Para made a run of these for individual purchase by 3rd Group personnel, then made a few more for other SF guys. It has the SF crest on the left rear of the slide, above the safety, and an SF model number on the right slide flat. I understand that the 3rd Group models have a TF designation engraved there.

Steel framed P-14 high-cap in .45 ACP with the Nite-Tac set-up, but with the 1911 single action trigger. Low-profile tritium sights and a light rail. Guide rod. Extended ambi-safety. Scalloped slide serrations front and rear. Appears to be a KG type coating on the frame and slide.

Has anyone here seen one of these?

Thanks to Mssrs. Harsey and Reeve for making the great Yarborough Knife, and to kgoerz for the spiffy Crye bag.

TR

SOGvet
12-08-2007, 21:39
Glad to see you didn't waste any time hangin' a light off it..

Lookin' good! :cool:

Para
12-09-2007, 19:11
The model number is SF-45-A. I have one. The gun design was put together by a guy in my company who is a huge Wilson Combat fan. Gun is tight, supposedly with tolerances around 1/4000. The guy who was working with us at Para passed on and when his successor came in, he about lost his mind because he figured Para was lossing money on the deal. I had not heard that they were producing guns outside of our battalion that did not have the TF Desert Eagle logo.

BTW, anyone who has one and decides they no longer want it, feel free to PM me and I will take it off your hands.

Sinister
12-10-2007, 02:17
TR,

Several of my 19th Group boys here in Bgahdad just ordered a bunch of them with "10th Group" stamped on them. I asked them why they just didn't ask for a 19th Group stamping and the light bulb hadn't come on yet.

The deal they got quoted was $700 for the pistol with five high-cap magazines.

TonyY
12-10-2007, 14:32
And I suppose if they offered them to the old guys out here the price would be around $2000 or better. Nice weapon though.

The Reaper
12-10-2007, 14:39
And I suppose if they offered them to the old guys out here the price would be around $2000 or better. Nice weapon though.

You can't have one where you are. Holds too many bullets.

Might make you lose your mind and kill three more with each mag before reloading.:rolleyes:

TR

rubberneck
12-10-2007, 14:43
You can't have one where you are. Holds too many bullets.

Might make you lose your mind and kill three more with each mag before reloading.:rolleyes:

TR

NJ mag limit is 15.;)

The Reaper
12-10-2007, 14:57
NJ mag limit is 15.;)

I stand corrected.

Five more sheep per reload, if you are using headshots, since hollow points (or as my in-laws call them, "dum-dum cop killer bullets" are also illegal there.;)

TR

Air.177
12-10-2007, 15:52
Para recently did a limited run like this for the TX Rangers as well. (obviously with different engraving)

Blake

rubberneck
12-10-2007, 16:09
Five more sheep per reload, if you are using headshots, since hollow points (or as my in-laws call them, "dum-dum cop killer bullets" are also illegal there.;)TR

Hollow points are legal you just can't use them in the commission of a felony.

The Reaper
12-10-2007, 17:23
Hollow points are legal you just can't use them in the commission of a felony.

Isn't committing a felony already illegal?

TR

rubberneck
12-10-2007, 17:33
Isn't committing a felony already illegal?

TR

You can have and use (at home or for use at the range) hollow points in NJ. You can walk into any gun store in the state and walkout with them no questions asked. If you use them in the commission of a felony (i.e. armed robbery) it brings an additional felony charge on top of the original one.

TonyY
12-13-2007, 07:27
Living in NJ really sucks if you're into shooting. I'm a little luckier than others in that I also have a place in PA. That's where I keep all my assault weapons and other politically incorrect items. It seems most of the politicians and second rate citizens of NJ have that disease called Liberalism so they don't really know what they are doing when it comes to laws. A prime example was the latest attempt to ban 50 cal rifles. They recieved a lot of complaints from black powder users who reenact revolutionary and civil war battles during memorial services and other occassions. Not to mention hunters. So what do they do? They come to gun owners and say we are not cooperating or helping them in passing the correct law. Now let me get this straight. You want me to help you take my rights away. Liberalism plain and simple.

The Reaper
12-13-2007, 07:46
Sorry for the drift off topic.

We now return you to the Para SF-45-A discussion.

Glad to see you didn't waste any time hangin' a light off it..

Lookin' good! :cool:

What can I say, I just happened to have a spare lying around.;)

TR

gtcrispy
12-14-2007, 13:44
I had been hearing about it up here but was having some trouble finding information. I believe they're offering them for sale. Sounds like I need to use some promotion/tdy money and pick one up to go with my Kimber Warrior.

FearMonkey
12-17-2007, 16:05
GTCrispy, I've got contact info if you want one from 1st Group. I already dropped my name in the hat to order a shamelessly self-promoting SF blaster. It's my birthday gift to myself. :D We're just waiting on 35 willing participants to place an order.

C0B2A
12-18-2007, 00:51
They have also made and offered a version to 1st CAV. $750 for the pistol, 5 hi cap mags, and the tac light. I Believe they are doing these for all deployed Units for each deployment because of of the engravings on this pistol is "OIF 06' - 08"

Good deal though.

gtcrispy
12-18-2007, 07:21
GTCrispy, I've got contact info if you want one from 1st Group. I already dropped my name in the hat to order a shamelessly self-promoting SF blaster. It's my birthday gift to myself. :D We're just waiting on 35 willing participants to place an order.

Oh really? My roommate had brought home an order form and I went ahead and filled it out and emailed it to Para Ordnace already. I didn't know we had to wait for 35 orders...I guess I'll see what I get back from Para Ord about the status of my order.

uboat509
12-21-2007, 23:27
I finally just got my 10th Group Pistol today. My wife ordered it while I was in Iraq and had planned to surprise me with it when I got back. It was supposed to have been delivered on the first of November but that didn't happen. Over the next month my wife made a number of calls to the company and was told that the weapon would be shipped on such and such a date which never happened. During this time I was aware that buddies of mine who had ordered these guns were having similar problems but I did not yet know that my wife had ordered one for me. She finally got fed up and called to cancel the order and get a refund that she would use to buy a gun locally. A supervisor got on and talked to her and swore that the gun would be here on Wednesday. It arrived today. Still, I am excited to have this gun and can't wait to get to a range though I doubt that I will order another gun from Para-ordnance.

SFC W

The Reaper
12-22-2007, 09:02
I finally just got my 10th Group Pistol today. My wife ordered it while I was in Iraq and had planned to surprise me with it when I got back. It was supposed to have been delivered on the first of November but that didn't happen. Over the next month my wife made a number of calls to the company and was told that the weapon would be shipped on such and such a date which never happened. During this time I was aware that buddies of mine who had ordered these guns were having similar problems but I did not yet know that my wife had ordered one for me. She finally got fed up and called to cancel the order and get a refund that she would use to buy a gun locally. A supervisor got on and talked to her and swore that the gun would be here on Wednesday. It arrived today. Still, I am excited to have this gun and can't wait to get to a range though I doubt that I will order another gun from Para-ordnance.

SFC W

SFC W:

I am sorry to hear that you/your wife got the runaround. I hate being lied to as well. Just tell me six weeks, if that is what it is going to be.

At the same time, if anyone who carries concealed and likes the 1911 is looking for a good carry gun, the P-12 Lightweight has been my favorite for a long time. The aluminum framed P-12 holds 12 rounds of .45 ACP, is roughtly the same size as a Colt Lightweight Officer's Model or any of the other 3.5" barreled 1911s, and weighs just about the same, with the addition of the extra five rounds. It also takes the larger 13 and 14 round mags (from the P13, P-14, and SF-45) for reloads, so if you carry it as a backup handgun, you can use the same mags as your primary.

Might be worth considering if you decide you like your SF-45 and are in the market for a carry gun.

TR

gtcrispy
12-22-2007, 21:59

SFC W

Thanks for the headsup. I'm going to call them after the new year but i'll make sure I keep up after them if they start to do the same to me.

sleepyhead4
12-23-2007, 01:54
gtcrispy,

I hope the price that you got with Para is same as the one that 1st Groupers are trying to get. I think it's around $650 with all the add-ons and accessories. I was thinking about getting one but it was a little too big for me as a carry gun.

On a side note, the same guy is trying to set up a P220/P226 group buy with an SF crest. Again, those are pretty good deals, but too big for me.

Trip_Wire (RIP)
12-23-2007, 15:51
gtcrispy,

I hope the price that you got with Para is same as the one that 1st Groupers are trying to get. I think it's around $650 with all the add-ons and accessories. I was thinking about getting one but it was a little too big for me as a carry gun.

On a side note, the same guy is trying to set up a P220/P226 group buy with an SF crest. Again, those are pretty good deals, but too big for me.

Yeah, the 'guy' was at the SFA Chapter team house, drumming up orders on these SIGs. It sounded like a good deal. As I recall he got some orders.

I would have liked to order a 220, but I own an older version of the SIG 226 and 220. (No night sights, no flashlight attachment, etc.) My wife would have killed me if I ordered one. :eek: :(

As it is, I seldom carry a full sized pistol, anyway. I seem to carry my Glock model 27 .40 a lot because of the size, etc. :munchin

gtcrispy
12-23-2007, 16:56
gtcrispy,

Yup I got the same price. It's $695 or so I believe. I used the 1SFG order form when I sent it in. Maybe when I return from the next trip I'll consider getting one of the Sig's. My SGM has 226 with the crest. Looked nice. I had a 226 but sold it to a buddy so maybe i'll have to get another one eventually.

gtcrispy
01-12-2008, 19:23
Well my CC along with some other guys were charged last week so it looks like going direct might've worked out just fine anyhow. We'll see if its on the way.

gtcrispy
01-25-2008, 23:02
Picked mine up today. Perhaps because I went directly to Para, I ended up with a Pistol with just two SF Crests and no 1st Grp crossed arrows. No biggie. Looking forward to taking it to the range.

Detonics
01-26-2008, 01:26
My wife would have killed me if I ordered one. :eek: :(

I laughed so hard I scared my dog! "Tip of the Spear" Warrior :lifter with SFAS, SERE, Weapons Training, CQB Training etc, etc. Operational in God know's where doing God know's what :lifter for Heaven know's how long and still ruled by a 'lil ole slip of a girl! The "Universal Scheme of Things" stands inviolate!

gtcrispy
01-26-2008, 20:06
Few quick pics of mine. Went to range to work on breaking it in. Had some malfuctions as far as chambering rounds. We'll see how it goes after I get more rounds through it. The only thing I don't like on it right now is that trigger has a bit more slack then my Kimber Warrior.

Razor
01-27-2008, 12:07
Maybe you'd have fewer malfunctions if you stopped sticking the muzzle up your butt. :D

jbour13
01-27-2008, 12:27
Few quick pics of mine. Went to range to work on breaking it in. Had some malfuctions as far as chambering rounds. We'll see how it goes after I get more rounds through it. The only thing I don't like on it right now is that trigger has a bit more slack then my Kimber Warrior.

What ammo were you using, just seems like a lot of powder burn outside the muzzle.

I say Winchester white box, but PMC does the same thing.

Acetone the slide and any parts that rub together to speed the lapping process and it'll break in faster. Just make sure you clean it really well after shooting before you lube it.

Para's have a finicky extractor setup and some require tuning or spring replacements to make them run good.

Was it chambering the round high (getting hung on the case lip), or just from being a bit dirty. If it keeps up, polishing compound on the feedramp and a good jewelry polishing cloth will fix most small feedramp problems. I'm a Dremel wizz, but don't recommend this for everyone. :D

The Reaper
01-27-2008, 13:12
Maybe you'd have fewer malfunctions if you stopped sticking the muzzle up your butt. :D

Hey, you follow your break in procedures, and let him stick to his.:D

My gunsmith told me that owners with Dremel tools were the greatest source of business that he had.

TR

jbour13
01-27-2008, 13:25
Hey, you follow your break in procedures, and let him stick to his.:D

My gunsmith told me that owners with Dremel tools were the greatest source of business that he had.

TR

That is why I said that it's not for everyone. :p

I played with mine on scrap angle iron as a kid before I even thought of touching a gun. My punishment sometimes was to sharpen mower blades when I had a night out and came home too late. You'll learn early on that brush hogs have Ginormus blades and aren't fun to sharpen with a hangover. :D

gtcrispy
01-27-2008, 14:03

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind :D

What ammo were you using, just seems like a lot of powder burn outside the muzzle.

Acetone the slide and any parts that rub together to speed the lapping process and it'll break in faster. Just make sure you clean it really well after shooting before you lube it.

Para's have a finicky extractor setup and some require tuning or spring replacements to make them run good.

Was it chambering the round high (getting hung on the case lip), or just from being a bit dirty. If it keeps up, polishing compound on the feedramp and a good jewelry polishing cloth will fix most small feedramp problems. I'm a Dremel wizz, but don't recommend this for everyone. :D

I was shooting HSM reloads I bought from the local gunshow. I've fired quite a few of them in 9mm, .40 and .45acp. They fire flawlessly in my Kimber Warrior and through my HK P2000 and HK USPc 9mm.

The feedramp is already highly polished. The rounds would get caught on part of the feedramp angled slightly down. I would just pull the side back a little bit and let it go and it would chamber the round. Often it was the case when i was loading the pistol and releasing the slide though it did happen during normal firing. I prob put around 150rds through it so I'll clean it and see how it functions after I get more rounds through it.

Team Sergeant
01-27-2008, 14:11

LOL Ha Ha Ha, "1911's" ho ho ha ha "lapping process" ha ha ho ho "spring replacements" lol, ha ha ha "he said finicky",LMAO Ha Ha Ha, "feed ramp problem"....LOLOLOLOL make them stop!

Where's my HK USP that has never failed to fire, extract, no replacement parts, ever.....

Do yourself a favor, sell the 1911 clone and purchase a real 21st century piece.....:D

The Reaper
01-27-2008, 14:44
LOL Ha Ha Ha, "1911's" ho ho ha ha "lapping process" ha ha ho ho "spring replacements" lol, ha ha ha "he said finicky",LMAO Ha Ha Ha, "feed ramp problem"....LOLOLOLOL make them stop!

Where's my HK USP that has never failed to fire, extract, no replacement parts, ever.....

Do yourself a favor, sell the 1911 clone and purchase a real 21st century piece.....:D

I suspect that if you could convince HK to make an SF special edition, at a reasonable price, lots of SF guys would do just that.

Looks like HK is about the only one not participating.

TR

jbour13
01-27-2008, 15:01

You're a big ole' meany.......hehe

Your statement hasn't gone unnoticed I'm sure. I have 5 HK's, 4 Sigs, and 2 1911's. There is a reason for the high number of 21st century pieces, cause they work. So do the 1911's and rather well.

You know now someone will now come in and make a Grock comment :p

Now leave us alone and let us spend our hard earned money on fun toys TS.......I kid, I kid. Moving out ;)

jbour13
01-27-2008, 15:10
I suspect that if you could convince HK to make an SF special edition, at a reasonable price, that they would do just that.

TR

HK doesn't participate, they have lived a Hermit like existence for far too long to be in touch with their users, civilian or military.

Most manufacturers are offering incentives for a purchase of one of their firearms. Sig has a $50 or $100 rebate depending on models. Para Ord runs this offer pretty regularly (which is a damn fine one too), S&W has at times offered good pricing for LE/Mil. Glock has the LE/Mil Purchase program. Name a big domestic company that does not offer good deals for LE/Mil, there are few, very few.

Small companies are getting in on it. HK just does it for exclusive rights. I love their guns, but don't like their attitude towards end users. Our Bn armorer doesn't like playing around with the MP-5's anymore because he has a hard time getting parts kits. HK wouldn't even send him a manual for the MP-5 in Afghanistan to help him fix them. They just wanted it to be sent in. I can't imagine civilian customers trying to get something from them.

Team Sergeant
01-27-2008, 15:17
You're a big ole' meany.......hehe

Your statement hasn't gone unnoticed I'm sure. I have 5 HK's, 4 Sigs, and 2 1911's. There is a reason for the high number of 21st century pieces, cause they work. So do the 1911's and rather well.

You know now someone will now come in and make a Grock comment :p

Now leave us alone and let us spend our hard earned money on fun toys TS.......I kid, I kid. Moving out ;)

I also have ONE 1911 in my gun safe and as soon as the "Antiques Roadshow" comes to Phoenix its gone.:D

HK doesn't participate, they have lived a Hermit like existence for far too long to be in touch with their users, civilian or military.

Most manufacturers are offering incentives for a purchase of one of their firearms. Sig has a $50 or $100 rebate depending on models. Para Ord runs this offer pretty regularly (which is a damn fine one too), S&W has at times offered good pricing for LE/Mil. Glock has the LE/Mil Purchase program. Name a big domestic company that does not offer good deals for LE/Mil, there are few, very few.

Small companies are getting in on it. HK just does it for exclusive rights. I love their guns, but don't like their attitude towards end users. Our Bn armorer doesn't like playing around with the MP-5's anymore because he has a hard time getting parts kits. HK wouldn't even send him a manual for the MP-5 in Afghanistan to help him fix them. They just wanted it to be sent in. I can't imagine civilian customers trying to get something from them.

I've heard this quite a lot, I'll have a chat with them (HK Reps) at the Shot Show.....:D

jbour13
01-27-2008, 15:22
I also have ONE 1911 in my gun safe and as soon as the "Antiques Roadshow" comes to Phoenix its gone.:D

ROFLMAO!!!!

I've heard this quite a lot, I'll have a chat with them (HK Reps) at the Shot Show.....:D

You going it alone, or you running with the PS.com PSD??? :p You alone is enough, PS.com members rolling deep = Parting of the Red Sea!!

At least you have the creds to lay on the table and get some attention. Hope it works out. I've been wanting some damn parts for a while.

WTFOver
01-27-2008, 17:33
Am I missing something here or are all hi-cap style 1911's notorious for feed problems? Let me know if I'm wrong here.

And my HK .45 is great, but I'm a southpaw and have waited over three months for my L/S selector lever to come in.

Does anyone have the info or link for the order forms so I can pass it on to us Nasty Girls in Rhode Island?

The Sig 220's are nice, we have a few of then floating around up here. New Englanders are partial their sigs.

Out,
T.

kgoerz
01-27-2008, 17:49
I believe SIG was the first to do this. This too was only available to SF personnel. All the Pistols were numbered.
Is it legit if a company used the SF Crest like the one in the picture and made it available commercially to anyone who wanted to buy?
Reason I ask is I think S&W is doing this with their M&P .45. Don't quot me on the S&W part but I can find out for sure tomorrow.

The Reaper
01-27-2008, 18:36
Am I missing something here or are all hi-cap style 1911's notorious for feed problems? Let me know if I'm wrong here.

And my HK .45 is great, but I'm a southpaw and have waited over three months for my L/S selector lever to come in.

Does anyone have the info or link for the order forms so I can pass it on to us Nasty Girls in Rhode Island?

The Sig 220's are nice, we have a few of then floating around up here. New Englanders are partial their sigs.

Out,
T.

T:

I suspect that info would be a lot more useful to you AFTER you have earned a Tab, if you make it at all.

No point in you having to explain the SF engraved pistol every time you go to shoot if you do not make it.

You are a long way from becoming a member of the Brotherhood right now.

Have you even been selected yet?

TR

jbour13
01-27-2008, 18:57
T:

I suspect that info would be a lot more useful to you AFTER you have earned a Tab, if you make it at all.

No point in you having to explain the SF engraved pistol every time you go to shoot if you do not make it.

TR

I was just thinking this!

I'm a support soldier assigned to a SF Bn. Now, I fend off the remarks all the time when someone asks me where I work. I start by saying Bragg, then progressively work my way to my actual unit if I deem the person has no threat to me or the units mission. Majority of people, both civililan and military, are unaware that SF units even have support soldiers. It does get irratating when a person asks then is visibly upset with me for providing the truthful answer. I've actually been labled a poser on a few occasions for claiming to be SF because someone has introduced me by my affiliation and not my actual job.

I have for years seen this offer and don't participate in it because I do not bear the right to have something that someone works hard to uphold day in and day out. If you made one with the MI crest, I'd be game. I'm proud of my duty and would have no problems showing it on a pistol. I've spoke with both Sig and Para about this and they said send it in and they'd be happy to do it. It would take an extra 4-6 weeks since it's a one off, but they are supportive of any soldier. Besides, they both owe me for help a few years back ;). It's a good deal, but you can get what you want, you just need to know how to talk to people.

I don't claim to be one of the Brotherhood, but I do claim to be damn good at my job and fortunate to be a part of the best damn regiment in the Army. You boys rock, nuff said.

Sorry for the hijack........Soapbox returned

WTFOver
01-27-2008, 20:23
[QUOTE=The Reaper;197352]T:

TR[/QUOTE

Reaper,

Noted; just trying to get info for members of my unit who are tabbed. I wouldn't pull that bush-league stuff, I know my place.

And yes to your question, I'm currently awaiting orders to Q.

abnremf
02-01-2008, 16:42
I ordered my ParaOrd yesterday. They told me it should be delivered in about two months. The beauty is they won't charge my card until they ship it. What's even more beautiful is again, I won't be here to explain to my wife why I'm buying expensive shit. By the time I return she'll have forgetten about it. The never being here thing has worked for home purchases as well. She never gets mad at the moving part, it's the 400 pieces of paper she has to sign everytime and I'm always conspicuously absent :D.

JoeEcho45
02-09-2008, 19:38
I handled the "Deployment Pistols" for my units last rotation over here. I called Glock, Sig, H&K, Kimber and Springfield Armory to discuss specially engraved pistols. Glock would do the LE/Military pricing but not the engraving, Ok deals,. nothing spectacular. Sig would do the pricing as well as the SF Crest, fairly standard deal but we had to have a certain amount of each caliber and size before we could place the order. H&K rep said that they had no special pricing or engraving "at this time" (Jan '07). Springfield Armory quoted me special pricing with or without engraving our Bn Logo on their XD line as well as discounted pricing on extra mags, also without having a minimum order in each specific caliber/size. Wasn't super duper deals, but they did work with us. Kimber, for a minimum order of 25 guns got us Gold Combats with our Bn Logo engraved on the grips and one side of the slide as well as the SF Crest on the other side of the slide and in addition, a special serial number run. No extra mags or anything "else" extra, but the price of $1089 seems pretty good. I will post a pic upon my return. S&W is offering a deal on their M&P .45's and 9mm's. Anyone wishing to take on this burden for their units, email me and I will give you whatever contact info I have as well as what to expect timewise for delivery. Also, just for grins, called DPMS about their LR 308 line with engraving. They said to let them know what we were looking for and they would work with us. As I didn't receive any interest within my unit, I never followed up on it. Sorry fo the long winded post, I normally listen more than I yak, but hopefully there is good info in here somewhere for somebody.

Defender968
08-23-2008, 19:02
The model number is SF-45-A. I have one. The gun design was put together by a guy in my company who is a huge Wilson Combat fan. Gun is tight, supposedly with tolerances around 1/4000. The guy who was working with us at Para passed on and when his successor came in, he about lost his mind because he figured Para was lossing money on the deal. I had not heard that they were producing guns outside of our battalion that did not have the TF Desert Eagle logo.

BTW, anyone who has one and decides they no longer want it, feel free to PM me and I will take it off your hands.

Para I remembered reading this a while back, and while browsing the gunsamerica classifieds I found this and figured I'd give you a heads up.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/941289107/Guns/Pistols/Para-Ordnance-Pistols/Para_Ordnance_PRX1445CB.htm

jbour13
08-23-2008, 20:23
Para I remembered reading this a while back, and while browsing the gunsamerica classifieds I found this and figured I'd give you a heads up.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/941289107/Guns/Pistols/Para-Ordnance-Pistols/Para_Ordnance_PRX1445CB.htm

Para,

Give me a call in the 2 shop or stop by next week.

I have one sitting next to me about 5 feet away. I'll bring it in and I'll discuss the intracacies with you with what I've found with mine.

yasnevo
09-14-2008, 11:49
I suspect that if you could convince HK to make an SF special edition, at a reasonable price, lots of SF guys would do just that.

I really don't care HK's civilian customer service. I am sure, well, I hope, that their military customer service is better. It seems that they could give 10 shits less about their civilian customers. But I have to say, the HK USP I had years ago ran like a champ...

The unit I work with here at Camp Slayer is ordering this pistol too... You can't really complain about the price, $750 is great for the pistol and all the goodies that come with it.

Gonna have to see about getting one...

Y-

JoeyB
10-25-2008, 19:57
These still available? If so is it through Para?

jbour13
10-25-2008, 20:02
These still available? If so is it through Para?

Rumor has it yes. I'm not sure if they've got any that are setup for your assignments. Most are 3rd Grp specific. Mine has the Crest on one side, and my battalion signature symbol on it.

I can check around the area and see. Usually follows a rotation in the sandbox to get enough interest for them to accept it.

JoeyB
10-26-2008, 05:32
thanks jbour

Oldschool45B
10-31-2008, 16:48
We are going to try and get a bunch of the SF pistols from Para without a bunch of the engravings, just the SF-45A markings. THere are a ton of guys that want them here. If you are interested please just PM me so I can get a rough count, we have about 10 so far ready to drop money on them. Para says we need at least 12.

What they told me they need from each of us is an AKO account for verification of service. I am going to bet though that we can work out a copy of the ID card if need be for any really unusual situations. Price quoted me last time we talked to them was $775. My shop will handle the transfers for free and if you are down range we will hold them until you get home and locate an FFL in your area to receive the weapon. We also will not charge anything above the cost from Para but the required shipping.

I hope I did not over step my bounds here, but we are trying to get a buy going and figured that I would offer up what we were working on. If I did, please erase this and smack me upside the head.

JoeyB
11-12-2008, 20:43
Ordered one today, gotta wait 8 weeks :(

Draco771
11-17-2008, 21:42
Are those 45s? NICE!

GrumbleandGrunt
04-06-2009, 21:43
Great price and a great piece of memorabilia that is functional. I really like mine. The thing groups well and is very reliable. I only have two problems with it:

1. The factory MAGs stink. They don't seat well and they seem to encourage an occasional malfunction in the 14th and 13th round if I use it in a 14+1 load. I could go down to 12+1 and be fine, that being said, I want my other two rounds. Rather than sending away and having my mags retooled has anyone found any aftermarket ones that I can just buy?

2. Since the magazine well is so fat it is a little big for me in a weaver or modified weaver grip. I think this is giving me a tendency to group a little low and left. Has anyone installed or used any slimmer aftermarket grips? It doesn't look like the pistol has a lot of room to play with but any bit might help.

blue02hd
04-07-2009, 05:29
Edited

The Reaper
04-07-2009, 06:58
Great price and a great piece of memorabilia that is functional. I really like mine. The thing groups well and is very reliable. I only have two problems with it:

1. The factory MAGs stink. They don't seat well and they seem to encourage an occasional malfunction in the 14th and 13th round if I use it in a 14+1 load. I could go down to 12+1 and be fine, that being said, I want my other two rounds. Rather than sending away and having my mags retooled has anyone found any aftermarket ones that I can just buy?

2. Since the magazine well is so fat it is a little big for me in a weaver or modified weaver grip. I think this is giving me a tendency to group a little low and left. Has anyone installed or used any slimmer aftermarket grips? It doesn't look like the pistol has a lot of room to play with but any bit might help.

Contact the factory about the mags. Mine hold the indicated number of rounds and feed just fine, but I have not numbered them and ran through all of them a bunch of times yet.

The size of the frame is the same now as when you purchased it. The grip panels themselves are very thin and do not allow for much reduction, short of grinding off the grip screw escutcheons and checkering the frame itself. The original frames were even larger and more squared on the corners. There are a couple of companies that reduce the frame by grinding off material and checker the frontstrap, I have one and it feels good, but I am not sure I would do that to a special piece like this.

Still shooting Weaver? I hear that there is a new thing called Isoceles. :D

TR

GrumbleandGrunt
04-07-2009, 15:52
Contact the factory about the mags. Mine hold the indicated number of rounds and feed just fine, but I have not numbered them and ran through all of them a bunch of times yet.

The size of the frame is the same now as when you purchased it. The grip panels themselves are very thin and do not allow for much reduction, short of grinding off the grip screw escutcheons and checkering the frame itself. The original frames were even larger and more squared on the corners. There are a couple of companies that reduce the frame by grinding off material and checker the frontstrap, I have one and it feels good, but I am not sure I would do that to a special piece like this.

Still shooting Weaver? I hear that there is a new thing called Isoceles. :D

TR

I'm going to give the pistol about 300 more rounds before I contact the factory. I might have been quick to blame the mags, I am almost conditioned to assume factory mags are garbage as I have experienced and vicariously felt that problem with other 1911 models.

I'm with you on feeling reluctance to modify the frame of this piece. I just want to dial in my group without adjusting my point of aim. It may just take some more experience with the weapon as I am used to firing a Kimber and Sig, both single stack.

I shoot both isoceles and weaver. I've heard so many arguments and I think each has its pros and cons. Maybe with this firearm I would be better served with an Isoceles. I think it is easier and more stable just less mobile. Thoughts?

tom kelly
04-07-2009, 17:05
Are you sure it is a failure to feed problem because of the "Factory Magazines" Even though the 1911 type pistol has been around for a long time, there can be other factors that cause a failure to feed. Barrel Fit John Browning's orginal idea was for the barrel to tilt up to engage the locking lugs in the top of the slide. However with modern CNC machining the variations within the frames, slides and barrel fit have been reduced to tighter tolerences so some barrels fit tight and others loose in production pistols. Browning did not care how far up the barrel went into the slide as long as the locking lugs engaged the barrel and lock up was complete. The most difficult part is fitting the bottom lug because the slide stop pin has to exert even pressure on both lugs because that is the only way the gun can lock up exactly the same way every time. If one lug hits harder than the other lug it will exert uneven pressure on one side and this will lead to a subtle stress and in effect, warp the barrel a little and after firing as little as 3 rounds the slide will not fully lock up and put the 4th round into the chamber." The above information has been gathered from a number of sources e.g. Les Baer Custom Pistols, John Miller former Army Marksmanship Unit Armorer, Fred Kart, Kart Precision Barrels, Irv Stone, Bar-Stone Precision Machine, and Jerry Kuhnhausen author "The U.S. M1911/1911A1 Pistols" Volumes 1 & 2. Ammunition could be another source of the problem to feed, try different brands and put about 800 rounds of a good commercial manufactured ammo thru the gun. If you still experience problems have a good pistolsmith familar with 1911 type pistols check the gun. Regard's, tom kelly

bailaviborita
04-10-2009, 21:16

Got mine with 7th and like it a lot. Has CJSOTF-A symbol on one side, and SF Crest on other. Was $695 with 5 mags.

JoeyB
07-21-2009, 14:45
Just and FYI for y'all
Got mine a couple months ago and finally got to shoot it. Put about 500 Rnds of factory 230 Gr through it. ehhh
Not overly impressed. Problems/issues I had

The beaver tail got VERY uncomfortable on the webbing opf my shooting hand, It didnt pinch just alot of pressure.

I had a failure to feed on the last round of the mag about 60% of the time (different mags) most could be reduced by "assisting" the slide forward but not always.

Gun shoots low, aiming at the top of the forehead to hit in the upper lip at 15 yards

The ambi safety feels very "squishy" Im left handed so I used the ambi part.

Over all I didnt have a warm fuzzy "feel " to the gun like with my Kimber.

This will probably become a wall hanger or trade peice.

The Reaper
07-21-2009, 14:51
Strange.

Mine has a couple of thousand rounds through it and runs like a top. Never had a stoppage.

TR

JoeyB
07-21-2009, 14:55
TR
sure rub it in :boohoo

El Cid
07-24-2009, 11:24
Just and FYI for y'all
Got mine a couple months ago and finally got to shoot it. Put about 500 Rnds of factory 230 Gr through it. ehhh
Not overly impressed. Problems/issues I had

The beaver tail got VERY uncomfortable on the webbing opf my shooting hand, It didnt pinch just alot of pressure.

I had a failure to feed on the last round of the mag about 60% of the time (different mags) most could be reduced by "assisting" the slide forward but not always.

Gun shoots low, aiming at the top of the forehead to hit in the upper lip at 15 yards

The ambi safety feels very "squishy" Im left handed so I used the ambi part.

Over all I didnt have a warm fuzzy "feel " to the gun like with my Kimber.

This will probably become a wall hanger or trade peice.

Regarding the last round in the mags not feeding correctly, the answer may be Wolff springs. I love what Para offers (hi-cap 45 in 1911 format). I have three (P14, P12 and an LDA Nite Tac).

The one consistent problem I've seen with Para has been the factory mag springs are not up to snuff. Been shooting Para's since 1993 and I don't even bother testing the magazines out any more. If I get a new gun, or new Para mags... I buy Wolff springs and swap them out immediately. In a perfect world would I need to mod a brand new gun? Of course not, but I love the 1911 and have large enough hands that the hi-cap feels great so I tolerate the mag spring issue.

Good luck and I hope it works itself out. :)
Kevin

JoeyB
07-29-2009, 10:08
El Cid
thanks ill replace a couple mag springs and give it a shot. Though I dont mind buying another gun :D Id rather not have one I dont trust. Though it does give an excuse to get a single stack.......

gits
07-29-2009, 10:34
You should check into some Cobra Mags, by far at least my in experience with my Springfield TRP, beats my Wilson mags. No FTFs anymore using Cobra mags. I guess alot of guys over at AR15.com in the 1911 forum give a thumbs up to Cobra mags.

edit:Oh wait, I forgot the SF45 was a double stack. :/

steelcobra
01-13-2010, 13:27
I ordered mine 10 minutes ago. :D

$775 with FFL xfer, 14+1, 5 mags, tritium sights, and locking case included. Marked with 2-10th OIFVII, but that's only a minor bit. (I'm GSC, no I don't like associating with the useless GSB and GSSC elements, but that's another story...)

Will post pics when I get it, estimatedv arrival of April.

The Reaper
01-13-2010, 20:06
They have been running way behind on deliveries AFTER collecting payment (months, not weeks), and there may be some QC issues raising their ugly heads.

Guy in the office got his and broke the extractor, first time out, and two mags would not lock the slide back.

IMHO, you need to wring it out soon after you get it, and get back to Para if there are any issues.

YMMV.

TR

CSM-H
01-25-2010, 08:06
The Reaper, hey I guess I am lucky or stuck on stupid (I know I said it) I have bought so far the M&P .45 ( out of a Fayetteville buy) with SF Crest on top of slide, the Para-Ord from 1st Grp (nice gun) and the Kimber Warrior, 1st Grp and oh ya I still have my Springfield .45. What can I say I like .45's Mott Lake ruined me... :) CSM-H

It would appear that Para made a run of these for individual purchase by 3rd Group personnel, then made a few more for other SF guys. It has the SF crest on the left rear of the slide, above the safety, and an SF model number on the right slide flat. I understand that the 3rd Group models have a TF designation engraved there.

Steel framed P-14 high-cap in .45 ACP with the Nite-Tac set-up, but with the 1911 single action trigger. Low-profile tritium sights and a light rail. Guide rod. Extended ambi-safety. Scalloped slide serrations front and rear. Appears to be a KG type coating on the frame and slide.

Has anyone here seen one of these?

Thanks to Mssrs. Harsey and Reeve for making the great Yarborough Knife, and to kgoerz for the spiffy Crye bag.

TR

Buckles
03-15-2010, 11:27
I ordered two of 1st SFG(A) versions of them before the '08 rotaton in Iraq, paid $725 each, both shoot great, my son and I have put a little over 500 rounds through each of them, we havent had any issuses with them, although I am going to replace the arched mainspring housing with a flat one, just feels better in my hand

jbour13
03-15-2010, 15:53
I ordered two of 1st SFG(A) versions of them before the '08 rotaton in Iraq, paid $725 each, both shoot great, my son and I have put a little over 500 rounds through each of them, we havent had any issuses with them, although I am going to replace the arched mainspring housing with a flat one, just feels better in my hand

Have they started shipping with metal (not MIM parted) mainspring housings?

One of my guys purchased one in '06 and I replaced it. Too many 1911/1911 variant manufacturers skimp on some of these builds and that is the most commonly replaced item for guys that bring them to me to add.

I AM NOT A GUNSMITH (my disclaimer) :D

steelcobra
05-23-2010, 15:02
Recent E-Mail I got:

Ladies and Gentleman,

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your interest in our program. Unfortunately, the factory has a bottleneck in production, due to large amounts of commemorative pistol orders.

We are fully committed to producing these pistols and would appreciate your continued patience as we clear up our backlog. We are running the factory exclusively for this program and are close to completing the orders. We are hoping to have most of your orders shipping out in a timely manner. We do apologize for any inconvenience this delay may have caused you, and assure you that our commitment to your product is our top priority.

Sincerely,

Para Special Programs Department

Don't really have a problem waiting, but it is annoying that they aren't specific.

The Reaper
05-24-2010, 01:18
That probably explains why they are not doing the guns for this 3rd Group deployment.

Lots of hassles last time, slow delivery, QC issues.

The guns this time are SIGs, DPMS, and S&Ws.

TR

steelcobra
06-09-2010, 19:08
And picked it up today.

JoeyB
07-06-2010, 13:21
Which companies are making holsters for these? tactical and concealed?

El Cid
07-11-2010, 20:28
Which companies are making holsters for these? tactical and concealed?

Any holster for a 1911 w/ rail will work. Obviously you'll have to choose based upon whether or not you have a light mounted. My personal preferences would be Safariland 6004 for duty/tac (w/ an X300), and a Raven Concealment Phantom for concealed (w/ the X300 also).