PDA

View Full Version : Frankfurt, Germany

Roguish Lawyer
12-06-2007, 13:37
I have a very long layover (like 8 hours) in Frankfurt on a trip I need to take in January. Does anyone familiar with the city have suggestions for anything I could do there during this layover? I have not been there before. Thanks.

Rogue
12-06-2007, 14:01
Travelers with lay over in Frankfurt usually love to see the following.
Mainzer Dom (Mainz Cathedral)
The most famous sight in Mainz is its huge Dom St Martin and St Stephan (Cathedral).

Markt & the Gutenberg Museum
On Marktplatz – the market square and center of all festivals including the Christmas market.

Chagall Windows
It is absolutely worth the hike up the hill from the old town to the St Stephanskirche (St Stephan’s Church). This church has some of the most remarkable windows in the world.

CosaNostraUSMC
12-06-2007, 18:22
Honestly, when I was there it was a landing at Frankfurt (via Schipol in the NL) and then a drive to Mannheim. I spent a month there as a 18 yr old kid, of legal drinking age, and no planned itinerary. I was a guest to an Uncle and Aunt who were residing there. We went to all the places the locals go to... and it was a blast!

8 hours... I'm not sure you'd have time to hit a lot of "touristy" spots, and why would you want to? No sir, I'd get out of the airport and into downtown Frankfurt ASAP, and let the chips fall where they may.

Unfortunately, you'll be a far cry from Munich and Berlin, both a lot of fun.

One thing I recommend doing... ask a local where you can get good "LEBERKNODEL". Go and have some with whatever kind of beer you like. I like "SPATEN" beer. Both, the beer and the dish, are favorites of those from Munich/Bavaria. Very delicious.

I'd spend a majority of my time on foot, with only 8 hours, and downtown. There's plenty to see and do. Or you can get a rail pass, and go virtually anywhere, quite efficiently and on the cheap.

Viel Glück und viel Spaß!

Roguish Lawyer
12-06-2007, 19:30
I like "SPATEN" beer.

Me too, especially the Optimator.

Jack Moroney (RIP)
12-06-2007, 19:54
They have a great zoo.

You are talking about Frankfurt am Main and not Frankfurt an der Oder I assume.

Ambush Master
12-06-2007, 20:00
RL,

Watch your time!! Airport Security OCONUS can be even worse than HERE!!! You might be able to get out to somewhere, but can you get back "in" in time?!?!?!

Later
Martin

Roguish Lawyer
12-06-2007, 20:56
They have a great zoo.

You are talking about Frankfurt am Main and not Frankfurt an der Oder I assume.

I am talking about the one with a really big international airport. ;)

Roguish Lawyer
12-06-2007, 20:57
RL,

Watch your time!! Airport Security OCONUS can be even worse than HERE!!! You might be able to get out to somewhere, but can you get back "in" in time?!?!?!

Later
Martin

Right, I was just thinking of finding a good restaurant or somewhere I could go for a couple of hours.

CosaNostraUSMC
12-06-2007, 21:09
Me too, especially the Optimator.

Ah yes... Germany's Guiness! 7 or 8 krugs of that stuff...... :eek:

RL,
I know it sounds cliche, but find a local hoffbrau or pub outside Frankfurt Intl. Cop a squat with some good food and drink, take in the atmosphere, and chill. Most pubs in EU have kitchens and good food. You can mingle and talk shop with the indigenous people there... which is always comical at a pub.

Last time I checked, it's quite a haul to EU from here. Whatever you decide to do, get the hell out of the airport, stretch your legs, and relax.

Oh, and check out what the airport security at Frankfurt Intl is "packin"... both slung and holstered!
The TS would approve, I'm sure!

Roguish Lawyer
12-07-2007, 11:07
Only one 10th Group response? Is Frankfurt really far from the Fulda or something? :munchin;)

CosaNostraUSMC
12-07-2007, 11:30
I do know, that it's roughly 300 km from the Hk HQ, which is in Oberndorf in the state of Baden-Württemberg.;)

The Reaper
12-07-2007, 11:50
I do know, that it's roughly 300 km from the Hk HQ, which is in Oberndorf in the state of Baden-Württemberg.;)

Hmm, one AMG 55 rental at Frankfurt, max speed on the autobahn to Oberndorf, call it 90 minutes each way at 155 mph, leaves an hour or two to tour and get some cool toys before grabbing a beer and heading back.

TR

AF IDMT
12-07-2007, 12:49
Town: Waldorf (about 15-20 minutes from the Airport)
Address: An Den Tennis Platzen 13-17 64546 Morf.walldorf
Place: Grun und Weiss Kamin
Phone: 0610574463
Ask for Victor, he was our favorite waiter.
A great place for food, the spaghetti carmello is awesome. Victor took care of us for the entire four years we were stationed at Rhien Main before it closed. If you have any other questions let me know.
Aaron

x SF med
12-07-2007, 14:44
Only one 10th Group response? Is Frankfurt really far from the Fulda or something? :munchin;)

The time I spent in Deutschland was not anywhere near where you are going, we only made 1/2 way flights, and the layovers were generally in the 10-45 day range...

CosaNostraUSMC
12-07-2007, 15:29
Hmm, one AMG 55 rental at Frankfurt, max speed on the autobahn to Oberndorf, call it 90 minutes each way at 155 mph, leaves an hour or two to tour and get some cool toys before grabbing a beer and heading back.

TR
Just what I was thinking. Kill 3 birds with one stone=Autobahn experience, awesome beers, and Hk land! It's everyman's dream 8-hour layover! !:D:lifter

Jack Moroney (RIP)
12-07-2007, 15:41

Wrong stomping grounds both for peace and cold war. Now if you were laying over in Müchen, Stuttgart, or even Heildelberg you would get a lot more input. Frankfurt was leg country, Fulda, tank country, and we had nothing to do with folks that wandered around the battlefield ensconced in 60 plus tons of homosexual steel.

lksteve
12-08-2007, 10:21
Only one 10th Group response?Frankfurt AM was someplace we got stuck...if we wound up in Rhein-Main, we had guns and equipment and were not allowed to sojourn into town...we usually had a C-Ration in lieu of haute cuisine and chased it down with canteen water, as firing up a stove is frowned upon in hangars...

Is Frankfurt really far from the Fulda or something? :munchin;)We had no business in Fulda...any business we may have had would have been east of there...the 11th ACR had Fulda, the 2nd ACR had Hof and Passau...

Nurenburg, Munchen, and Stuttgart (SOTFE's HQ), Berchtesgarten and Garmish were places we could help you out with...

Counsel, your knowledge of things 10th Group is sorely lacking...:D

The Reaper
12-08-2007, 10:30
the 11th ACR had Fulda, the 2nd ACR had Hof and Passau...

Ah, the dreaded cav DIP mission.:D

TR

Roguish Lawyer
12-08-2007, 11:41
I have been to Munchen, Berlin and Stuttgart, and Munchen is easily my favorite city in Germany.

lksteve
12-08-2007, 11:44
I have been to Munchen, Berlin and Stuttgart, and Munchen is easily my favorite city in Germany.Well, you need to plan your next trip so that you are laid over in Munchen...:munchin

f50lrrp
12-09-2007, 11:07
I remember being in a Snack Bar in Frankfurt (1965) with Fel Madarang (then SFC). We were waiting for transportation to the Bahnhof to go to Berlin when a second lieutenant with a V-Corps patch on his shoulder came over and asked about the Pathfinder patch that Fel was wearing on his lower sleeve of his Class-A jacket.

Without batting an eye, Madarang told the 2LT that he was one of the Olympic Torch bearers in the 1964 Rome Olympics. The 2LT was amazed that a non-military patch would be authorized on a Army uniform.

mike-munich
12-20-2007, 05:43
Well, you need to plan your next trip so that you are laid over in Munchen...

Excellent. My turf. You guys have a safehouse here. :cool:

Airbornelawyer
02-29-2008, 12:45
RL, this is the rebuilt Roman fort and museum I mentioned. Like I said, you'd probably have gotten lost trying to find it in just a few hours' layover, but if you have time, it's a good thing to see in the Frankfurt area.

Airbornelawyer
02-29-2008, 12:46
Some more:

C46thVA
04-12-2008, 08:22
On my last trip to Frankfurt I wasnt sure if I was in Germany or Turkey. Watch yourself around the HauptbahnHof, lots of shady characters. Check out the Berlin Airlift memorial while your at the airport. IIRC there is a restored USAF C-47 on display as well.

JDW