PDA

View Full Version : dilemma

grumpz
12-03-2007, 23:47
QP's

I am currently talking with my recruiter about joining the army. I am looking at two options right now. One is to take an 18x contract and do college classes whenever I can during the next 5-6 years. Or I can join the ROTC at my local university, become an officer and tryout for SF after 3 years once I am a captain.

I have heard officers in the army are treated much better and make more money compared to other people who enlist, which makes this route attractive to me, but the time i would have to wait to tryout for SF makes me not like it as much.

I really am torn on what would be the best way to go about things. Becoming an SF soldier would be a dream come true, but having a college degree is also very important to me.

Any opinions or thoughts on my current situation are appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Dan (grumpy)

Pete S
12-03-2007, 23:59
QP's
I am currently talking with my recruiter about joining the army. I am looking at two options right now. One is to take an 18x contract and do college classes whenever I can during the next 5-6 years. Or I can join the ROTC at my local university, become an officer and tryout for SF after 3 years once I am a captain.

How do you know you will still want to go SF after that point?

I have heard officers in the army are treated much better and make more money compared to other people who enlist, which makes this route attractive to me, but the time i would have to wait to tryout for SF makes me not like it as much.

If it is all about the money the military isn't the place for you. Do something that you have a passion for or interest is doing.

I really am torn on what would be the best way to go about things. Becoming an SF soldier would be a dream come true, but having a college degree is also very important to me.

Prioritize what you want to do. Is it being in the military or getting a college education? Not everybody is cut out for the military.

GratefulCitizen
12-04-2007, 00:01
:munchin

brownapple
12-04-2007, 00:04
I have heard officers in the army are treated much better

This is important to you, huh?

Go ROTC. Ask for Finance, AG, Quartermaster when you do your wish list.

In the Combat Arms? We make an effort to treat our Soldiers better than ourselves.

The Reaper
12-04-2007, 06:07
QP's

Any opinions or thoughts on my current situation are appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Dan (grumpy)

Dan:

Stay in school.

Skip the military.

Make lots of money and be treated nicely.

Frankly, I do not see you as an SF officer or enlisted man.

Best of luck.

TR

Jack Moroney (RIP)
12-04-2007, 06:08
I have heard officers in the army are treated much better and make more money compared to other people who enlist, which makes this route attractive to me, but the time i would have to wait to tryout for SF makes me not like it as much.)

Before I even begin to entertain this post I have a reading assignment for you. Find a copy of Department of the Army Pamphlet No. 600-2 and read it. Once you have completed it I will tell you what I expected of my officers and from officers in general.

monsterhunter
12-04-2007, 09:19
Did you learn nothing after posting crap across the street? Go to school. Your mind set is not where it should be yet.

grumpz
12-04-2007, 11:58
I thank everyone who has responded in this thread for your opinions.

QP Jack Moroney, thank you for directing me to that pamphlet. It answered many of my questions.

incommin
12-04-2007, 13:30
Officers treated better than enlisted? I wish I had known that; I wouldn't have turned down that direct commission I was offered!

Jim