PDA

View Full Version : Rig pic

Ghostrider
05-04-2004, 11:36
Front of SOTECH Hellcat MKI with added bib, Internal holster module, and padded shoulder harness/hydration pouch.

Pouches (l to r): Maxpedition mini-rolly poly (militarymoron design), EGL PLP, 2 Paralcete double M4 mag pouches, EGL FUGLY (modded by eggroll to include fastex buckles), LBT radio pouch, and Paraclete Quad M9 magazine pouch (on bib).

I don't know if it's the lighting but the rig is actually OD.

Footmobile
05-04-2004, 11:40
Very nice. How does it ride over armor?

Ghostrider
05-04-2004, 11:43
Originally posted by Footmobile
Very nice. How does it ride over armor?

Haven't had the chance to try it yet (just got it set up yesterday)....I've got drill next weekend and will be putting on to fit it right and I'll let you know.

Footmobile
05-04-2004, 11:45
What was the total cost out the door? About 3 bills or so?

Ghostrider
05-04-2004, 11:55
What was the total cost out the door? About 3 bills or so?

Yeah, just bit over that...some of the stuff came from trades and/or clearance (the 'clete M4 pouches specifically). Fact is, I don't really want to add it all up.....I may give myself a heart attack :eek: . But given the modularity of it and the different options of wear (full set up, just Hellcat, Hellcat w/bib, etc.) it should be in service for a LONG time, so long term I feel it's a good value.....well of course, as long as I can curb the "gear-addiction". lol!

Footmobile
05-04-2004, 11:58
Originally posted by Ghostrider
.....well of course, as long as I can curb the "gear-addiction". lol!

It never ends! There is always something in the works that makes your old kit seem obsolete as a mofo!

Ghostrider
05-04-2004, 12:09
It never ends! There is always something in the works that makes your old kit seem obsolete as a mofo!

Ain't that the truth? But I'm going to exert some self-discipline :lifter . Besides, "the look" from HH6 when a new package arrives is getting a bit scary....

Razor
05-04-2004, 14:24
Only 4 rifle mags...must be a tanker's rig. :p

Air.177
05-04-2004, 14:35
Solid, Clean out your Mailbox
That is all

The Reaper
05-04-2004, 16:42
Originally posted by Razor
Only 4 rifle mags...must be a tanker's rig. :p

Doesn't the Hellcat he is using hold six internally?

TR

Psywar1-0
05-04-2004, 17:45
yep he can hold 10.

That seems to be the best bet with any of the hellcat setups. The 6 internals and 4 on the outside I like to add a redimag or magcinch so that I have an even 12 at the ready. Another 6 normal mags on the ruck and 2 mags of all tracer. But hey I dont have to hump it much, the Helo does the humping for me.

Razor
05-04-2004, 19:55
Aw, you guys spoiled all my 'pick on the tanker' fun. ;)

Ghostrider
05-04-2004, 20:43
Aw, you guys spoiled all my 'pick on the tanker' fun. ;)

That's because they know when it's cold, wet, or windy in the field there's few things better than standing behind an M1A1's exhaust getting nice and toasty! ; ).

The Reaper
05-04-2004, 20:47
That's because they know when it's cold, wet, or windy in the field there's few things better than standing behind an M1A1's exhaust getting nice and toasty! ; ).

Never seen an M-1 in the field, just in the motor pool.

As an SF guy, I have a better chance of warming up behind a T-72 than an M-1.

TR

Ghostrider
05-04-2004, 20:56
Originally posted by The Reaper
Never seen an M-1 in the field, just in the motor pool.

As an SF guy, I have a better chance of warming up behind a T-72 than an M-1.

TR

TR Sir,

Like I've mentioned before you are more than welcome to visit when you're in the Las Vegas area.....all my tanks are back in preparation for Gunnery. Heck my readiness NCO just gave a bunch of rides/driving time to some Air Force guys.:)

Ghostrider
05-04-2004, 23:43
Originally posted by Psywar1-0
yep he can hold 10.

That seems to be the best bet with any of the hellcat setups. The 6 internals and 4 on the outside I like to add a redimag or magcinch so that I have an even 12 at the ready. Another 6 normal mags on the ruck and 2 mags of all tracer. But hey I dont have to hump it much, the Helo does the humping for me.

Yes 10 mags...however, in a pinch the EGL PLP (and even the mini-rolly poly) will fit at least a couple mags from what I can tell. Plus the beauty of the modular system is that pouches can be mixed and matched based on the mission. More ammo, replace a gp pouch for another ammo pouch. The possibilities are endless:cool: .

eggroll
05-05-2004, 23:28
Incoming gear to be released in the next 2-3 weeks for your viewing pleasure :P

molsen
05-07-2004, 09:03

Are you talking about the sketches you showed me the other day ago?!?!

NousDefionsDoc
05-07-2004, 22:36
Nice rig Tank Boy.

Ghostrider
05-08-2004, 07:31
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
Nice rig Tank Boy.

Thanks NDD......but no "you're a tanker, you wouldn't know what to do with that rig" comment????? You must be working very hard right now.;)

NousDefionsDoc
05-08-2004, 09:46
Have to give credit where credit is due.:D

Alex F
05-26-2004, 14:41
Now, when you're bending over the side to get your tray of food from the loader, do you have to compensate for the extra weight on the front?

;)

lol

Ghostrider
05-26-2004, 14:51
Originally posted by Alex F
Now, when you're bending over the side to get your tray of food from the loader, do you have to compensate for the extra weight on the front?

lol

No, my loader serves my food by placing in front of me....great service! ;) LOL!

Alex F
05-26-2004, 15:00
All kidding aside, that's a great rig you've got there. I'm leaning towards a MAV myself.

For uh... range use. And the odd end of the world scenario.

High Speed
05-26-2004, 17:20
Originally posted by eggroll

Now that's not my new gear is it ? :D
Egg , be shootin some new Interceptor add-on material pic's to you in a few days . Got the proto-type started today . For EGG's philosophy , you can carry up to 24 mags and 2 100oz. bladders before you add any other pouches ! Good-bye arm-pit burns , LOL !!!

Gene

37F5V
05-27-2004, 05:50
GR,

I used to be a DAT myself a few years back (A Co 1/68).... How in the hell are you going to fit in the TC hatch with that thing on?

John:confused:

Ghostrider
05-27-2004, 07:15
Originally posted by PSYRGR
GR,

I used to be a DAT myself a few years back (A Co 1/68).... How in the hell are you going to fit in the TC hatch with that thing on?

Good question. I think if I arrange the pockets just right it should work. Because the majority of the mag pockets are internal the rig is pretty "low profile"......even if it doesn't work that's ok because I'm not doing much tanking myself anymore so I mainly set it up for hummer mounted/dismounted activity. :(

I'll be T&Eing ove the next few months and will update

The Reaper
05-27-2004, 10:39
Good question. I think if I arrange the pockets just right it should work. Because the majority of the mag pockets are internal the rig is pretty "low profile"......even if it doesn't work that's ok because I'm not doing much tanking myself anymore so I mainly set it up for hummer mounted/dismounted activity. :(

I'll be T&Eing ove the next few months and will update

It is your decision, but I disagree with you on wearing it in a vehicle.

In an armored vehicle, you take a hit, roll into a body of water or have an on board fire and try to unass the vehicle blind, disoriented, on fire, or seriously injured, that stuff is going to trap you and may cause someone else to be stuck trying to get you out. I wouldn't wear anything I couldn't easily exit with, and put the rest in a bustle rack. The tank or Brad is the weapon, you need to be configured to fight that, not as an infantryman.

In a Hummer, you need to be able to operate the crew served weapons, if any, and get in and out quickly.

Dismounted, you need to be able to fight and render first aid with what you have on, so you may be okay for that mission.

Just my .02.

TR

Razor
05-27-2004, 11:05
Damn, well-spoken for a 'light' guy. :D Seriously, I'd put any dismounted gear in the bustle rack (maybe even your rifle, snap-linked to the rack and loosley wrapped up), like TR suggested, and grab it on the way out the turret. Of course, tankers have the luxury of spacious living in their turrets, unlike their cramped, sardine-like Bradley bretheren (especially when you're 6'2" and 195lbs).

Alex F
05-27-2004, 14:26
Hey, you can sleep on the floor of the Brad turret if you're tired enough.

:)

Razor
05-27-2004, 14:44
Done that more than once, if you want to call it sleep. Actually, its more comfortable just sleeping sitting up.

Alex F
05-27-2004, 14:58
Although the prime non-crew spot was always the hell hole. Toss yourself on top of the rucks and other crap that ended up in there and it was a nice spot. I think the best place is the driver's seat though.

Razor
05-27-2004, 15:02
Agreed, but I didn't often find myself in the driver's seat. ;)

mffjm8509
05-27-2004, 15:09
It is your decision, but I disagree with you on wearing it in a vehicle.

In an armored vehicle, you take a hit, roll into a body of water or have an on board fire and try to unass the vehicle blind, disoriented, on fire, or seriously injured, that stuff is going to trap you and may cause someone else to be stuck trying to get you out. I wouldn't wear anything I couldn't easily exit with, and put the rest in a bustle rack. The tank or Brad is the weapon, you need to be configured to fight that, not as an infantryman.

In a Hummer, you need to be able to operate the crew served weapons, if any, and get in and out quickly.

TR

To elaborate on what TR said just a bit. What we are opting with is nothing on but body armor while in the cupola. This allows him to move freely around and quickly drop inside the vehicle in case of a rollover, or hop out quickly wihtout getting his gear caught up. The gunners kit is strapped on top of the vehicle but not the M4. The M4 will be worn with either an assault sling or fastex fastener so the gunner can quickly transition should the crew served go down.

mp

Alex F
05-27-2004, 15:22
Agreed, but I didn't often find myself in the driver's seat. ;)

After my first go around as a driver, I never did either.

I did get to play with the video game systems they developed for gunners prior to ETSing, though. It was: A: college, ROTC, and college women, or B: reenlist, E5, and gunner.

Ghostrider
05-28-2004, 07:06

Dismounted, you need to be able to fight and render first aid with what you have on, so you may be okay for that mission.

Just my .02.

TR

Well that does bring up a couple issues.

If you have to unass the vehicle in the event of an emergency and you're not wearing anything other than body armor and personal weapon then you're SOL if you have to fight or E & E. If you need to put gear on, time is ticking. Also, if your stuff is in the bustle rack and you're under fire, exposure could be a problem. But, it also depends on what spot on the vehicle you're on. A TC or loader have a little more room, the gunner, slightly less (and more stuff to get through when getting out) and the driver definitely has more issues and would have to tuck it away rather than wear it. But I completely agree, you can't have so much gear on that your escape is impeded.

That's the main reason I got the Hellcat. It gives the ability to reconfigure it as it's determined what will work and what won't. As of right now, I already wear a Camelbak and can dismount easily (tank, 113, or hummer). For primary mounted activity the Hellcat alone with 1 or 2 GP pockets should work. For other activities, add other pockets as needed.....but that's where the T&E comes in........ahh the wonders of modularity.;)

Ghostrider
05-28-2004, 07:21
Done that more than once, if you want to call it sleep. Actually, its more comfortable just sleeping sitting up.

LOL. Yeah, if you want to call it comfortable.;)

I prefer, laying on top of the TCs sponson box, with the CVC helmet on (serves as a pillow and if there's something important on the net you can hear it).

Ghostrider
05-28-2004, 07:31
Of course, tankers have the luxury of spacious living in their turrets, unlike their cramped, sardine-like Bradley bretheren (especially when you're 6'2" and 195lbs).

You know it's sad when the space tankers have is considered luxurious! But in comparison to a Brad or a Eastern Bloc tank, I guess one could consider it spacious.:eek:

Alex F
05-28-2004, 12:11
Do you still get cherry tankers to sleep on the intakes?

:)

Razor
05-28-2004, 15:48
Well that does bring up a couple issues. If you have to unass the vehicle in the event of an emergency and you're not wearing anything other than body armor and personal weapon then you're SOL if you have to fight or E & E.

The likelihood of a former-tanker-now-grunt having to immediately E&E is probably pretty low, as there's at least a wingman, if not entire platoon or company of fellow treadheads nearby to pick up the new hitchhiker(s), if the 1SG hasn't already rolled up in his 113 to check vehicle status or assist in casevac if necessary, wouldn't ya say?

Ghostrider
05-28-2004, 16:06
The likelihood of a former-tanker-now-grunt having to immediately E&E is probably pretty low, as there's at least a wingman, if not entire platoon or company of fellow treadheads nearby to pick up the new hitchhiker(s), if the 1SG hasn't already rolled up in his 113 to check vehicle status or assist in casevac if necessary, wouldn't ya say?

Yes, low....but, it is not uncommon for a vehicle and crew to be on it's own for a little bit if, for example, they break down and/or are immobilized and the fight is still on-going...plus jumping on a tank that's still fighting limits that tanks ability to fight and there is no place to put the displaced crew (and they will still be exposed to enemy fire)......once that crew has to abandon their vehicle, they do need the ability to be self-sufficient.

Depending on where the 1SG is with the M88 and Band-aid and/or dispersion of the Company/Troop it could take some time.

Oh, and once a tanker ALWAYS a tanker....I can't believe you used that "grunt" word....(j/k, I think the world of dismount types....that's why I always let them warm up behind the exhaust).;)