PDA

View Full Version : What a turnaround!

3SoldierDad
12-01-2007, 13:26
The following article appeared in our local paper here in Kansas City. Two pieces of good news

Obviously, Iraq is turning around in dramatic fashion...The article below is VERY encourgaging.
Second, it appears the media is finally saying "Uncle" and allowing the good news to fully get out. Better late than never.

After war's hazy confusion, a refreshing breeze of hope

By Staff Sgt. MARK HAMMERBACHER
Special to The Star

RAMADI, Iraq | “Causality collection point.” “Grazing fire.” “Overwatch.” These are military terms used before every mission when my team first hit the streets of the already war-torn city of Ramadi.

We have had “boots on the ground” since February, and initially we spent our missions hunkered in buildings for days at a time, under fire from the numerous terrorist elements that infested the city.

Now, not even a year later, the frequent terms used are “city council,” “trash cleanup” and “building reconstruction.”

Recently I have walked through the crowded markets, being engaged by hugs and handshakes instead of sniper fire. It has been a dream come true to watch the hundreds of attacks per month taper down to nothing, and simultaneously to have seen the support of coalition forces increase from nothing to hundreds of people who not only support us, but take extreme measures to assist us.

They have taken the same extremes to show us hospitality as well. Within the last several months I have experienced every acute emotion possible: the saddest sad, the happiest happy, even the most boring boredom.

The terrorists that performed a parade in downtown Ramadi are gone, and I attended a parade of the Iraqi Security Forces last month. Since the turnover of power, service member and Iraqis alike have shared the history-making experience.

We have celebrated their good fortune and mourned their losses. We have forged a bond with the Iraqi police and Iraqi army as we exiled insurgents from Ramadi. Service members have shed as many tears for Iraqis as they have for Americans.

This combat deployment has been my third, and I started it with a very jaded attitude of which I am ashamed. I believed that Iraq was a lost cause and that the Iraqi people were ignorant and lazy. Thankfully, I was not completely blinded by my prejudice.

The members of the local populace who have emerged to fight terrorism have dubbed themselves the “Awakening Party.” In many ways, I have awakened with them. By embracing the Iraqi people as friends instead of treating everyone as if they were a terrorist, the Americans have been able to find out who the real enemy is and remove them.

As this metamorphosis happens, you can actually see a ghost town breathe life once again. The change has been phenomenal. It is invigorating to see the haze of confusion that once hung over all of Iraq is now cleared in one place and beginning to clear in other places as well. This refreshing breeze that is slowly beginning to waft brings hope for me that there is a possibility for peace in the future.

This is a success that the American people need to know. This is a story that needs to be told.

Staff Sgt. Mark Hammerbacher is a Kansas City police officer and Army reservist. He lives in Kansas City.

Three Soldier Dad...Chuck

CoLawman
12-01-2007, 14:35
Bravo!

NousDefionsDoc
12-01-2007, 15:07
They were too quick to condemn and now the pendulum swings too far the other way. COIN is a marathon, not a 100 meter dash...

The Reaper
12-01-2007, 15:42
I agree, lets not fall into the "This is easy now" trap again.

Remember, the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia just gave AQ 1,500 replacements this week. A large number of them will no doubt, make their way to Iraq.

TR