PDA

View Full Version : Maj. Anthony Calderone

Team Sergeant
11-25-2007, 23:33
My HERO!:rolleyes:

Fake out: Officer faces jail for phony medals
By Michelle Tan - Staff writer
Posted : Sunday Nov 25, 2007 8:22:53 EST

The awards and badges Maj. Anthony Angelo Calderone wore turned his Class A uniform into a colorful billboard of combat heroism and professional achievement.

The Army Reserve major, who served in Iraq in 2005, wore a Silver Star, the Special Forces and Ranger tabs and other insignia.

The problem is Calderone didn’t earn any of those awards. Moreover, he used the illegitimate awards to nail down his promotion to major.

On Sept. 20, Calderone pleaded guilty in federal court to charges of lying about his awards and qualifications in order to gain a promotion. Sentencing is pending in U.S. District Court in Salt Lake City. He faces a maximum sentence of five years and six months in prison and fines of up to $255,000.

The bogus awards include the Silver Star, the third-highest award for valor; the Special Forces and Ranger tabs; the Senior Parachutist Badge; the Military Freefall Parachutist Badge; the Special Operations Diver Badge; the Pathfinder Badge; the Combat Infantryman Badge; the Humanitarian Service Medal; the Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal; the United Nations Medal; the Army Good Conduct Medal; and the Southwest Asia Service Medal.

continued;

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2007/11/army_medals_faker_071125/

Go For Broke
11-25-2007, 23:46
Wonder if any members of the 100th Bn/442nd RCT alumni association are aware of this. Those tabs he wears are above the SSI of the 442nd. The only combat arms unit in the USAR - and a rather impressive war record from World War II. I seem to recall that one of the members of the House of Representatives is a former member of that unit. :munchin

V/R,

The Reaper
11-26-2007, 07:39
Complete betrayal of trust.

He needs hard time and a BCD.

TR

Rodeo
02-19-2008, 23:14
Man sentenced for falsifying military honors

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=2694760

A Utah soldier who displayed his military achievements on his uniform is headed to federal prison. He didn't actually earn any of those medals. Anthony Calderone was punished in a civilian court because he was not active duty.

Calderone moved to Utah in 1993 and joined the Utah Army National Guard's 19th Special Forces Group. After a break, he joined the Army Reserve. Prosecutors say he wore false decorations of valor and falsified records to cover it up. He then got a promotion and a pay raise.

Calderone buried his head in his attorney's lap and cried when the judge sentenced him to five months in federal prison. Moments before, he tearfully apologized to the people of this country and all the servicemen. "If you put me in jail, it will save my life, but my soul is already destroyed," he said.

Lt. Col. Randy Watt, with the 19th Special Forces, said, "He's now a convicted felon, as he should be. To me though, there's nothing that can recover the lost honor for the U.S. Army."

Lieutenant Watt is the kind of soldier federal prosecutors said Calderone pretended to be. Watt never knew Calderone but testified about his own military experience at the hearing.

Watt was involved in a combat mission against Al-Qaida forces in Afghanistan in 2002. He was nominated for the Silver Star Medal.

Calderone wore the Silver Star -- the third highest award for valor -- and many others.

Lt. Watt said, "For him to falsify not only a silver star, but all the other combat on his badge, the special forces tag, the ranger tag, the combat diver and the halo awards, as well, is absolutely despicable."

The defense attorney described Calderone as a good soldier who defended his country. But prosecutors said he demeaned the service of real American heroes, heroes like Lieutenant Colonel Watt.

"The military community will be grateful that the state of Utah and the U.S. government chose to prosecute him and has sentenced his as appropriately as they have, and has sent a message to others who fake these types of awards," Lt. Watt said.

According to court documents, the process has started to discharge Calderone from the Army. However, he cannot be dishonorably discharged because he did not face a court martial, but rather, was punished in a civilian court.

The Reaper
02-20-2008, 07:53
I appreciate the sentiment, but the ignorance of the author in regards to military rank, titles, awards, and decorations is disappointing and disturbing to me.

You would think that they could have found at least one writer with enough military knowledge to get things right. They do have references for that sort of thing.

That probably explains a lot about the bias of the media.:rolleyes:

I hope Calderone's cellmate likes posers. Don't drop the soap! :D

TR

Scimitar
02-20-2008, 08:29
He only got 5 mths, should have been 5 years

S

Team Sergeant
02-20-2008, 09:01
Major gets 5 months for faking awards

By Matthew Cox - Staff Writer
Posted : Wednesday Feb 20, 2008 9:11:48 EST

A U.S. District Court judge sentenced Army Reserve Maj. Anthony Angelo Calderone on Tuesday to five months in prison for lying about his Army achievements and awards — including his bogus claim a Silver Star for heroism in battle — so he could get promoted faster.

The Salt Lake City, Utah court also ordered Calderone to pay $9,300 in restitution to the Army, wages he earned as the result of his promotion to major, said Assistant U.S. Attorney Robert Lund.

Calderone pleaded guilty in federal court Sept. 20 to charges of lying about his awards and qualifications in order to gain a promotion.

The felony charge of knowingly making false statements carried up to five years in prison and a $250,000 fine. Calderone was also accused of wearing false decorations between Nov. 22, 2003, and Dec. 3, 2006. That charge, a misdemeanor, carried a maximum sentence of six months in prison and a $5,000 fine.

“I’m pleased the outcome,” Lund said. I think the offenses were serious … his conduct of falsely wearing a Silver Star demeans the service and sacrifices of legitimate American heroes who have fought and died for this country.”

Calderone left the sentencing hearing under orders to return by a certain date in the future to serve out his sentence, said Lund, who did not know Calderone’s scheduled return date.

Calderone, who was deployed to Iraq from January 2005 to December 2005, also admitted to knowingly and willfully making false statements about his tours of duty, qualifications and awards. He was charged with falsely including unauthorized decorations and listing tours of duty and military training that he had not completed.

Court documents say Calderone put those false statements, including that he had a Silver Star, the Special Forces and Ranger tabs, and the Combat Infantry Badge, on his DA Form 2-1, the personal qualification record, and on his DD 214, the certificate of release from active duty. Calderone later submitted the falsified DD 214 to his Army Reserve unit, according to court documents. Those false statements on official military documents led to his promotion to major in July 2006, and led to him earning more pay, according to court documents.

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2008/02/Army_fakersentence_080219w/

deanwells
02-21-2008, 09:06
Serves him right. I concur that he should have received more time, but something is better than nothing, I guess. It looks like somebody gets to drop the soap for him hehehe:p

greenberetTFS
05-05-2010, 13:59
Major gets 5 months for faking awards

By Matthew Cox - Staff Writer
Posted : Wednesday Feb 20, 2008 9:11:48 EST

A U.S. District Court judge sentenced Army Reserve Maj. Anthony Angelo Calderone on Tuesday to five months in prison for lying about his Army achievements and awards — including his bogus claim a Silver Star for heroism in battle — so he could get promoted faster.

The Salt Lake City, Utah court also ordered Calderone to pay $9,300 in restitution to the Army, wages he earned as the result of his promotion to major, said Assistant U.S. Attorney Robert Lund.

Calderone pleaded guilty in federal court Sept. 20 to charges of lying about his awards and qualifications in order to gain a promotion.

The felony charge of knowingly making false statements carried up to five years in prison and a $250,000 fine. Calderone was also accused of wearing false decorations between Nov. 22, 2003, and Dec. 3, 2006. That charge, a misdemeanor, carried a maximum sentence of six months in prison and a $5,000 fine.

“I’m pleased the outcome,” Lund said. I think the offenses were serious … his conduct of falsely wearing a Silver Star demeans the service and sacrifices of legitimate American heroes who have fought and died for this country.”

Calderone left the sentencing hearing under orders to return by a certain date in the future to serve out his sentence, said Lund, who did not know Calderone’s scheduled return date.

Calderone, who was deployed to Iraq from January 2005 to December 2005, also admitted to knowingly and willfully making false statements about his tours of duty, qualifications and awards. He was charged with falsely including unauthorized decorations and listing tours of duty and military training that he had not completed.

Court documents say Calderone put those false statements, including that he had a Silver Star, the Special Forces and Ranger tabs, and the Combat Infantry Badge, on his DA Form 2-1, the personal qualification record, and on his DD 214, the certificate of release from active duty. Calderone later submitted the falsified DD 214 to his Army Reserve unit, according to court documents. Those false statements on official military documents led to his promotion to major in July 2006, and led to him earning more pay, according to court documents.

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2008/02/Army_fakersentence_080219w/

I don't know TS, nothing I've read so far mentions the "Stolen Valor" act!!!! :mad:

Big Teddy :munchin

Basenshukai
05-06-2010, 07:28
This kind of behavior is usually indicative of a pattern. In order to cross this particular line of betrayal and breach of trust, this former officer must have divorced himself from the Army Values and the Warrior Ethos a long time ago. As such, I bet that a look deep into his service might reveal other infractions. I'd check if this guy ever handled OPFUND, or contracts, etc.

SF18C
05-06-2010, 09:52
Calderone buried his head in his attorney's lap and cried

I wonder who's lap his head will be in for the next 5 months? I bet that will make him cry more!

craigepo
05-06-2010, 10:00
Serves him right. I concur that he should have received more time, but something is better than nothing, I guess. It looks like somebody gets to drop the soap for him hehehe:p

A good friend of mine once said that he was "too pretty to go to jail".

The penitentiary is a bad, bad, place. Five months' time just scares the living hell out of me.

Blackdog
05-12-2010, 12:38
SF Tab, Ranger tab, silver star...blah, blah, blah...What really chaps my ass is that bogus scuba bubble! He should be sentenced to a life at the Copa on Duval Street for faking that! Douchebag!

Bechorg
07-02-2010, 05:54
The volunteer ribbon really chaps my ass.

greenberetTFS
07-03-2010, 11:46
I wonder who's lap his head will be in for the next 5 months? I bet that will make him cry more!

SFC18C,

LMAO,your absolutely right!.....................:boohoo:boohoo:boohoo

Big Teddy :munchin

Backwoods
07-07-2010, 09:22
and people ask why I believe in natural selection......:rolleyes:

hdgb
08-09-2010, 09:13
Guys a better punishment is to make this guy go thru SCUBA school in key west complete with a pre-scuba and not be allowed to quit . Then on to ranger school . Selection and maybe even a little robin sage action.
He wants to wear em then let him earn em. I know he doesn't even deserve the oportunity but i sure would like to be on the side of the pool for that. Maybe we could bring back cross overs and twin 80s bobbing just for him.
Just an absent minded thought!

alright4u
08-09-2010, 19:01
My HERO!:rolleyes:

Fake out: Officer faces jail for phony medals
By Michelle Tan - Staff writer
Posted : Sunday Nov 25, 2007 8:22:53 EST

The awards and badges Maj. Anthony Angelo Calderone wore turned his Class A uniform into a colorful billboard of combat heroism and professional achievement.

The Army Reserve major, who served in Iraq in 2005, wore a Silver Star, the Special Forces and Ranger tabs and other insignia.

The problem is Calderone didn’t earn any of those awards. Moreover, he used the illegitimate awards to nail down his promotion to major.

On Sept. 20, Calderone pleaded guilty in federal court to charges of lying about his awards and qualifications in order to gain a promotion. Sentencing is pending in U.S. District Court in Salt Lake City. He faces a maximum sentence of five years and six months in prison and fines of up to $255,000.

The bogus awards include the Silver Star, the third-highest award for valor; the Special Forces and Ranger tabs; the Senior Parachutist Badge; the Military Freefall Parachutist Badge; the Special Operations Diver Badge; the Pathfinder Badge; the Combat Infantryman Badge; the Humanitarian Service Medal; the Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal; the United Nations Medal; the Army Good Conduct Medal; and the Southwest Asia Service Medal.

continued;

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2007/11/army_medals_faker_071125/

Since when did the Army promote officers based on an award?

wet dog
06-18-2011, 11:26
This kind of behavior is usually indicative of a pattern. In order to cross this particular line of betrayal and breach of trust, this former officer must have divorced himself from the Army Values and the Warrior Ethos a long time ago. As such, I bet that a look deep into his service might reveal other infractions. I'd check if this guy ever handled OPFUND, or contracts, etc.

TS, you're absolutely correct.

I knew Tony Calderone, (as a 2LT and 1LT), he was forever in the training DET, awaiting orders for SFQC, it was me who's signature was required to attend. Gald I got this one right, but I could not prevent him from making 02.

Tony was neither trustworthy, of any value nor ever obtained a warrior spirit.

Now with Hillar going to trial, looking back, Tony only served 5 months, and has successfully created a new life living abroad.

Hillar is a fraud, earning monies from US Federal agencies, our tax dollars.

Team Sergeant
06-18-2011, 11:28
TS, you're absolutely correct.

I knew Tony Calderone, (as a 2LT and 1LT), he was forever in the training DET, awaiting orders for SFQC, it was me who's signature was required to attend. Gald I got this one right, but I could not prevent him from making 02.

Tony was neither trustworthy, of any value nor ever obtained a warrior spirit.

Now with Hillar going to trial, looking back, Tony only served 5 months, and has successfully created a new life living abroad.

Hillar is a fraud, earning monies from US Federal agencies, our tax dollars.

[[[Hey brother, hillar already pled "guilty"...... he's going to be sentenced. FYI]]]]

wet dog
06-18-2011, 11:43
[[[Hey brother, hillar already pled "guilty"...... he's going to be sentenced. FYI]]]]

That's what I meant, my bad.

I hope the sentance is equal to the fraud committed, monetarily to monies earned in deceit, etc.

mark46th
06-22-2011, 08:24
The senior Senator from Hawaii, Senator Daniel Inouye, MOH, was in the 442nd...

JJ_BPK
06-22-2011, 13:58
Calderone buried his head in his attorney's lap and cried when the judge sentenced him to five months in federal prison. Moments before, he tearfully apologized to the people of this country and all the servicemen. "If you put me in jail, it will save my life, but my soul is already destroyed," he said.

I smell a PTSD VA filing..
BUT the BCD should stop it??

Dutch
06-20-2012, 16:52
Sadly enough, there are those in our own ilk who have adorned their uniforms with unearned emblems, or embelished about their service history...

DOL - Dutch