PDA

View Full Version : Deployment Personal Gear

The Reaper
11-25-2007, 19:07
What non-issue gear are you guys taking on deployment to make your life better?

What are you laying out your money for to take with you?

Looking for both tac gear and creature comfort lists.

I am sure that IPODs, laptops, radios, etc. are popular, as are flashlights, knives, tools, and so forth.

What are the items that you consider to be indispensable or "must have"?

Looking forward to seeing your lists. You may help somebody take something important that they missed, or they may help you.

Thoughts?

TR

LongWire
11-25-2007, 19:20
Lately for me its been a lot of North Face warmies!!!!!! I've been loving the cold weather so that I can put on my Hot Gear, kinda stupid I guess, but its one of those inevitabilities that comes around every year.

RichL025
11-25-2007, 19:20
Hammock.

As long as I'm going somewhere warm-ish, that is....

18C4V
11-25-2007, 21:59
Must have:

X-box with lots of games
Small pillow with bed sheets (every place I've been to had mattresses) except Kuwait
Laptop
Webcam
Digital Camera
IPOD
External hard drive with movies (250gig)
Multiple outlets (UK, Italian, European)
Step down converter at least 300 watts.
Civilian clothes
Cell phone (buy one in country)
Pelican or Otter cases for Laptop, IPOD, Webcam, External hard drive, etc.
Cash or Eagle card to use at the PX, etc.
Multiple sunglasses (in case they break)
Battery Razor

jwt5
11-25-2007, 22:20
If you're going to be spending time rolling around in trucks, I'd recommend a power converter that can be hooked up to your truck battery.

We used them to charge our radios, razors, and other electronic goods.

Pete S
11-25-2007, 23:00
Self inflating miniature air mattress that is the size of an Isomat.
Water resistant digital camera. I've had problems with sand getting in to the regular type and breaking it.
LED headlamp that has both red and white light settings.

CosaNostraUSMC
11-25-2007, 23:17
1.) Baby wipes... a lot of 'em.
2.) North Face Denali.

Other than that, every mom under the sun, sent all sorts of HSLD trash to the FOB. 50% was redundancy, the other 50% was unusable for one reason or another.

The Reaper
11-26-2007, 20:19
Graet answers so far guys, thanks!

Please keep them coming.

TR

monsterhunter
11-26-2007, 20:43
Boric Acid powder dissolved in rubbing alcohol and placed in a medium/small squirt top plastic container. Squeeze a little bit into the palm of the hand and then rub it on the feet. Thwarts any potential athlete’s foot and kills the bugs causing foot odor. Good stuff when you are limited on water for bathing.

RTK
11-26-2007, 21:03
Must have:

X-box with lots of games
Small pillow with bed sheets (every place I've been to had mattresses) except Kuwait
Laptop
Webcam
Digital Camera
IPOD
External hard drive with movies (250gig)
Multiple outlets (UK, Italian, European)
Step down converter at least 300 watts.
Civilian clothes
Cell phone (buy one in country)
Pelican or Otter cases for Laptop, IPOD, Webcam, External hard drive, etc.
Cash or Eagle card to use at the PX, etc.
Multiple sunglasses (in case they break)
Battery Razor

Great list. Coupled with Pete's air matress, that's about all I can think I took (or wish I had). I'd add a few footballs or soccer balls with a pump and needle.

Also, can't be an American Soldier and go abroad without a baseball mitt. Who knows, maybe Iraq is the next bastion of middle infielders. :D

Edit: I had an Ipaq HP 1940 Pocket PC palm pilot that I could throw maps on and use as the C or E of my PACE plan. Plus it has a record capability, note taking capability, and Microsoft Office capable.

Pete S
11-26-2007, 23:20
Something I forgot was the rechargeable AA batteries and charger. I had 2 sets of batteries. So one set would be in use while I was out, and one set constantly charging. When I got back I would switch the sets. I also still made sure I had plenty of the non-rechageable type in my pack in case of emergencies.

x-factor
11-27-2007, 02:28
I'm surprised no one has listed thumb drives yet. Those things are absolutely vital for moving files around (especially big ones with graphics and the like). I recommend three if possible: one for unclassified/personal use, one for SIPR, and one for TS/SCI. Also, its probably stating the obvious, but I find it best to keep them on a lanyard around the neck so that you don't lose them.

jatx
11-27-2007, 11:27
I'm surprised no one has listed thumb drives yet. Those things are absolutely vital for moving files around (especially big ones with graphics and the like). I recommend three if possible: one for unclassified/personal use, one for SIPR, and one for TS/SCI. Also, its probably stating the obvious, but I find it best to keep them on a lanyard around the neck so that you don't lose them.

Per the advice on another thread, I recently acquired a 4 Gig Ironkey - and it's great! The Firefox browser and password feature are especially nice for use on shared computers. I scanned all of my personal docs and store them on the Ironkey, and have a smaller, less expensive file for swapping files with others.

Roguish Lawyer
11-27-2007, 11:32
Also, its probably stating the obvious, but I find it best to keep them on a lanyard around the neck so that you don't lose them.

You don't just put them in your pocket protector? ;)

Kyobanim
11-27-2007, 12:28
My question is what do you pack the electronics in? Link the game boxes? When you deploy how much are you allowed to take?

jwt5
11-27-2007, 16:07

I ended up buying a 2GIG thumb drive around the middle of my last deployment just for the purpose of being able to download pictures and files sent to me when I wasn't using a personal computer. As far as the TS/SCI stuff, we were issued one by our company that would get locked up if we weren't using them. I'm not sure on the rules, but if I remember correctly we weren't allowed to plug anything personal into any computer that contained anything Secret or higher.

My question is what do you pack the electronics in? Link the game boxes? When you deploy how much are you allowed to take?

My last deployment we were allowed two "tough boxes" of stuff to be loaded into a cargo container that would ride the ship. Most people just placed extra hygene stuff, books, or anything else that wouldn't get damaged by the temp changes.

The electronics like laptops, cameras, MP3 players were carried on board the plane. The bigger stuff like xbox or whatever were either shipped by family/friends through the mail when we were in country, or bought online through Amazon.com or through a PX (if you were lucky enough to be close to one or have a mission where you'd be on a camp with one). Sometimes you could get lucky and buy one off a soldier who was leaving.

dmgedgoods
11-27-2007, 18:09
Great information. I recently acquired a PSP from my wife as a going away present. The thing is awesome. Wifi, music, photos, movies. All I need is a few more memory sticks and all is good.

One question: I heard from a Marine who recently returned and works with my company that many of his fellow Marines carried machetes or kukris. Does that really fly on deployment? Are they that useful? I plan on bringing a few of my favorites, and wouldn't mind packing the kukri, but will I really need/use it?

Again, great input...I keep making my list longer. :D

Shawn

CosaNostraUSMC
11-27-2007, 18:44
One question: I heard from a Marine who recently returned and works with my company that many of his fellow Marines carried machetes or kukris. Does that really fly on deployment? Are they that useful? I plan on bringing a few of my favorites, and wouldn't mind packing the kukri, but will I really need/use it?

Again, great input...I keep making my list longer. :D

Shawn
Machetes and kukris = news to me.

I never saw anything that would mandate, "carrying" either of those items, when I was there. Neither of those items would be beneficial to me with regards to COIN ops; mounted/dismounted patrols, raids, combat outspots, checkpoints, or at the FOB.

Some other guys, who wanted to "get some" but weren't in an MOS to do so, might have had those sorts of things; RAMBO-esque, taking pics next to their racks for mom and dad and all, while seldom venturing outside the wire.

Some things flew on deployment, some things didn't. What flies for a Marine may not fly for you... vice versa.

I see no use for them, with regards to my operations, or overall relevance, honestly. I guess it depends on where you might be in counttry, exactly. I know in the Haditha "Triad", those items would be dead weight and worthless. Besides, I don't even know how to use a Kukris... do you? What the heck are you gonna need to cut and clear?!?

Leave the kukri at home. Save that space for something you may "pick up" over there.

My .02

P.S. Dublin...? Camp Parks?

Team Sergeant
11-27-2007, 18:51
Machetes and kukris = news to me.

I never saw anything that would mandate, "carrying" either of those items, when I was there. Neither of those items would be beneficial to me with regards to COIN ops; mounted/dismounted patrols, raids, combat outspots, checkpoints, or at the FOB.

Your bio states "Marines".... so were you a cook or truck driver?
As small as the Marines are it's still a fairly large unit.

Yeah, it makes a difference as to your point of view.

I carried a machete just about everywhere after jungle school...

Team Sergeant

x-factor
11-27-2007, 19:09
RL - Only on this board of uber-guys could I be considered "the geeky one." :D

As far as the TS/SCI stuff, we were issued one by our company that would get locked up if we weren't using them. I'm not sure on the rules, but if I remember correctly we weren't allowed to plug anything personal into any computer that contained anything Secret or higher.

Hence my recommendation on one for personal and one for work use. I should probably issue the disclaimer to consult your computer security folks about the proper procedures.

jwt5
11-27-2007, 19:56

Shawn

I kept a decent size folding knife in my pocket at all times, I also carried a Gerber multi tool (issued item) on my belt, and a small Leatherman on my vest. I also carried a straight blade on my vest slightly hidden incase I ever needed it in a hurry and can't reach my folder.

As far as the big blades I did see some walking around with them, only a few of the people were combat arms folks.

I think you should evaluate your mission and pack accordingly, but make sure to check with your chain of command first. For example, the CSM for one unit I worked with my last time over there came down with a policy forbiding anyone from having anything with a "namebrand" displayed on their vest.

CosaNostraUSMC
11-27-2007, 22:51
Your bio states "Marines".... so were you a cook or truck driver?
As small as the Marines are it's still a fairly large unit.

Yeah, it makes a difference as to your point of view.

I carried a machete just about everywhere after jungle school...

Team Sergeant
Neither. I was a DM with L/3/7.

About the biggest tool I carried in our AO, outside of my primary wpn, was a key to doors... i.e.; bolt cutters, sledgehamer, benelli, or an AT-4.:D

+1 on the Leatherman tool.

I would have liked to have had, one of those Reeve/Harsey "Pacific" pieces, while I was there.

Pete S
11-28-2007, 01:17

I saw Marines over there who carried "tactical" swords attached to their packs. :rolleyes: You would also see the occational person with a hatchet on their belt in the chow hall.
For the AO a machete isn't really needed. A sharp E-Tool is about the most you will need.

+2 on the multi tool, the uses are endless. I used mine as a ruptured cartridge extractor, scraper tool, front sight adjustment and general disassembly tool.

jwt5
11-28-2007, 04:18
I'm glad to see others think highly of the multi-tool. I honestly think it's the one piece of personal gear I used the most while in the Army and overseas. I prefered the Leatherman over the Gerber due to the needle nose on the pliers and the size of the other tools in the set. The Gerber I was issued felt like a cheap knockoff, but I carried because it's better to have two in my opinion.

I used my leatherman from everything from quick truck maintence, to cutting 550 cord, to taking apart my M2 (which is where the Leatherman outshined the Gerber).

Another item I just thought of is more for anyone that's going to be in a gunner position or at least a position exposed to the elements. That's good face protection. The issued Neck Gaiter was great, but would eventually stretch out. I'd recommend either buying extras or investing in some quality gear available in stores. I had a bunch of different kinds from a full face mask that looked like Hannibal Lecter, to oversized neck gaiters. Definately something good to have if you're standing in a gun turret of a M1114 hauling butt down the road at 50mph.

18C4V
11-28-2007, 19:17

I haven't mentioned thumbdrives, type of sunglasses, eyepro, mulit purpose knives, flashlights, watches etc since I'm fortunate to be in a unit where opfund, team fund or DSOR funds are used to purchase those items.

I have pelican boxes, or otter box for my electronics. I use an otter box for my IPOD since I can acuatlly use it inside the otter box.

The X-box and Playstation are team gear and stays in the team room. We pack a MWR box which has games, dvds, and the game systems.

As for deployment stuff, I have 4 conticos, one SFAUCC kit bag, and one carry on luggage. It pays to be the Charlie doing the load out:D Seriously, every man on my team is authorized all that stuff since it takes at least 2 conticos for the gear that we're issued.

The Reaper
11-28-2007, 19:27
I haven't mentioned thumbdrives, type of sunglasses, eyepro, mulit purpose knives, flashlights, watches etc since I'm fortunate to be in a unit where opfund, team fund or DSOR funds are used to purchase those items.

Well feel free to elaborate in more detail if you have the time and inclination.

Thanks everyone for your input. I hope that this thread may be of use to members getting ready to deploy. Never hurts to run the checklist one last time, and see if you have forgotten anything.

TR

jwt5
11-29-2007, 01:05
After reading a few of the QPs posts here, I realize there is a big difference between what us "Big Army" folks bring and use and what Quiet Professionals bring and use. (No surprise)

Here's what I would recommend you bring with youfrom a "Big Army" soldier perspective:

1) Laptop
2) digital camera
3) mp3 player
4) thumbdrive
5) good pair of sunglasses
6) at least one Flashlight
7) at least one multi tool
8) gloves
9) external hard drive with movies

The other stuff like TVs, Xboxes, and the like can be either bought in country or shipped to you once you get settled in. Packages from places like Amazon.com take about 2 weeks to arrive and most of the PXs in country are well stocked, if they don't have what you want/need they can special order it and it'll take about the same time.

If you can ship stuff in your unit cargo containers, don't place anything mission specific or anything you'll need right away because you won't see the containers for somewhere between a month to 4 months after you get to your FOB.

Also, when you first get in country you'll be moving around a lot and busy signing for equipment and what not, so I would say the less stuff you have. the better.

If you'd like specific name brands TR, I can rummage through my stuff and edit this post to reflect your request.

Razor
11-29-2007, 11:37
How are you guys securing your more valuable stuff to keep it from "walking off" when you're not around?

Are there any opinions on comfort/effectiveness/durability of the non-Oakley ballistic sunglasses you find in the PX (Revision Sawflys, ESS Flybys/Recons, the Wiley-X line)?

Are you encrypting your unclass flash drives? What software are you using for this? How are they holding up with the heat, sand and shock?

Cold Steel
11-29-2007, 11:45
I picked up a 10 cup Thermos on leave halfway through deployment and it was one of the best comforts I had in-country. Great for coffee and chai on guard duty, a nice pick me up treat while on missions, and was able to make a local guard very happy by presenting it to him when my time was up.

jwt5
11-29-2007, 17:22
How are you guys securing your more valuable stuff to keep it from "walking off" when you're not around?

We had one of those really big black boxes and if we were leaving the FOB for an extended period we would lock all our valubles up in said box (each team had one) and we would lock it in the arms room. If we were only leaving the FOB for a few hours or so, we would just keep our stuff locked up in the wall lockers we had available in our "barracks".

Are there any opinions on comfort/effectiveness/durability of the non-Oakley ballistic sunglasses you find in the PX (Revision Sawflys, ESS Flybys/Recons, the Wiley-X line)?

I honestly only tried the Oakleys, ESS and Wiley-X and I liked the ESS the best. I found I could wear them while in the turret and wouldn't have to worry about wind or sand getting in my eyes.

But nothing beats those issue sunglasses they used to give out before the Wiley-X swimming goggles. :D

Are you encrypting your unclass flash drives? What software are you using for this? How are they holding up with the heat, sand and shock?

My personal thumbdrive was never encrypted mostly because all I had on there were photos and emails I had typed up on my laptop to send out at the internet cafe. As far as holding up, I had this one thumbdrive for about 8 months while in country and I still have it. Unfortuntately the name has been scratched off so I can't pass on the brand...

Pete S
11-30-2007, 00:34

I have used the Oakley M-frames, ESS M-frames, and Wiley-X's swimming goggles.

The Wiley-X's are uncomfortable but sturdy.
The ESS's are cheaply made, the nose piece breaks easily. But it is cheap to replace the lens, etc
The Oakleys are well made, but the nose piece falls of easily and replacing the parts can be somewhat pricey. I also didn't feel like the Oakleys were that secure to my face when I wore them.

C0B2A
01-06-2008, 00:28
I list things in order of how many times i said to myself "thank God I brought this"

1. head-lamp
2. Laptop (Trend Micro Internet Security Pro installed)
3. Ipod ( I recommend the Nano because instead of the larger versions spinning hard drive that can not withstand drops and such, the Nano uses flash memory and can take one hell of a beating and keep the tunes coming
4. multi-tool ( I use the Gerber EOD tool)
5. Northface fleece
6. Mountain Hardware wind stopper fleece gloves (during winter months I can think of no better glove to ware gunning a Humvee)
7. A good pair of small headphones, I used the Bose in ear for the full year, great sounds and pretty durable, the only problem with them was the ear bud covers constantly fall off, so i final put a bit of super glue on the inside and they stayed on.

Jimbo
01-06-2008, 07:22

Rudy Project Rydon Tactical glasses (http://www.rudyprojectusa.com/products/sunglasses/tactical.htm). They are light and very comfortable. The polarized photo-chromatic lenses got light enough to wear at night, but also got dark enough to be worn during the day. The frame is small enough that it will not terribly disrupt the seal of your Sordins or Peltors, a quality I found admirable during long helo flights. The lenses did not show any scratches during my first deployment, despite usually just being hung off the outside of my chest rig when not in use. When they finally got pretty scratched up halfway through my second deployment, I took advantage of their warranty and got new lenses shipped straight to my APO. The downside is they are expensive and ugly as hell.

Other gear:
Patagonia R4 fleece with Gore Windstopper and Patagonia wool baselayers.

Intel_Airman
01-08-2008, 04:32
Here's the items that I have right now that make Iraq a little better.

1) XGO shirts and boxers - I'm a fan of Underarmour; but if I ever end up in a burning vehicle I don't want it to be melted to my skin. The XGO line is comfortable and fire retardent.

2) Silver infused socks - Last deployment; towards the end my feet were sweating bad and I was in my boots for 18 hours a day. I ended up with some nasty athletes foot. This time around I've used socks infused with silver that are antimicrobial. So far, my feet are perfect; even when I end up in them for extended periods of time.

3) Oakley SI Half Jackets w/interchangeable lenses - The most comfortable ballistic glasses I have. I also have some ESS CDI's, but they tend to slide off my head. With both I keep the clear lenses on me, because it only took one daytime op that turned to night for me to realize i needed them. The rose lenses are great for overcast.

4) Protein shakers - I don't understand why the PX never has them; they sell protein and no shakers! Mixing powder in cut off water bottles or MRE liquid bags is a pain in the ass.

5) Lifting straps - You can't find these in theatre either.

5) Skull-Candy earbuds- Great quality earbuds for $30 bucks. You can't even hear the noise on a C-17 with them in and your IPOD on half volume.

6) 4 Gig Thumb Drive- Hey, those morale drives on the bigger bases have a lot of good movies; why not transfer them to your external hard drive?

7) External Hard Drive - Like I said, there is a lot of movies and music floating around in theatre, add it to your collection. The size is up to you. I have a 325Gig Western Digital book size drive. I'm not even close to filling it up.

8) Small Pelican cases - I keep my Samsung NV11 in one (if you're looking for a really nice small digitcal camera, check it out). They are also great for those thumb drives, ipods, cell phones, or other expensive electronic items that need to be kept away from the elements.

10) Gerber Multi Tool

These items have made life a lot better for me over here. Has anyone used a solar powered charger for their electronic items? I saw them on a website for a couple hundred bucks, that would be handy from time to time.

Monsoon65
01-11-2008, 21:43
1. P-cord. Always comes in handy.
2. Ponchos. Never worn them, but with the p-cord, can be used to set up dividers in the tents.
3. Gerber/Leatherman.
4. Extension cords!! Seems that a 10 foot one will do the job.
5. Duct tape
6. Zip lock bags. Maybe two each of the large and small sizes.

NoRoadtrippin
02-06-2008, 09:35
Edit: I had an Ipaq HP 1940 Pocket PC palm pilot that I could throw maps on and use as the C or E of my PACE plan. Plus it has a record capability, note taking capability, and Microsoft Office capable.

This I really like. I can see how it would be useful for a whole handful of things in a really small take along package.

Aoresteen
02-07-2008, 14:06
I'm halfway through a 12 month tour. Here's what I brought that hasn't been mentioned.

Gerber multicolored lens flashlight. When you are in a tent with 10 other guys using blue light keeps everyone happy at 3:00 AM.

The Gortex bivvy sack (issue) shell. I use it with my poncho liner & lightwight down Northface bag. In the summer I just used the poncho liner & bivvy sack.

MOLLE waist pack (issue). Straps to the top of my Kifaru XTL. Keeps my rain gear/cold weather parka handy.

Ipod shuffel 1 gig. I keep it in a pouch on my IBA.

iPAQ 2215 Pocket PC. This is my main support device. I have a 16 GB CF card and a 4 GN SD card in it. Docs go on the SD card, MP3 & movies go on the CF card. I have 3 batteries for the iPAQ, ac charger, and an USB charger.

US style 3 plug adapter. It seems that all the outlets are used everywhere you go; this lets you share an outlet with a buddy and get recharged without having to wait.

Small AM/FM radio that uses ear buds.

Sink plug 1.5", Every sink in Iraq is missing the plug. Having your own lets you fill up the sink with water to shave or sponge bath. Linnens & Things sells a nice one for $2.99.

Coming back from R&R I brought back a Nintendo DS and Game Boy Advance SP with a bunch of classic games. Should have brought it with from the get go. Note: Nintendo AC adapters are 110v only, get a universal 110-240v generic charger off of eBay.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX07 digital camera. Uses SDHC cards and I got an 8 gig card for it. Never run out of space!

Thumb drives are fine for unclass NIPR stuff but you can only use gov't drives that are issued to you for SIPR stuff. That's the rule within MNSTC-I. MNF-I, MNC-I and CJSOTF might have different rules but from what I have seen, no personal thumb drives for SIPR.

Aoresteen
02-08-2008, 01:50
Also,

I brought four Outdoor Research Hydrolite Dry Sacks™ stuff bags. Highly recommended.

To keeps bugs away I brought Outdoor Research Bug Bivy™. Good stuff!

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/bug_bivy.html

PepperDog
02-27-2008, 18:48
Good stuff all around. I know it hasn't been all that long since the last post in this thread and I was hoping for a little renewed interest. I'm leaving for Afghanistan in the near future for a year tour on one of the civilian contracts (try not to hold it against me).

I would have never thought about alot of the creature comforts mentioned and now I have a shopping list as long as my arm. It's been about 10 years since I deployed anywhere and I (almost) feel that I'm wholly unprepared for the trip as far as the little things are concerened.

I'm just prodding to see if anyone has any other ideas or just advice in general. I'm an open book and I've been poking around the site for awhile picking up great info. Hope I'm not bein' a pain or otherwise over stepping my bounds. :)

Cold Steel
02-28-2008, 10:41
PepperDog,

If you are heading to Afghanistan I suggest that you pick up a Gator Neck to cover your nose and mouth if you plan to be on the road. You will be hitting dust season soon (for the next 10 months) and it gets pretty bad.

PepperDog
02-28-2008, 11:44
Good tip, I appreciate it. Sounds like I'll be on the road quite a bit...

Aoresteen
02-28-2008, 13:48
PepperDog,

It gets really cold in A-Stan in the winter and they get lots of snow. A bit different than Iraq. Our 06 was stranded for week in A-Stan due to snow at the end of Jan this year. Bring long underwear; we got issued two sets of thin long johns; very usefull. Think Wisconsin winters!

Good luck on your tour!

PepperDog
02-28-2008, 14:08
Man, you guys are awesome. Thanks, I'll keep updating the list. My first paycheck'll be gone before I get feet on the ground! :)

Aoresteen
03-05-2008, 16:45
PepperDog,

I assume you will be going through Ft. Benning CRC.

As a contractor you will be allowed two duffebags and a carry-on. That's it.

Also, you HAVE to be in the Contractor Verification System. If not they will not let you deploy. My CRC roommate was turned back becaues his company had failed to get him into CVS.

https://www.infantry.army.mil/CRC/

The bedding here sucks. You will need an extra set of sheets and a good pillow. My wife just sent me a matrass pad. I should have gotten one sooner. Some of the matrasses I've seen here look like they were bought second-hand from a Bangkok whore house. The pillows are like burlap bags of gravel. It's hit or miss at the PX, mostly misses. Shop at Target/Wal-Mart and get what you like and ship them to yourself.

Since you are limited to two duffel bags, I'd pack a couple of boxes of stuff you want to bring but can live without for a couple of weeks and mail it to your APO address. If you don't know exactly where you will be living, have your family mail them to you when you get in country.

Will you have a weapon?

18C4V
03-05-2008, 17:03
Afghanistan gets freezing cold in the winter so prepare for that. I'd bring some really good boots with removable snow spikes if case you have to walk around. I remember dismounting and falling on my ass while trying to pull security due to all the black ice.

It's' also very muddy when it rains, dusty when it's dry and hot in the summer.

PepperDog
03-05-2008, 19:35
Aoresteen,

This particular company is issuing us a Beretta 92 F'd up and an M-4 for "personal defense".

I haven't heard of the CVS and I'm calling my recruiter first thing in the morning about it. The folks going to Iraq are doing CRC at Benning but we're doing something else in Virginia and truth be told we haven't gotten a lot of detail about what it is beyond some form of basic schooling.

I've already got a load of junk that the family's shipping off once I get settled but the bedding's a great idea.

Knowing how much I can bring helps me plan a little more because the organization factor, while not horrible, could be better with this company.

Snow spikes is something I had only given a fleeting thought to, any particular brands/types favored over another?

18C4V
03-07-2008, 13:36
Aoresteen,

Snow spikes is something I had only given a fleeting thought to, any particular brands/types favored over another?

Just something that will last and is easy to take off.

PepperDog
03-07-2008, 16:12
Just something that will last and is easy to take off.

Cool, I'll do a little research and pick up somethin'.

I truly appreciate all the advice and pointers from you folks. Honestly, I feel a little more prepared already.

A heart felt thanks fellas...

The Reaper
03-07-2008, 20:12
Cool, I'll do a little research and pick up somethin'.

I truly appreciate all the advice and pointers from you folks. Honestly, I feel a little more prepared already.

A heart felt thanks fellas...

Frankly, I really doubt that anyone is going to send you anywhere you will need crampons.

TR

Cold Steel
03-08-2008, 14:10
I had the same thoughts in regards to spikes. A good pair of boots with tread should do the job fine. If you are assigned an M-9 you may want to look into a thigh holster, a cord (lanyard) that attachs your pistol to your body, a nice sling for your rifle (I like the Momba), cap covers for the muzzle of your rifle, and some quality magazines for your pistol. Issued or knock offs M-9 pistol mags have a high tendancy to jam your weapon. Not really a lesson you want to learn on a two way range!

jwt5
03-08-2008, 14:18
I had the same thoughts in regards to spikes. A good pair of boots with tread should do the job fine. If you are assigned an M-9 you may want to look into a thigh holster, a cord (lanyard) that attachs your pistol to your body, a nice sling for your rifle (I like the Momba), cap covers for the muzzle of your rifle, and some quality magazines for your pistol. Issued or knock offs M-9 pistol mags have a high tendancy to jam your weapon. Not really a lesson you want to learn on a two way range!

I would only recommend the muzzle cap if you plan on living on a FOB like Camp Liberty in Iraq and never plan to go outside of the wire. Just my .02.

PepperDog
03-08-2008, 15:53
More good stuff. Got a thigh rig (I've worn an Uncle Mikes triple retention for years) and I've got a nice one point sling already that I'm really comfortable with but my agency took my lanyard when I resigned, bastards. Not my uniforms or my spare pistol and rifle mags, my lanyard. :rolleyes:

I did pick up some of those cheap, shoot off, muzzle caps but I dont know much about the M9. I'm a glock and 1911 guy. I've spent quite a bit of time shooting one lately, not sure which mags perform better than others but I'm doing my homework. I've got some useful down time this coming month. Just runnin', shootin' shoppin' and spendin' time with the family...

18C4V
03-08-2008, 19:01

Actually you'll need them if you do a lot of convoys on roads in the mountains during the winter. Otherwise you'll end up falling on your ass due to the black ice. You can't afford to slip and fall while in contact. The key word is mountains. If he's not going to drive in high altitude than he probably wont need them.

Besides what do I know. I only spent 8 months there in 02/03.

Razor
03-08-2008, 19:36
To the guys that have the experience, would something like Yak Trax be a better alternative for PepperDog than actual crampons?

The Reaper
03-08-2008, 20:18
A little mission analysis might be in order.

For all I have read, he might be running security at the DFAC.

pepperdog, how much time you really going to be spending humping in the mountains?

TR

PepperDog
03-08-2008, 22:27
A little mission analysis might be in order.

For all I have read, he might be running security at the DFAC.

pepperdog, how much time you really going to be spending humping in the mountains?

TR

TR, good question. I'll be advising and mentoring the local police. So to be honest, I don't really know. I'll either be in the school house or on the road. They can't get anymore mission specific with me until the folks in country find out what I'm qualified to do.

Some folks find themselves on the road, some at the range, some at the airport, some at an outpost somewhere. Nothing terribly exiciting but it beats hell outta writing speeding tickets...

ccrn
04-07-2008, 08:14
I think a muzzle cap is a good idea whether outside the wire or not. I spent almost everyday "outside the wire" and we used them on our M4s and SAWs. I can tell you from expience that if doodoo hits the fan theyll blow right off so not to worry. On the240s, M2s and Mk19s we had the tailors make us muzzle caps of cloth and elastic.

It might be expensive to buy new magazines for your M9 but an alternative we used was Wolf springs. They can be purchased fairly cheap online.

A product I thought look promising is Microspikes. They slip on and off like Yaktrax only thy have actual spikes rather than just springs that I found to not have the best traction (but wont dull or catch when walking on metal or hardball).

Consider a pillow cover as bedbugs can be a problem on some of the RON areas or FOBS. When we were on the road a lot of us carried our own pillow in a ruck as well as a woobie or twin bed fitted sheet.

A good pair of winter boots is a must (gortex lined)-

PepperDog
04-07-2008, 18:16
CCRN,

Thanx for the advice, Been talking to some prior mission folks and they agree with the micro spikes. I already picked up some mags and all the other good stuff. Gettin' ready to ship shortly and my bags are already over-packed...:)

sf11b_p
04-08-2008, 01:18
On the240s, M2s and Mk19s we had the tailors make us muzzle caps of cloth and elastic.

Heh, sounds like a paintball barrel cover.

linedoc
04-08-2008, 04:40
I've used the microspikes out in Grafenwhor during a Feb. gunnery. I was curious how they worked so I picked up a pair. They worked well but I only used them a few times to 1)see if they worked, and 2) to pull off some shenanigans that required running on ice.

The muzzle covers...not so much IMO. No piece of plastic or cloth is going to take the place of my muzzle awareness or weapon cleaning discipline. We don't use em.

Books
04-08-2008, 17:45
They aren't as pretty and they melt to your barrel after a mag or two, but condoms work as a muzzle cover in a pinch. . .

hotshot
04-17-2008, 18:46
There are much better things to spend your money, or the Armys money on. If you are in a unit that just carries their weapons around the fob then maybe. But we would be shooting them off all the time and then having to scrape melted plastic off of our gun. And the condom thing, come on man. You should be conducting weapons maintenance anyways.

CH

rzbk
05-20-2008, 05:18
A couple of buddies in my unit turned me onto a site that you Oakley fans will probably appreciate as much as I do. (http://www.usstandardissue.com) I get my Oakley stuff from there because the prices are damn near 50% less than a retail store. Good perk...they ship to APO's for those of you reading this thread that are down range.:cool:

FMF DOC
05-20-2008, 05:35
A good knife

GPS

All Weather lighter

Razor
05-20-2008, 23:17
A couple of buddies in my unit turned me onto a site that you Oakley fans will probably appreciate as much as I do.

Um, thanks but...http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11350&highlight=usstandardissue

Weaponsguy76
05-27-2008, 03:58
Golfballs were clutch in Afghanistan. I would give a few warning shots out of the M2 or M9 to every vehicle or person who hadnt learned to slow down and move to the side of the road when we past by. All vehicles except the buses. Two many civilians to risk hurting. I had this one guy that drove a bus and no matter what I did or yelled he would always wave by us hauling ass because he knew we wouldn't shoot at a bus full of people. Throw a golf ball or two through his wind shield he pulled over everytime since. The look on his face the first time I reached back and launch those balls was hilarious. Never had anymore problems.

tinmanHRSO
06-08-2008, 04:13
G

HOOT
07-26-2008, 18:19
Not in any order but the following.

Gaming Laptop
Helmet Camera. I have the POV which is a cool setup
Digital camera (looking for one that is dust and water proof. check out pentax cameras.
Petzl head lamp, unless you like tripping over newly constructed hesco baskets
video camera, hi def or not, maybe with image stabilization depending on what your doing
Subglasses, your choice and whatever your unit says as far as uniformity
knife
gerber tool
rechargable batteries 2 sets
100 MPH TAPE AND LOTS OF 550
windproof lighter
PSP
Portable DVD player
thumb drive or external hard drive
Ipod and extra earphones
External Speakers so you can set up in the humvee
pashtun, dari MP3 phrases so you can put it on your ipod, then maybe use external speakers to play certain phrases from your ipod to locals

next you need to worry about what items will you make you most effecitve while doing your job. since every1s job and mission is different i wont go into it too much but I.E
gloves
glasses
LBV setup
boots
map holder
etc.

A little overkill but your gone for a year or more. make it as comfortable as possible. ok ill shut up now

regular guy
01-06-2010, 13:52
1. Ranger panties

If you wear a flight suit a lot, they are money. Unless you are just that guy who doesn't rock anything. Dirty.

2. Camping chair

3. Pelican tac light.

4. www.genuinetobacco.com ships to APO addresses. Man was not meant to dip Formalde-hagen. Often times you will see the date on the bottom of the can from 3 days ago. Really fresh.

5. The new Suunto x10 is the heat. Pricey, but what happened to the GPS on your rack that you ditched in the river? Great E and E plan.

6. Smart wool. Of anything.

7. Mechanics gloves. A few. Be careful, a lot of em aren't flash rated. Make sure yours are.

8. Merrells if you can. Solomons are nice too, so are Asolos. Combat boots are great for road marching and general use, but a trail-running/hiking shoe makes your money for you.

9. Converter plug.

10. Peltor's, Sordin's, some sort of over ear protection. I have used Peltor's for a couple years now, and no major complaints. I have used the Com-Tacs which were frustrating when you need to talk to someone and you get clipped by radio traffic because that has priority. Don't get the radio capable ones unless you really need the ability. I haven't ever used Sordin's, but apparently 3/75 has been using them for a while and some dudes from there like them better than the Peltor's. Sordin is MSA's Cadillac of ear pro, so don't get the Kia by geting the MSA. I HAVE used the MSA line and after the first mission it went straight back to supply. Garbage.

11. If you have internet access most of the time, look into going online to school such as University of Phoenix. Why waste all the down time on movies and shows? I know a lot of guys have high op tempo so I won't beat this one to death.

12. If this applies, don't be afraid to buy some of your own armor. The IOTV is cumbersome, impractical, and heavy for foot movements. The army is fielding a Eagle industries version of the Ranger Body Armor that is quick release, light weight, and better defined for the foot soldier. Pricey again, but look into similar styles if your command climate is good. Especially if you are in a Scout/Recce/Recon unit.

Dear Joey, please don't spend 500 dollars on a GPS watch. That's what your Team Leader is for.

caveman
01-06-2010, 18:12
4. www.genuinetobacco.com ships to APO addresses. Man was not meant to dip Formalde-hagen. Often times you will see the date on the bottom of the can from 3 days ago. Really fresh.

That site is priceless, our px went months without copenhagen.

LR27
01-07-2010, 11:34
Since bringing a stack of books on deployment is spatially impractical, I recommend investing in an Amazon Kindle. Compact, Wi-Fi capable, and the books are usually much cheaper than buying them from a store or online.

gits
01-16-2010, 05:10
I don't think anyone has said this but a good memory foam mattress top for your bed. Of course not everyone will ever end up having a bed to sleep on but if you got beds at your firebase then it definitely a lot more comfortable on your back. :lifter

x SF med
01-17-2010, 15:08
Ok... I saw a couple of things I know would bring-

A good compass. ' nuff said.

A good battery charger (they have them for the CR123's used by most tac lights) or two - and rechargeable batteries - everready makes a good 15 minute charger for AA/AAA batteries - the batteries last about 10x longer than the non rechargeables in my digital camera.

A good neck knife/boot knife.

extra Rx Glasses (2 extras, plus you normal wear pair) if you wear them - a good glasses keeper/strap, and a hard case to keep an extra pair with you.

MtnGoat
01-17-2010, 17:06
I had this one guy that drove a bus and no matter what I did or yelled he would always wave by us hauling ass because he knew we wouldn't shoot at a bus full of people. Throw a golf ball or two through his wind shield he pulled over everytime since. The look on his face the first time I reached back and launch those balls was hilarious. Never had anymore problems.

Now that is funny!! Brings to mind a potatoe gun!!

ccrn
03-31-2010, 12:14
12. If this applies, don't be afraid to buy some of your own armor. The IOTV is cumbersome, impractical, and heavy for foot movements. The army is fielding a Eagle industries version of the Ranger Body Armor that is quick release, light weight, and better defined for the foot soldier. Pricey again, but look into similar styles if your command climate is good. Especially if you are in a Scout/Recce/Recon unit.

We were warned about this.

Our unit actually told us if we were killed wearing non-issue armour that our SGLI would be revoked.

Not sure of the legalities of this, but something to consider-

Surgicalcric
03-31-2010, 14:29
...Our unit actually told us if we were killed wearing non-issue armor that our SGLI would be revoked...

The reason such was started is because PFC-CSM Joe Snuffy has no idea what level of protection he needs for a given threat. It is easier to deny guys buying armor from ebay, LE gear shops, etc - which in more cases than not doesnt meet the same standard as that which is issued - simple because its lighter than it is trying to evaluate each piece of armor every guy wants to buy.

Crip

Aoresteen
05-12-2010, 12:39
Birthday & aniversary cards.

This trip I brought all the greeting cards I would need while I'm gone. The PX never has any cards that you need. If your Uncle's step-son is graduating from chef's school they will have a card for it but a birthday card for your wife, never.

Just put them in a 1 gal zip-lock bag.

badshot
05-18-2010, 16:57
The Suunto's are nice tools but aren't as strong as they could be...with that said some things not mentioned:

1) a couple of small tubes of JB Weld
2) Roll or two of high quality electrical tape.
3) Cloth tape
4) Sewing kit - Kevlar or Nylon thread

I put back together a Suunto 9i using JB Weld and electrical tape, the tape held everything in place until the JB Weld dried. Used a Leatherman file to round off any edges. Its stronger than the original was. Good cloth tape is hard to find but is good for sound reduction on stuff, getting a better grip, or can be used as patch material. If you tear stuff up like me, especially gloves, a good compact Sewing kit will double their life.

MDB
06-16-2010, 16:56
Here's my shortlist. Much has been discussed alredy....

Must haves:
- Good personal flashlight. My Surefire 6P (LED upgrade) lasted two tours. LED upgrade pushes usable battery life to 12+ hours at 80 lumens.
- Ipod, a no-brainer. How I survived on CD's in 2004 is beyond me. Buy good headphones.
- A mini-laptop. I bought a cheap $350 Acer netbook from Amazon and it was small enough to tote everywhere.
- A digital camera.
- Thorlo's, 8 pairs have lasted me over a year and still going strong. Opinions will vary on these but I've loved them.
- Danner TFX's. Best boots I've worn, hands down. Like the thorlo's, your mileage may vary.
- A good sling. 3-pointers seem clumsy. I've used a VTAC 2-point and an SKD single point. Both have their uses.
- Good eye pro. I wish I'd bought a pair FlakJackets earlier. The issue ESS glasses never fit my head just right.

Good to haves:
- A good notebook. Green book cover by AITES (no longer in production) is great. Keeps the pens, protractors, quicky cards, rosters etc easily organized. I like to be organized; and it fits in a SAW pouch perfect.
- A pistol lanyard for your NVG's. Get a bungee lanyard and tie it off to your NVG's. Get an S-ring from the PX and connect them. You never have to worry about silly dummy cord in your face during night missions, the bungee lanyard is always held taught and out of your way on the back of your ACH.
- Mini-D-rings or PX S-rings to tie your stuff down, take extras.
- Mini-lights from the PX, attach them to everything, makes life so much easier.
- Casio Pathfinder. I cannot compare to other 'tactical' watches, but this pre-deployment gift from my wife continues to serve me well.
- Markers, pens, paint-pens, pencils, protractors, 550 cord, 100mph tape; all by the pallet.
- A printer. I had to beg and borrow to print documents many times. I wish I'd bought a cheapo printer. Even as 11B I was surprised how much stuff I had to print while deployed (the second time, first time we had no power).

Back to reading and learning.....

ixo
07-07-2010, 01:21
Some stuff I always bring:
AM/FM Transmitter for IPOD (with cig charger)
extra pt gear (they always sold out)
Moleskin, lots of it
1 Bottle of Aloe for sunburns
some twin size sheets
Baby whipes
extra DEET
Zip ties and an extra Poncho

It's great during sandstorms to zip tie the poncho to your each hand and both your feet and attempt to fly. Always great entertainer.

bosljeff
09-11-2010, 09:10
If your personal laptop is a Mac, you can subscribe to the MobileMe feature and just store your personal stuff out there in the mobileme "cloud". It also has an option to copy that cloud to your hard drive in case you lose or don't have access online for whatever reason. It will sync later when you get back online.

D6Romeo
12-03-2010, 12:55
When I deployed we got 3 issued duffel bags to fill with our gear and whatever extra room we had thats for personal use. And an assault pack. But then you can throw a few things in the tough boxes that are shipped out before you leave if your lucky.

Snaquebite
12-03-2010, 13:36
D6Romeo,

Do not post again until you have complied with the instructions you recieved when you signed up at PS.com.

khy3eb
12-19-2010, 03:42
If your Uncle's step-son is graduating from chef's school they will have a card for it but a birthday card for your wife, never.

True enough, I've gotten by this deployment just sending random cards and then writing a little note apologizing for the card having nothing to do with the event that I'm sending it for. My family thinks is kinda funny and understands that the PX doesn't always have what I need it to.

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned here are those little plastic water-tight containers for keeping your ID cards in. My CAC, Eagle Cash card, and calling cards all sit in one right now. That or one of those bloody armband ID holders.

Guy
12-20-2010, 09:07
"Concealable" holster for pistol & mags.

Civilian clothing, not "all" 5-11s and colors other than tan.

Sports jacket.

A real belt not the A7-A strap.

Shoes other than hiking boots.

kawika
12-24-2010, 18:11
They make shoes other than hikers? I bet next your going to tell me some craziness like theres watches other than suuntos and hats other than tan ones with american flags on them.

But seriously I always bring a GPS running watch. It combats the old team philosphy of "we ran for 30 minutes so thats a minimum 4 miles." A fat grip to put on a workout bar is nice ( similiar to this Fat Grip (http://flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=213&pid=3181))

Phone cards, you never know. Extra weapons cleaning stuff the bravos don't have (synthetic lube, bronze non marring picks, extra patches). I definately second the concealable holster, its hilarious when you see senior e-7's using their belt loops as a holster.

Your own sights is always nice such as a magnifer for your EOTECH or personal preference. Same goes with small things like slings and buttstocks.

Coming up in the rear is microfiber towels and a stove system(jetboil).

18B30P
12-26-2010, 23:56
-Non-standard uniforms (BDU/DCU/MARPAT)

-Sewing kit

-550 Cord

:cool:

kgoerz
12-27-2010, 08:07
Here's my shortlist. Much has been discussed alredy....

Must haves:
- Good personal flashlight. My Surefire 6P (LED upgrade) lasted two tours. LED upgrade pushes usable battery life to 12+ hours at 80 lumens.
- Ipod, a no-brainer. How I survived on CD's in 2004 is beyond me. Buy good headphones.
- A mini-laptop. I bought a cheap $350 Acer netbook from Amazon and it was small enough to tote everywhere.
- A digital camera.
- Thorlo's, 8 pairs have lasted me over a year and still going strong. Opinions will vary on these but I've loved them.
- Danner TFX's. Best boots I've worn, hands down. Like the thorlo's, your mileage may vary.
- A good sling. 3-pointers seem clumsy. I've used a VTAC 2-point and an SKD single point. Both have their uses.
- Good eye pro. I wish I'd bought a pair FlakJackets earlier. The issue ESS glasses never fit my head just right.

Good to haves:
- A good notebook. Green book cover by AITES (no longer in production) is great. Keeps the pens, protractors, quicky cards, rosters etc easily organized. I like to be organized; and it fits in a SAW pouch perfect.
- A pistol lanyard for your NVG's. Get a bungee lanyard and tie it off to your NVG's. Get an S-ring from the PX and connect them. You never have to worry about silly dummy cord in your face during night missions, the bungee lanyard is always held taught and out of your way on the back of your ACH.
- Mini-D-rings or PX S-rings to tie your stuff down, take extras.
- Mini-lights from the PX, attach them to everything, makes life so much easier.
- Casio Pathfinder. I cannot compare to other 'tactical' watches, but this pre-deployment gift from my wife continues to serve me well.
- Markers, pens, paint-pens, pencils, protractors, 550 cord, 100mph tape; all by the pallet.
- A printer. I had to beg and borrow to print documents many times. I wish I'd bought a cheapo printer. Even as 11B I was surprised how much stuff I had to print while deployed (the second time, first time we had no power).

Back to reading and learning.....

We all did it when we were in. Buying gear out of our pockets. In a perfect world our unit would get it. But not all units have impact cards readily available to the guys with boots on the ground.
I always tell the students that sometimes spending money out of your pocket comes with the territory. Especially weapons accessories, slings, lights....etc. I don't like it, but nothing is more important then your life sustaining first line gear.

perdurabo
12-27-2010, 13:47
If your personal laptop is a Mac, you can subscribe to the MobileMe feature and just store your personal stuff out there in the mobileme "cloud". It also has an option to copy that cloud to your hard drive in case you lose or don't have access online for whatever reason. It will sync later when you get back online.

Or, if you have limited space requirements, you can get a free 2GB Dropbox.com account, which is accessible natively on virtually every desktop and mobile platform, or via a web browser on multi-user computers in the mess area or wherever.

BryanK
03-17-2011, 07:50
I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who posted on this thread. This is my first deployment, and several things mentioned here I bought before MOB. I don't know how I'd keep my sanity without them! Although I had to kick out a good bit of money, it was well worth it. To those deploying/deployed, good luck and may God be with you all. Take care!

SlyFox
03-31-2011, 23:51
About halfway through my recent (and first) deployment I had an electric kettle mailed to me. It boiled water in about 2min, that combined with copious amounts of Starbucks instant coffee received via care packages kept me happy in the cold. Great for Top Ramen too. Also, an IR Flashlight (other than the one I had mounted) is something I will be bringing next time. Last but not least, a 20 box of Ave Maria Knight's Templar cigars.

Cake_14N
04-22-2011, 07:42
I would include a couple of other items:

1. A Steripen to zap any nasties in the water.

http://www.rei.com/product/784449/steripen-safe-water-purifier-system

This one uses standard batteries, but they make other models that have a solar charger for recharging lithium batts.

2. A Solar charging system, different models have a wide range of tips to attach to the device providing power to phones, PSP, iPods, and even LED Lights.

3. Spices and seasonings. Dfacs are typically terrible, and garlic salt can do wonders for an MRE.

Cake

Druid5
04-22-2011, 13:59
On my 2nd deployment right now, so here's my list;

Must have:
- At least one good knife. I always have my Benchmade in my pocket, except when PTing, plus my primary knife when on patrol. A good reliable knife is your best friend when you need it the most.
- Decent magazines. Magpul Pmags are good reliable cheap magazines, unlike what the Army issues, which can be a crap shoot at best.
- A dependable watch, plus a backup if it breaks. Walmart specials are good throwaways and you don't have to worry about banging them around.
- Decent, well broken-in boots, at least two pair. Corcoran Desert Marauders are honestly the best boots i've ever worn. I'm on my second pair now and my first pair are still with me after 5 years, Iraq and a couple resolings.
- A decent sling that doesn't get in your way or obstruct weapon function. A wolf hook or single point sling works well for me, but personal preference varies.
- Eye pro, with either back inserts or a back up pair. Eye pro is easy enough to find in theater, but again, you go with what you like and cheap SI Oakleys take a while depending on the mail system.
- Batteries. Depending on your personal electronic needs, brings at least enough to last you for four changes.
- If you have rechargeable electronics (Roshan cell phone, Ipod, even a laptop) a solar charger is usuful, especially during the summer months when there's plenty of sun.
- Locks. Enough for all your bags, plus anything you plan on securing. There's only one thief in the Army and everybody else is just trying to get their stuff back.
- 550 cord. There are infinite uses for 550 cord and you'll never have enough. If nothing else, its a nice distraction learning how to braid or knit.
- A decent flash light. Surefire or other variants are a good option, especially if you plan to mount it on your weapon. A headlamp is also nice for when you need both hands free.

Nice to have;
- Computer. You're not guaranteed a whole lot of down time, if any. The MWR is usually crowded and the options for internet are few, if any. If nothing else, video games when you do have down time are a nice distraction.
- Compass. Plain old lens-static compass. Electronics eventually fail and a compass is always something I try to include in my bag.
- Digital Camera. Useful in the field if you come across something you have to make note of or jot down for further use.
- Extra gloves. Most Army issue gloves eventually rip or burst their seams and will leave you hand exposed. You can get reissued new gloves, but I always like to have extra on hand just in case. Plus, winter months usually necessitate better gloves than what is issued.
- Pelican cases for anything you want to secure and/or safeguard. Hard drives, laptops, etc will sometimes suffer being thrown around due to mishandling and these will help protect them from shock/water.
- Any personal preference items you can't do without. The PX is at best of times very selective on what they stock and at the worst of times out of the one thing you can't do without. If you're lucky enough to actually have a PX that is.

Razor
04-26-2011, 14:29
- Compass. Plain old lens-static compass.

I hear lensatic compasses work pretty well, too.

Druid5
04-26-2011, 22:49
Those too. I also carry extra hyphens that I try to get rid of whenever I can.

upchuck
04-27-2011, 01:52
A satellite dish (with signal and elevation meter), a good wireless router that you can hack (Google DD-WRT or Tomato), a few wireless access points, CAT-5 cable testers, plenty of CAT-5 and a couple good cable crimpers.

Bentley-Walker will ship the dish to you before you mobilize so you will be able to have internet for your element as soon as you hit the ground.

We were able to get a personal network up and running in less than 24 hours and it was easy enough to move when my platoon did our rotations to the AFCOPs. We might of not had showers or hot chow, but we had internet!

If anyone wants specifics let me know. I can start a personal internet lessons learned thread.

Dozer523
04-27-2011, 06:28
A satellite dish (with signal and elevation meter), a good wireless router that you can hack (Google DD-WRT or Tomato). Holy cow!
We might of not had showers or hot chow, but we had internet!. So ya'll were streaming educational web sites we're you?:D Triple X marks the spot.
If anyone wants specifics let me know. I can start a personal internet lessons learned thread. Holy cow!

Richard
04-27-2011, 06:34
We might of not had showers or hot chow, but we had internet!

How times have changed.

Richard :munchin

JJ_BPK
04-27-2011, 07:17
A satellite dish (with signal and elevation meter), a good wireless router that you can hack (Google DD-WRT or Tomato), a few wireless access points, CAT-5 cable testers, plenty of CAT-5 and a couple good cable crimpers.

Bentley-Walker will ship the dish to you before you mobilize so you will be able to have internet for your element as soon as you hit the ground.

We were able to get a personal network up and running in less than 24 hours and it was easy enough to move when my platoon did our rotations to the AFCOPs. We might of not had showers or hot chow, but we had internet!

If anyone wants specifics let me know. I can start a personal internet lessons learned thread.

I must be ancient..

I was happy to get ONE(1) can of ANY soda and ONE(1) can of ANY Beer, once a week..

Thank GOD,
it was pasteurized,
everyday,
sitting in the sun,
on the resupply chopper pad..

:lifter:D:lifter

upchuck
04-27-2011, 07:23
Holy cow!
So ya'll were streaming educational web sites we're you?:D Triple X marks the spot.
Holy cow!

Not exactly. With these systems you are sharing less than 10% of a typical urban cable connection with 20 other users - on a good day. I had to block out many streaming sites so my team (ETT) could do things like skype with their families. We did however have a *ahem* collection large enough to make Hugh Hefner blush on a shared drive. :D

This was by far the best money spent during the deployment. It also makes for a great senior rater bullets on your NCOER when you control the flow of bits to your LTs room.

edoo118
04-27-2011, 21:54
I must be ancient..

I was happy to get ONE(1) can of ANY soda and ONE(1) can of ANY Beer, once a week..

Thank GOD,
it was pasteurized,
everyday,
sitting in the sun,
on the resupply chopper pad..

:lifter:D:lifter

Hey, that's more beer than I get in 6 months... :boohoo

MST
04-30-2011, 15:04
Duct tape for the gear, medical tape for the fingers

Surgicalcric
04-30-2011, 15:10
Duct tape for the gear, medical tape for the fingers

Or just carry 100mph tape as it will serve both purposes. ;)

Crip

18C4V
04-30-2011, 15:38

I'm down for that thread!!!

How much is the dish?

Guy
04-30-2011, 16:28
I'm down for that thread!!!

How much is the dish?http://www.bentley-walker.com/military/iraq#price

http://www.bentley-walker.com/military/afghanistan

Stay safe.

ES 96
05-01-2011, 02:37
This was by far the best money spent during the deployment. It also makes for a great senior rater bullets on your NCOER when you control the flow of bits to your LTs room.

Enabled QoS and set your LT's HW addy to "Highest" did ye? Well played. :cool:

Alacrity
05-22-2011, 08:51
It is expensive, but I shelled out the money for some Crye Precision gear and it is worth it. I have the Cage Plate Carrier and it is the most comfortable body armor I've ever worn. When you're doing 72-hr ops dropped in some Afghan valley and you've got to walk everywhere, your shoulders get destroyed from carrying all that kit. Last year I used the army issued plate carrier and I wouldn't be surprised if I have nerve damage from wearing that bloody thing.

Now, after about 12 hours it'll suck anyway, but it's still much more comfortable than the issued stuff.

Last year I didn't spend much money at all. That changed this year... I decided to hell with it, I'm gonna rock some good gear. Some brands I like:

Crye Precision
Mountain Hardwear
Magpul
Ops-Core
Fenix
Under Armour
Triple Aught Design
Oakley

I use a lot of Crye's stuff; they have many products that are designed intelligently. (I only wish their customer service was as good as their gear) Mountain Hardwear makes great baselayer clothing and it's easy to get a military discount and save ~50% on their stuff. They make a lightweight beanie that you can wear under your helmet. Very nice. I use Ops-Core's H-harness chinstrap, best chinstrap I've ever used. Solid and doesn't come undone, unlike the issued chinstrap. For mags I prefer magpul's; they're tough, lightweight, reliable. They're a little larger than the issued mags but I'm fine with that. I also use their "badlever" which allows you to lock and release the bolt on your M4 with your firing hand. Takes a few tries to get used to, but once you do you won't ever have to switch hands to lock/release your bolt.

Under Armour's stuff I wear for working out; it's very comfortable. Oakleys go without saying, but I'll say it anyway - best eyepro in the business. Fenix makes pretty damned good flashlights, but since they're LED no IR solution yet. I talked to one of their reps over email and they're working on something IR for the military. As it is I use their HL21 headlamp, it has 3 different brightness settings, up to 90lumens. For a handheld light I use something similar to their PD20 model; mine is a few years older but does the same. 3 brightness settings and it can run a long time on one 123 battery.

Triple Aught Design makes some nice stuff. They are, however, very expensive. I bought their litespeed backpack and used it on a couple missions running slick on the back of my armor and it rode very well.

Few pointers for new gear guys....don't ever pay retail. You're military. E-mail the company you're interested in buying from, tell them you're military and ask if they have a military discount. Most do. Sometimes it's only 10%, but in some cases like Mountain Hardwear they have a prodeal program.

www.promotive.com , www.backcountryoutlet.com , www.steepandcheap.com , are all great places to look for gear deals.

Recreation-wise I use an Amazon Kindle for reading, and even though I missed paper books at first I don't now. It's so much easier to carry your library with you. You can't get every book on it, but you can get most of them. For a little over 100 books for the device, a battery that lasts a couple weeks with steady reading... no better solution out there to save weight and space if you travel.

Also I have to say that since I switched from pc to mac, my life has been much easier. Few things are as frustrating as having your pc shit itself on deployment and you spend hours trying to fix it before giving up. Never had a problem with my macbook pro.

As far as exercise gear... A friend and I buy from elitefts.com . We use the sled and the prowler http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&pid=1006 and some of the stretch bands for a few workouts and also for warming up. For explosive athletic strength, which is what we need for our job, the sled and prowler are great tools. Easy to throw on a pallet, too.