PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening the Carving Knife

Bill Harsey
11-22-2007, 15:59
Often the toughest knife to sharpen is your kitchen carving knife.

The reason for this is the blade is a bit flexible and it can be tough to get enough pressure out on the foward part of the blade to cause "sharpening".

I know all the QP's are squared away but just thought i'd mention this on Thanksgiving afternoon while I'm hiding from my in-laws. :D

Emergency questions might be answered in the next hour or so.

The Best possible Thanksgiving to all of you "somewhere else"

Bill Harsey
11-22-2007, 16:10
...oh yeah, I forgot to give you the key to this.
Use your finger tips on the non-knife handle holding hand to put pressure out on the forward part of the blades spine while sharpening.
Maybe you all do this naturally, I had to learn it the hard way while sharpening filet knives.
This works good on the carving knives too, especially since my wife will not let me bring the small chain saw in the house anymore.

PSM
11-22-2007, 16:11
Often the toughest knives to sharpen is your kitchen carving knife.

The reason for this is the blade is a bit flexible and it can be tough to get enough pressure out on the foward part of the blade to cause "sharpening".

I know all the QP's are squared away but just thought i'd mention this on Thanksgiving afternoon while I'm hiding from my in-laws. :D

You're a mind-reader Mr. H., I was just heading down to sharpen the blades.

My father-in-law is asleep in the front sunroom. :D

Enjoy!

Pat

kgoerz
11-22-2007, 16:12
Often the toughest knives to sharpen is your kitchen carving knife.

you ain't the only one hiding.......Make the Bad People go Away....

Smokin Joe
11-22-2007, 16:20
you ain't the only one hiding.......Make the Bad People go Away....

I was one of the really unfortunate ones this year...I have to work :D. The in-laws went somewhere else. :lifter

At times it does suck doing shift work......... now is NOT one of those times. :D

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you who are suffering, you are in my prayers.

P.S. Bill, I still use the newspaper trick on my carving knives.

Bill Harsey
11-22-2007, 16:21
PSM,
Inside tip: do NOT blame the knifes inability to cut properly on the quality of the cooking. This is not theory.

Kgoerz,
I do have suggestions but shouldn't put them on a public forum.
Good luck.

Bill Harsey
11-22-2007, 16:23
Smokin Joe,
Good job keeping the positive attitude. If you can get close to the Team Sergeants location, you might want to run a welfare check. Should be some grub there.

HOLLiS
11-22-2007, 16:27
Bill thank you for a excellent thread on this great day.

I wish everyone a great Thanksgiving day, safe refuge from in-laws, and a very full belly............

Smokin Joe
11-22-2007, 16:32
Smokin Joe,
Good job keeping the positive attitude. If you can get close to the Team Sergeants location, you might want to run a welfare check. Should be some grub there.

We touched base early on in the week, and all though I would love to draw fire for the man I am a little too far away to do so.

So, fortunately for me it will just be my little tribe this thanksgiving day enjoying small company with the other guys who are on duty.

PSM
11-22-2007, 17:01
PSM,
Inside tip: do NOT blame the knifes inability to cut properly on the quality of the cooking. This is not theory.

Wouldn't think of it. I do the cooking! :lifter This way, I don't have to clean up. :D

Pat