PDA

View Full Version : Gravity / Inversion Boots

mugwump
11-20-2007, 12:57
Anyone have a personal recommendation for gravity/inversion boots, i.e. the ones where you hang like a bat? I don't need the whole frame, just the boots -- they'll be used with a rock solid pull-up bar. They'll be used primarily for ab/hip flexor work, not pain relief. The ones I've handled are at least partially plastic, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but they're a gift for someone who is rehabbing and I don't want a spinal injury on my conscience. His physical therapist said they'd be a Good Thing but wouldn't give a recommendation.

have_gun
11-20-2007, 15:00
Mine are foam lined steel, very solid and heavy. I've had them for > 25 years and still feel uncomfortable hanging. I also use a braced pull-up bar.

I can't believe that plastic boots would be any less capable of holding up an adult than steel. If nothing else, less mass around the ankles would make me more comfortable.

Hope that helps!

Regards,
HG

Ret10Echo
11-21-2007, 05:38
Anyone have a personal recommendation for gravity/inversion boots, i.e. the ones where you hang like a bat? I don't need the whole frame, just the boots -- they'll be used with a rock solid pull-up bar. They'll be used primarily for ab/hip flexor work, not pain relief. The ones I've handled are at least partially plastic, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but they're a gift for someone who is rehabbing and I don't want a spinal injury on my conscience. His physical therapist said they'd be a Good Thing but wouldn't give a recommendation.

Mug,
I have a set of the "plastic" boots and I don't think there would be a safety issue. I was using them as part of a the EZ-Up system that I purchased..... I have since converted to an inversion table. The table requires significantly less acrobatics to get inverted and you have the option of not going completely vertical.

R10

mugwump
11-21-2007, 08:43
Thanks guys.

Diablo
11-21-2007, 13:29
My .02 here is that the table, while costing more, does a much better job of controlling the forces. I have used many types/brands, but am currently using a table made by Teeter Hang Ups. Costco sells them for about $275. I use mine for pain relief from an old spinal injury and it works wonders. The boots by themselves are difficult to get into- upside down that is- and provide ample chances to drop yourself on your head. If the paln is to "work out" upside down i.e. sit ups, chrunches tec. then the boots are better in that they offer more freedom of movement, and the risk of dropping yourself is limited because you are a PT stud to begin with.

mugwump
11-21-2007, 13:42
Yep, the plan is to work out upside down. His upper body strength is quite good, so swinging up and hooking on would seem pretty doable.