PDA

View Full Version : FSA Combatives ?

Novice Snowflake
11-12-2007, 05:25
Hi, I decided to de-lurk and from this book/video list of recommendations. I have been studying FSA combatives and they certainly are very effective.

Has anything been updated or are there any additional books/videos you recommend from your personal experience ?

I would like to be that prepared before enlisting in the U.S. Army and go for airborne/ranger/sf.

Thank you.

http://www.gutterfighting.org/MoM.html

The Reaper
11-12-2007, 08:31
I heartily recommend that ALL new members introduce themselves, as instructed in the registration message and several other places here, BEFORE asking any questions.

Very few effective techniques can be learned from a book or a video.

Good luck.

TR

Novice Snowflake
11-13-2007, 00:14
Making an introduction. Thank you very much.

Novice Snowflake
11-13-2007, 00:39
Very few effective techniques can be learned from a book or a video.

TR

I guess what I am trying to say is that I would like to be that prepared ahead of time before I enlist in the U.S. Army. I have been reading up on WWII combatives and basically the old school stuff.

I am wondering if there are any modern day or more of the old school books and videos that could really help prepare me to be a better soldier.

Also, is there a required reading list for the SF soldier please ? Thank you.

The Reaper
11-13-2007, 06:08
While you may enjoy doing MMA, I would tell you thst you would be better off doing PT or rucking to improve your odds of success at SF.

No one has failed assessment and selection for poor grappling skills, but a lot of them do for inability to run and ruck well enough.

Best of luck.

TR

Novice Snowflake
11-13-2007, 11:18
Thank you, The Reaper. When doing rucks while running,

Should I work with 5lbs all the way up to 120lbs ? I would think this is a much more safe way to progress at this rate until I am physically tough enough to handle the extra workload. I have hex dumb bells from 5 lb. to 120 lbs.

I got them from http://www.usedgymequipment.com/dumbbells.htm to help prepare for Army basic training and eventually SF.

I heard it was 40 lbs ? and the guy I was talking to was current Army and not in SF and he said SF probably carries much more than weight, rucking.

The Reaper
11-13-2007, 11:34
Thank you, The Reaper. When doing rucks while running,

Should I work with 5lbs all the way up to 120lbs ? I would think this is a much more safe way to progress at this rate until I am physically tough enough to handle the extra workload. I have hex dumb bells from 5 lb. to 120 lbs.

I got them from http://www.usedgymequipment.com/dumbbells.htm to help prepare for Army basic training and eventually SF.

I heard it was 40 lbs ? and the guy I was talking to was current Army and not in SF and he said SF probably carries much more than weight, rucking.

I would follow the instructions in the SWCS PT Prep handbook that your recruiter should have given you and that we reference here elsewhere.

Are you actually on a contract?

Have you spoken to a recruiter?

You are getting way ahead of yourself.

TR

Novice Snowflake
11-13-2007, 11:37
I would follow the instructions in the SWCS PT Prep handbook that your recruiter should have given you and that we reference here elsewhere.

Are you actually on a contract?

Have you spoken to a recruiter?

You are getting way ahead of yourself.

TR

I have not started talking to the recruiter yet. I plan on making an appointment to see the recruiter.

The Reaper
11-13-2007, 11:44
I have not started talking to the recruiter yet. I plan on making an appointment to see the recruiter.

Since you haven't found the relevant threads yet, I recommend more reading and less posting.

Good luck.

TR

Novice Snowflake
11-13-2007, 11:53
Since you haven't found the relevant threads yet, I recommend more reading and less posting.

Good luck.

TR

Thank you and that is why I was lurking for a while then finally posted a few questions and now going back to reading some more.