PDA

View Full Version : Common Sense

BMT (RIP)
11-11-2007, 14:59
Mourning a long lost friend
Today, we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Mr. Common Sense. Mr. Sense had been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape. He will be remembered as having cultivated such values as knowing when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm, and that life isn't always fair.

Common Sense lived by simple rules, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn) and reliable parenting strategies (adults, not kids, are in charge). His health began to rapidly deteriorate when well intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place.

Reports of a 6-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate, a teen suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student only worsened his condition. Mr. Sense declined even further when President George W. Bush wouldn't stop the invasion of the U.S. by Mexico.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband and criminals received better treatment than the victims. Common Sense finally gave up the fight when President Bush declared the Patriot Act into law, the Thought Crimes Prevention Bill (The Violent Radicalization and Homegrown Terrorism Prevention Act of 2007), the John Warner National Defense Authorization Act of 2007, which repeals the Posse Comitatus Act and which means America has given away our rights as citizens.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust; his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; his son, Reason. He is survived by his stepsisters, My Rights and Ima Whiner.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone!

incommin
11-11-2007, 15:27
That's not funny......

Jim

monsterhunter
11-12-2007, 09:20
All those who knew and loved Common Sense, and his late family, must now donate their blood, sweat and tears (along with their income) to those who never knew or cared to know him.

mdb23
11-12-2007, 11:41
Common Sense finally gave up the fight when President Bush declared the Patriot Act into law, the Thought Crimes Prevention Bill (The Violent Radicalization and Homegrown Terrorism Prevention Act of 2007), the John Warner National Defense Authorization Act of 2007, which repeals the Posse Comitatus Act and which means America has given away our rights as citizens.

I'm slightly ashamed to admit that I had not heard of the Warner Act, so I did some research on it while sitting here at work........

Public Law 109-364, or the "John Warner Defense Authorization Act of 2007" (H.R.5122) (2), which was signed by the commander in chief on October 17th, 2006, in a closed Oval Office ceremony, allows the President to declare a "public emergency" and station troops anywhere in America and take control of state-based National Guard units without the consent of the governor or local authorities, in order to suppress public disorder.

My question is, exactly how much of an expansion of power is this over the President's pervious ability to declare Marshal Law?