PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for your Service

Jack Moroney (RIP)
11-11-2007, 07:36
I know that this is the day that we honor those living that have answered the call to arms in service to our country. This day was easier when I first hung up my ruck because many of my compatriots who walked off the fields of honor were still with us. Days like Memorial Day, Veteran's Day, and specific anniversaries of personal military events all had distinct blocks in my life. Not so anymore. Now there is a continuum of images that wash over my mind much like an incoming tide filled with bits of recollections forming a fluid mosaic with each memory vying for prominence but being replaced by another. Maybe it is because time is starting to exact its toll on me or maybe it's because the contacts and calls from past comrades are fewer and those that still come have the haunting sound of death's rattle. The joy once gained from the momentoes that adorn the refuge of my den now bring a certain bitter sweet sadness because there is no longer a picture, plaque, or trinket that does not contain a sharp memory of a departed compatriot from times now fading into an era long past. So on this Veteran's Day I honor all of you for your service to our country but ask your indulgence on my inability to do so without also honoring those but for whose sacrifices many of us would not be here on this Veteran's Day 2007.

Roguish Lawyer
11-11-2007, 08:12
Well said, sir. Let me add my sincere gratitude for all who have served.

echoes
11-11-2007, 08:25
Sir,

That was beautiful. Would like to add my thanks to all who have served.

Five-O
11-11-2007, 10:01
A sincere thank you to all my brother's and sister's currently serving or retired or otherwise separated honorably from the Armed Forces of this great country. And a heart felt thank you to all those civilians who support the greatest force of good on the planet.

Trip_Wire (RIP)
11-11-2007, 12:13
A sincere thank you to all my brother's and sister's currently serving or retired or otherwise separated honorably from the Armed Forces of this great country.

http://www.iwo.com/heroes.htm

CPTAUSRET
11-11-2007, 12:59
Beautifully stated, COL!

AMEN!

Ambush Master
11-11-2007, 13:02
HEAR HEAR SIR!!!

May God Bless and Protect our Brothers and Sisters in Harms Way at the Pointy End of the Spear, and all of those who have Honorably Served!!

nmap
11-11-2007, 14:15
Both beautiful and powerful, Sir.

Thank you (and all those who serve or have served) for the gift of liberty and safety.

Gypsy
11-11-2007, 14:58
My heartfelt thanks to our Veterans...our Country owes you a debt of gratitude that cannot be repaid in mere words. God bless each one of you for your service and for your sacrifices.

HOLLiS
11-11-2007, 15:07
Thank you for expressing this day so well.

My most sincere thank you for all the men and women who are currently serving our country and gratitude for all those who have served so honorably.

incommin
11-11-2007, 15:24
Well said COL; I believe no other profession, aside from LE and firefighters, feels the loss of its members as much as we do. For all that have fallen, rest in peace. For all who have served or still serve, may the good Lord keep you safe.

Jim

sg1987
11-11-2007, 16:07
True heartfelt thanks to all who have served.

Beautiful words Col., thank you.

x SF med
11-11-2007, 16:20
Thank you COL Moroney, I'll second that.

CoLawman
11-11-2007, 16:57
Well said Colonel. My heroes are those who have served or are serving this great nation. Period.

jbour13
11-11-2007, 17:19
Hell of a way to open a new thread and hard to follow, Well said Sir!!

To all my brothers and sisters past and present that are willing to sacrifice. Thank You for giving me the chance to serve, the traditions to uphold, and the honor to walk in your footsteps.

V/R
SSG B

blowfish
11-11-2007, 19:06
The cornerstone of freedom is comprised of the gravestones of those brave men and women who served and gave all, and the blood, sweat, and tears of their brothers and sisters who served beside them.

To all those who have served, and for all those serving still, a sincere and heartfelt Thank You!

JGarcia
11-11-2007, 19:28
Col. Moroney Sir,
Your post is further evidence that the literary world is not as it should be without your book; we would all love to sit down and read your tales, and opinions. I'd love to read about all those who you've known that are no longer with us. American history lives in your mind please share it with us.

Today in my city, we had our annual "Armistice Day" toast at 11:11 a.m. today November 11th at the Elks Lodge. It was started by two local guys who happened to be in the Army in WWI, there was a bottle of Cognac that went unopened until only one of them was left. It has been a pleasure serving with so many outstanding people, we truly do stand on the shoulders of giants.

"God Bless Us, Everyone."

bandycpa
11-11-2007, 20:51
Very well said, COL. Thank you for that beautiful post, and the sentiments behind it.

Thank you to all those who served and are now serving. I can never repay you for what you do and have done, but I can express my gratitude to you and tell you that I will never forget the debt I owe you.

With sincerest thanks,

Bandy

dmgedgoods
11-12-2007, 00:05
No need to rewrite what others have written. All I can say is thank you. Thank you to all my brothers and sisters in arms.

Stand tall, today is your day.

Shawn

3SoldierDad
11-12-2007, 03:36
Thank you to all the men and women who have served. We are grateful.

God Bless You.

Three Soldier Dad...Chuck

vsvo
11-12-2007, 13:56
Beautifully written, Sir.

To all those who have served, and those who are serving, thank you for your service and sacrifice.

Firebeef
11-12-2007, 19:19
Col Moroney
well said Sir
to all our brothers who have gone before
to our brothers who serve still
to my son and his generation for the hardships, joys and sorrows yet to come
I took these pictures this evening at sunset, and reflected
and remembered

CosaNostraUSMC
11-12-2007, 20:37
Sir, that was thee best thing I've heard, in a long while. You SF guys never cease to amaze...almost causing me to lose my bearing, inciting the water works and all. You're truely a gentleman and a warrior, Sir. If I may, sum it up Corps fashion, "Fucking Outstanding".

Thank you to all of you, fellow service members...past, present and future. From my family and I, we're greatful.

Godspeed, to those who fought the good fight, I'll always charge hard as I can...everyday until my time comes...in your memories.

GratefulCitizen
11-12-2007, 23:45
Colonel Jack,

Your elegant prose reveals the exceptional qualities of a dedicated servant/leader.

I pray that this country will honor from the past, support in the present, and produce in the future men willing to bear such burdens on behalf of their country.

I offer my gratitude to all our veterans.

KiloNovember
11-13-2007, 10:22
I don't know how I missed this on Sunday...

Very well written, sir. To you and to all the others, thank you for your service.

chiefrick194
11-13-2007, 13:40
Sir,
I would like to thank you for your inspirational prose. I would also like to request your permission to copy it so I can recite it at my communities next Veteran’s Day Service. I will definitely give you credit, because everyone knows I do not have the ability to produce such a Masterpiece. Thank you again.

NSDQ
11-13-2007, 14:31
Col. Moroney Sir,
Your post is further evidence that the literary world is not as it should be without your book; we would all love to sit down and read your tales, and opinions. I'd love to read about all those who you've known that are no longer with us. American history lives in your mind please share it with us.

I concur JGarcia. Col, thank you for articulating what a lot of servicemembers I know feel.

http://www.iwo.com/heroes.htm

Thank you TW for the link.

Thank You all vetrans, for your service & sacrifices.

GANGSTER
11-13-2007, 15:42
Col Moroney
Powerful words, Sir! I hung on to every word and felt a connection with your sentiments. I'm honored to know you along with your work and words. A salute to everyone here who has served and the pride we share.

Team Sergeant
11-13-2007, 23:33
Seems we have a distinguished writer on board, now if we could just urge him to write a book......;)

One veteran's perspective

November 11, 2007

By JACK MORONEY

Veteran's Day means a lot to some, a little to others, nothing to many, and is often confused with Memorial Day by most.

While it is a day to honor those men and women who served in this nation's military, it is how the veteran perceives this day that might surprise those who, for one reason or another, never wore their country's uniform.

There are two distinct groups of veterans: those who served a tour in the military and then left to pursue civilian life, and those who chose the military as a profession and remained until retirement.

While service to one's country can often be a life-altering event for either group, I have found that it is the military retiree whose metamorphosis is most complete.

Those who serve and elect to return to civilian life are still basically who they were before they entered military service. There are exceptions of course, but those who return to civilian pursuits are once again the teacher, the mechanic, the professional business person and easily integrated back into society as a member of a civilian community.

The person that retires from active duty has no such identity, very rarely has ties to any civilian community and has learned a hard lesson that you make but very few close friends in the military. He is best defined not by who he was as a civilian but what he did in the military. It is the common thread that binds us all into that band of brothers that have stood for and with each other through indescribable experiences that defy understanding by those who were not witness to those events.

The more elite and demanding the units in which the retiree served, the greater the loss of his connection to civilian identity because there is just no parallel personal or professional civilian category into which he easily fits.

Things change over time, but over decades nothing is recognizable to most returning veterans. Many retirees' chosen path is not akin to a job but rather an all-consuming profession requiring total commitment to each other, their unit and the mission incurring significant, and sometimes unimaginable, physiological, psychological and personal costs.

Despite the portrayals in movies, there are no motivational sound tracks in the background and no glorious visions of striving for the greater good of God and country, just plain gut-wrenching emotions, pain, effort and selflessness to help each other get through to the next event.

I find it amusing that many folks who wish to honor veteran's or "support the troops" do so in blissful ignorance thinking that those of us that chose to serve stood on freedom's frontier at the behest of some ignominious military leader when the truth is that the military is the last card played by the politicians when all other elements of national power have failed. Civilians do not seem to understand that they have been stakeholders all along in the events experienced by veterans because of the very politicians that they have voted in or out of office. I have always thought that the best way to honor a veteran would be to have the entire Congress mustered on the veranda of Lee's Mansion within Arlington National Cemetery. Standing there they can see Washington, D.C., but in the process they have to over look the headstones of thousands of veterans lying in mute testimony to the folly of bad political decisions, political bickering and personal agendas.

It is not the veteran who needs Veteran's Day. For many of us the pride, the shadows, the pain and the tattered memories are with us every day. Veteran's Day is really for everyone other than the veteran so they never forget that we are still walking among them trying to be part of their lives although we have all willingly spent a good portion of ours by taking up the torch for those who could not or would not serve.

Jack Moroney is a retired U.S. Army Special Forces colonel who served in Vietnam. He was an Army service member from 1965 through 1993.

http://www.rutlandherald.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071111/FEATURES15/711110307/1030/FEATURES15

RTK
11-13-2007, 23:47
Sir,

With permission I'd like to share this with my students as a reminder of legacy they are standing to be part of.

v/r,

RTK

GANGSTER
11-14-2007, 09:05
Col. Moroney,
Great article sir. The mention of the Congress standing to view the memorials at Arlington is most profound request. I'm afraid they would only agree to that invitation provided there was sufficent media coverage in order to promote their personal agenda, mainly re-election.

Gypsy
11-14-2007, 12:27
Seems we have a distinguished writer on board, now if we could just urge him to write a book......;)

Your lips to God's ears. Or Colonel Moroney's... ;)

Sir, excellent column...I hope many will read this and that some will even "get it". I know I plan to share it...