PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a duty station

GTRich
11-10-2007, 18:43
I will commission as an Infantry 2LT in May. At the moment I am trying to figure out how I should list my duty stations, in order of preference. I would just like to throw the question out about where you (if you were a soon-to-commission Infantry LT) would go. And, are there any posts I should desperately try to avoid?

I am from the NW, so Lewis would be close to home, but other than that I have no real connection to any of the places, geographically speaking. Frankly, I'm just happy to be an Infantry officer! I'm picking the brain of my cadre and the soldiers that I know about all the posts that they have experienced, but opinions vary a great deal. I'm also single, so I don't have a family to worry about.

Offhand, I would say that Italy tops the list because it is...Italy. But the odds of getting it are fairly slim. If I had to choose tomorrow, I would list anything airborne, air assault, light, or stryker before anything heavy, but that still leaves a lot of room for how to arrange the choices.

I know this is an incredibly broad question, but any input is greatly appreciated, especially from former (or current) Infantrymen. Thanks

Geo
11-10-2007, 18:47
Vicenza, Italy great place. Served 94-96. Of course that was peacetime. You will have the opportunity to see and do all kinds of neat stuff. Both the unit 325th ABCT and the time off were outstanding. Again, that was ten years ago.:(:(

Jack Moroney (RIP)
11-10-2007, 20:11
You should be looking at the units in which you would like to serve before you look at the duty station. Duty station is a bonus if it also has a unit that will provide you with the challenges you will need to face and develop your skill sets as a young Infantry officer.