PDA

View Full Version : Tomb of the Unknown Soldier

JMI
11-09-2007, 08:40
My 11 year old nephew is a member of the Young Marines (YM.) I am so freaking stoked for this kid and I cannot wait to call him today. Awesome!

I received the following e-mail from my brother this morning:

Anthony and three others have been choosen to place the wreath at the tomb of the unknown soldier at Arlington Cemetary on there trip next week. There are only 17 out of the 42 YM that have been choosen to go on this trip. Nice.

I just wanted to let you know that your Young Marine has been selected as one of the 4 that will be laying our wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier on Friday Nov 16 immediately following the 1100 changing of the guard. This is quite and honor and something they should be very proud of. This is an incredible opportunity that will be well documented by the staff (lots of pictures and video taped as well). Please stress to your Young Marine that their uniform must look better than ever. Once they think it is perfect, make it even better. Those that went last year will remember the Boy Scouts that we saw and how unsquared away they looked. Let's show everyone how it is supposed to be done!

If you have any questions regarding this, please let me know.

--
Semper Fi,

Paul Cimino
Executive Officer
Greater Lake County Young Marines
216-272-6067

"Strengthening the Lives of America's Youth"

bluebb
11-09-2007, 12:37
That is a true honor. I was able to visit the Tomb of the Uknowns this summer for the first time and it was an incredible experiance.

Blue

Goggles Pizano
11-09-2007, 12:44
Outstanding! Way to go future Marine!

MAB32
11-09-2007, 16:01
Another "OUTSTANDING" from a guy that worked with the Young Marines on three different occassions during our Living History events. I use to see this kind of discipline in Boy Scouts in the 70's but it is bass ackwards now. I mean thes kids were so darn respectful that was just a pleasure to have them working for us. We really went out of our way to let these Young Marines touch everything in our weapons van, all of the Living Historians let them touch the mortars, machine guns, rifles, etc., etc. I even held a course for them on hand grenade throwing which their only comment to me was that they only wished they were live grenades. Great thing about them too was the fact they loved it all. They carried canteens on their web belts and when you asked them if they need some more water or a protein snack they would say very sharply "No Sir, we have more back at our camp, but thank you anyways Sir." One last thing that impressed us was where they slept. They slept in GI Tents from the 1960's with no ground cloth in 1949 sleeping bags on closed cell pads (date unknown). Sorry for going on and on with this but 100's of people, re-enactors and the public cannot be wrong when it came to these well disciplined young Marines.

JMI, please tell your Nephew this also from me in Ohio. They are the greatest in my opinion.

Now we went with the Boy Scouts this year and made the mistake of allowing them the use of the golf carts after a short but very stern instructional presentation. Our rewards: 1) old lady (should be fine by now), 2) older gentleman who was with the 101st in Bastogne screaming "Airborne" while going down the road at a very high rate of speed (he wanted to hire the kid as his personal driver for his vintage jeep), 3) Two ducks and one Gull (may they rest in that clear blue sky away from these cold murder's), and finally... 4) one cat that I swear had a camo pattren similar to a Russian Spetsnaz Airborne trooper (I hate cats but unfortunately comrade got away apparently unharmed).:rolleyes:

Not good for business especially when one tells me he needed $5 before he could give me a ride! The things you see and hear when you don't have real hand grenade.;)

Gypsy
11-09-2007, 19:05
That is a true honor. I was able to visit the Tomb of the Uknowns this summer for the first time and it was an incredible experiance.

Blue

I went many years ago...truly an amazing experience, especially watching the changing of the Guards.

Quite an honor for your nephew, C!