PDA

View Full Version : Identify these Randalls, please.

ODA572
11-02-2007, 09:08
I hate to have to admit it though, but my degree in Randall-alogy is pretty much limited to the "military models" lke the Model 14 Attack and my Model 15 Airman. I guess since I am now a civilian, I must be thinking like one and picked up these two fine additions to the collection. My problem is that I really am not sure of the specific model number of these.

So please take a look my honored Knife - Gods and bestow upon me the full extent of your knowlege. In other words, what are these?

Kurt

Bill Harsey
11-02-2007, 09:31
So please take a look my honored Knife - Gods and bestow upon me the full extent of your knowlege. In other words, what are these?

Kurt

old knives.

CPTAUSRET
11-02-2007, 09:37
old knives.

Bill:

Could you possibly be a little more concise?

Bill Harsey
11-02-2007, 09:39
ODA572,
Your going to have to give us the blade lengths and date of manufacture as Randall knives have many subtle variations, all with different names.

I could guess and be pretty close but that would take the fun away.

ODA572
11-02-2007, 09:45
Holy cow Bill, what did I start? This is not a trick question by any means. I honestly don't know what model these are. It'll be several hours till I can post the actual length, etc. But I will get that together to improve the collective accuracy of this forum.

Thanks,

Kurt

Bill Harsey
11-02-2007, 09:57
Kurt,
You didn't start anything, I forgot to put a smiley face after the "old knives" thing.
The reason I said "old knives" is that Randalls have stayed true to their designs since World War Two with a long carefull evolution to present.

It's kind of hard for me to tell some of the models apart.

That said I will make a guess, the small one is a Randall "Trout and Bird" and the other is a Randall "Pathfinder".

Maybe I can get Gary Randall to come in here and straighten us out.

CPTAUSRET
11-02-2007, 10:00
"Maybe I can get Gary Randall to come in here and straighten us out."

That would be cool!

NousDefionsDoc
11-02-2007, 10:01
I'll SWAG

Top is a model 23 Gamemaster

Bottom is a model 27 Trailblazer

Both with rosewood? handles?

Bill Harsey
11-02-2007, 10:07
The Randalls with the lift points tended to be the "hunters and skinners".

My first guess is probably wide of the mark.

Bill Harsey
11-02-2007, 10:11
I'll SWAG

Top is a model 23 Gamemaster

Bottom is a model 27 Trailblazer

Both with rosewood? handles?

It was the handles with brass detail that had me thinking these could be of older manufacture.

Snaquebite
11-02-2007, 10:51
I'm thinking ...
Model 26 Pathfinder
Model 7 Fisherman/Hunterr

But I'm with NDD on the handles :confused:

Jack Moroney (RIP)
11-02-2007, 11:48
I've carried my trailblazer for 47 years but it has leather, not rosewood, handles. To my simple way of thinking about things, having rosewood handles on a field knife is akin to having pearl handles on a M-1911.:D

Trip_Wire (RIP)
11-02-2007, 18:57
Here's a website for Randall.:

http://www.randallknives.com/

ODA572
11-05-2007, 06:33
After reviewing the Randall catalogue and coming up empty handed I decided to look at the "uncatalogued models". In my own humble opinion I think what I have here are a pair of "Denmark Specials". 3/16" thick blades. The blade contour is dead on to a Denmark Special. The sheaths seem incorrect for a "Special" but who's to say when you are ordering ala carte.
Any second opinions on my diagnosis? I appreciate the responses.

Kurt

Bill Harsey
11-08-2007, 09:48
Kurt,
I made a call to the Randall shop yesterday, we may get someone over here to help.
Bill

ODA572
11-09-2007, 11:39
Thanks for the foot work, Bill. I found a "Denmark Special" on Ebay and other than the handle material, it was a twin to the smaller of these two knives. As I understand it, "Denmark" was a knife dealer who, I guess, ordered the initial run of this style. O-F it was called. It just might take someone from the Randall Shop to make the call on this one.

Thanks again.

Dirtywater
11-09-2007, 22:29
Mr. Harsey,

Thank you for the invite. I am the Randall shop supervisor and am here to help if possible, and to meet new friends.

The models in question are: the smaller one is a GTR, and the other appears to be either a 7-4 1/2 or a 7-5 with a model 6 grind. Both with brass spacers and ironwood handles.

However, I do not believe the sheaths are correct with these knives. These are much more current models in older sheaths.

Looking forward to helping in any way I can.

---DW---

The Reaper
11-09-2007, 22:32
Mr. Harsey,

Thank you for the invite. I am the Randall shop supervisor and am here to help if possible, and to meet new friends.

The models in question are: the smaller one is a GTR, and the other appears to be either a 7-4 1/2 or a 7-5 with a model 6 grind. Both with brass spacers and ironwood handles.

However, I do not believe the sheaths are correct with these knives. These are much more current models in older sheaths.

Looking forward to helping in any way I can.

---DW---

DW:

Thank you very much for the input and for Randall's service to SF over the years.

Best of luck.

TR

Bill Harsey
11-10-2007, 10:22
Dirtywater,
Welcome aboard and thank you very much for being here.
If you need any help, do not hesitate to advise.

Again, great to have you here.
Bill