PDA

View Full Version : Laptop sleeve

vsvo
10-30-2007, 22:19
I’ve been using this case from CasePC (www.case-pc.com) since the summer and like it a lot. I had been using a Booq Vyper for the last year or so, but was not really happy with it. The Vyper looks stylish and cool, but it’s nothing more than a semi-rigid shell. I checked out a co-worker’s Sumdex sleeve. It was nicely padded, but bulky. It also had a handle, which I did not want. I did some research and some folks recommended the CasePC. I checked out the website, and looked at the sizing chart for my laptop. I ordered an Extra Small with free shipping and received it two days later, coast-to-coast.

My IBM Thinkpad X40 with the extended-life 8-cell battery fits snugly in the case. This larger battery sticks out a little bit but the laptop still fits, so it looks like the sizing chart is generous, at least for my laptop. The interior seams are taped with nylon, and the padding feels thick and substantial. Access is via a simple flap opening with hook-and-loop closure. I don’t use the mesh pocket on the side, but my power adapter and cord fit fine. The case is sleek, but still feels robust. I throw the sleeve in my Eagle A-III (with ATS frame sheet) with my casebooks and statutes and feel that the laptop is well-protected.

vsvo
10-30-2007, 22:21
Here are some pics of the CasePC next to the Vyper.

Ret10Echo
10-31-2007, 04:50
I went with a neoprene "always on" design from Shoreline for my Gateway. Handy because you don't have to remove the laptop from the case and it is somewhat water resistant (zippers being considered). Padding seemed adequate, I had it in a standard day-pack, not a computer backpack.

Downside was that accessing ports was a bit difficult. There is an access panel in the back but the USB and PCMCIA ports were on the sides, so that didn't make much sense.

Razor
10-31-2007, 14:07
vsvo, are you using the Multicam cloth for a project?

vsvo
10-31-2007, 15:16
Razor, not at the moment. One of my brothers-in-law is a tailor and I had thought about asking him to make me some pouches, since I couldn't find exactly what I wanted at the time. So when I ordered some t-shirts from Crye I added some cloth as well. They didn't have 1000D available then, just 330D, which seems plenty tough enough for my civvie use. Anyway, my brother-in-law developed other business interests and stopped sewing, so now his heavy-assed sewing machines just sit and gather dust in his basement.

On the plus side, I now have some updated fabric to use as background in my pics.:D

dmgedgoods
10-31-2007, 18:48
I used a case for my laptop and printer made by Dicota. You could work out the case directly, which was perfect. I hate loading and unloading. Pricey, but nice. Made life way easier. I sold it and went the way of Ret10Echo. I have been searching for a patterned case in ACU or Multicam...anything really. Most of the products out there are pretty blah, and are not nearly as tough as they are advertised. 1000d fabric case would be nice, with the water resistance and all.

Shawn