PDA

View Full Version : Posers and Football

JMI
10-28-2007, 15:43
So I am at the Browns Bar watching CLE vs STL, and this guy next to me is a diehard Browns fan. We''re having fun. He is not drunk off his ass, can articulate what he sees, has a hottie next to him. So I say why not.

What is your name, where you from, why a Browns fan, etc....?

He offers "When I was in the Army."

ding...ding...ding...

Me: "Thank you for your service (shake hand as always) What Service were you in."

Him: Special Forces (now, I learned a few years ago not to immediately question people - you just never know. But Okay, I admit the radar went up.)

Me: "No Kidding. Wow. Again, (shakes hand) thank you for your service."

sip beer, watch Browns get 1st down.....

Me: "So what group were you in?'
Him: "17th and 20th."

:::wtf- 20th sounds right......:::

Me: "So you were in the NG with SF?"
Him: "Uh, yep."

:::okay, no Effing way this guy is SF....NO WAY......17th...have I lost it....was there a 17th?......careful idiiot, he may be SF....lets not be an ass over stuff you know nothing about.....::sip beer:: think stupid, maybe your gaydar is off.....ease into this...::::

So after a few sips and plays on Browns offense, I ask

Me: "Hey I was wondering, I read a lot but I forgot, who is the father of SF (Bank)
Him: "Dunno."
Me: "Really? I thought every SF soldier knew that?
Him: "Hmm....Let me think."
ME: "I am sorry. maybe I was wrong. Hey, do you know who COL Aaron Bank is?
Him: "No. Who is he? When was he in? Ever heard of Steven (forget the guys fake name lame attempt)"
Me: "Ever hear of Nasty Nick????
Him: "No."
Me: "So when were you in the Q course?"
Him: "80's."
Me: "And you never heard of Nasty Nick?"

(could be, I am not sure when Nasty Nick was eastablished, so I could be pestering a former SF guy rather than a poser. Who knows, I read books, come to this site, but I don't read everything.....WHAT I DO KNOW is I have met 2 verified SF soldiers in my life,, and 3 posers. He is on the list to make it 4)

Him: : "No never hard of it. Was Nick in when I was in?"
Me: "Man, I must be dumb. I am sorry I know a guy who was SF and I thought everyone knew what he knew. So what part of the globe does 17th cover."
Him: "United States. Some Korea, been to VN, some other stuff."

Me: (okay....WTF???) "So you met Dick Meadows when you were in?"
Him: "No. I was in early 80's. He might have been a bit earlier" (no, ya think idiot.)
Me: "You never heard of Dick Meadows????? Are you serious????
Him: "When was he in?"
Me: "When was he f'ing in??? Are you out of your mind?
Him: ""Who was he again?"
Me: "Dude (I know by now I can call this idiot dude) are you telling me you have NO idea who Aaron Bank, Nick Rowe or Dick Meadows are?? Are you seriously going to tell me you're a f'ing former SF soldier? Are you going to sit here and tell me you have NO idea who Nick Rowe was?"

(at this time I go on about who Bank, Rowe and Meadows were and why "every" SF soldier knows EXACTLY who they are. And I am pissed now because he is a Browns fan, we're driving down the field, MY QB and WR and RB are cutting up the D and I cannot watch because this idiot is telling me he is SF. My mind has shifted, so to speak, because now I cannot enjoy the game)

Absolute silence. His hottie wants to know what is going on at this point. "Nothing," he says. "yeah, nothing," I say.

So I have to get back to the game. But I say:

"Dude, if you served, thank you. I mean that. But you better be careful about telling people you're former SF. Not because you'll get your ass kicked but because great Men have died, Men have lived, Man have won the MOH...ect...... all wearing the Green Beret of Special Forces. You're an idiot and a fraud. I know it and you know it. Lets watch the game "

I basically cut it short. He is not worth it, but somehow I wish I had at the least exposed him to the entire bar. But then what? These people don't know? They'll think I am a lunatic. So I let him know there are people like me that KNOW a lot about Special Forces, and more about people like him. And since I am not in SF, or have close friends that are SF, at least he knows this BS is not that easy to sling.

F'king posers. I hate 'em. I know I'm a civilian, never served, but this shit pisses me off. Badly. I am sitting here typing wishing I would have said a few more words. After they game he paid his tab and left. Quickly. I feel I did the right thing because who knows, maybe I was wrong.

But I wasn't. And he knows it as well as I do