PDA

View Full Version : California Fires

Aequitas
10-22-2007, 16:25
I just wanted to send out my thoughts and prays to all involved in the fires sweeping across the state of California. Things took a real eye opening turn this morning when I received a call from my parents letting me know our house was destroyed in the fire just minutes after they were awoken by neighbors and removed from the house.

I hope anyone that has family in California...specifically the southern region....has contacted them and things are safe and sound. It's much more important to me to have my parents then to lose a lifetime of pictures, movies, clothes, furniture etc...

Best wishes to all...

C

mumbleypeg
10-22-2007, 16:31
Sorry to hear about the house. My Mom's house has been threatened all afternoon. She was evacuated this morning.

I woke up at 5am this morning because the smell of smoke was so strong. I'm about 15 miles from the closest fire.

Smoke is very heavy all through San Diego. People are very edgy.

I'm staying in touch with other relatives spread out through the fire zone. I could have a bunch of house guess this evening.

The Reaper
10-22-2007, 16:52
Aequitas:

Sorry for your family's loss.

I hope that they recover quickly.

TR

Pete
10-22-2007, 17:26
Sorry about the loss A. Good to hear the family is safe.

For those who have never seen a CA wild fire the news and TV do not do them justice.

We had two teams in the field just north/west of San Luis Obispo one year. I think it was Frank A's team that reported a small ground fire in the distance. Because of the winds both teams were pulled from the hills and within a very short time the whole hillside for miles was on fire. To see how high the flames shot up over the tops of the hills was breathtaking.

Gypsy
10-22-2007, 18:29
Aequitas, so sorry to hear of the loss of your family home...thank God your folks got out okay.

Thoughts out to all in the line of fire, stay safe.

CoLawman
10-22-2007, 21:29
Aequitas good to hear your family made it out okay. I am sure the loss of your/their home is very trying. It seems like a large number of Californians are suffering the same fate.

echoes
10-23-2007, 00:12
Aequitas,

So glad that your parents are okay. Our prayers are out for all of you in harms way. Be safe!

Holly

Jack Moroney (RIP)
10-23-2007, 04:55
Aequitas sorry to hear about the loss but glad about your folks getting out in time. Tough situation out there.

dennisw
10-23-2007, 07:26
Aequitas:

Sorry for your family's loss.

Each year when the Santa Ana winds blow there are always fires because some sick bastards start them. Never fails. I think if they burned the sons of bitches alive when they catch them, others would be a little less inclined to start fires. You know, give them a little taste of their own medicine.

Bill Harsey
10-23-2007, 07:53
Aequitas,
Good news your parents are ok. Hard stuff about the house. As already stated, hope they recover fast from the loss.

Mumbleypeg, been wondering how your doing. Stay safe damnit.

echoes
10-23-2007, 11:44
Have been working on getting through to some near and dear in the area...still can't. Anyone else having this problem?

It seems it is growing larger, and god bless those fire-fighters.

Holly

HOLLiS
10-23-2007, 11:59
My sentiments are the same as the previously stated. I wish the best and Stay Safe....................

JMI
10-23-2007, 12:23
I am very glad your parent came out okay. Fast thinking neighbors your parents have.

Ret10Echo
10-23-2007, 13:59
Have been working on getting through to some near and dear in the area...still can't. Anyone else having this problem?

It seems it is growing larger, and god bless those fire-fighters.

Holly

Network overloads are common in cases such as this, but often on inbound circuits only as many try to call into the area. Additionally there are some automated notificatoin systems that operate within the area that will increase the demand and cause what would ammount to a network "overload" if only for a short while.

Remain patient. If you have a way to route through an IP to set up a contact time then do that first and have them call out to you.

If you have any local HAMS nearby that is another means of getting inside the area.

Best to you getting through....

clapdoc
10-23-2007, 17:02
Aequitas,

I am so glad your parents are ok. The house can be replaced and the memories live on in your heart.

smp52
10-23-2007, 22:54
Good luck to your loved ones on the recovery process. The main thing is they are ok. I'm here in Carlsbad, which is one of the communities that has not been affected by the fire, although the smoke in some places has resulted in voluntary evacuations.

I work on Naval Weapons Station, Fallbrook. Several of my co-workers live up and down the 15 and many in Fallbrook itself. I've talked to few of my team members and a couple have had to evacuate. It's a tough situation - mother nature does what it wants and when it's all over, all that matters is our loved ones are safe.