PDA

View Full Version : Polymer coated steel case Russian ammo

yasnevo
10-19-2007, 15:17
The new line of ammo from Wolf from a couple of years ago was the polymer covered steel case. Many in the shooting industry, both here and in Russia felt that it could be the wave of the future when it comes to how to finish the steel case and get away from the tradional lacquer covered steel case.

During several classes that I have both taught at, and been in as a student, people have used this ammo. There is enough polymer residue on the steel case itself, and polymer itself is easier to melt than what the tradional lacquer will melt, that when shooting, the polymer steel case will get stuck in the chamber and a rigid cleaning rod will have to be used to literally beat the stuck case out of the chamber.

I've seen it happen enough times where the polymer covered cases will get stuck but the traditional Lacquer ones will not.

This has really been the case with folks using AR15's in classes... perhaps its the tighter tollerances they exhibit.

One student had one of the Piston POF uppers in class a little over a year ago... he had so many problems with polymer cases getting stuck, he used another AR that he had in the class and later sold the POF upper.

Again, not trying to sway public opinion one way or another, just reporting what I have seen in training circles over the last few years. Your mileage may vary.

Y-

Razor
10-19-2007, 22:02
Good to know; thanks for the report.

yasnevo
10-19-2007, 22:18
Happy to contribute what little I know...

tinmanHRSO
06-15-2008, 03:18
Did the same thing in one of my ARs really bad. Not to mention it would keyhole targets ever 1 of 3 rounds at just 25 yds! I thought I had a headspace problem, but changing ammo cleared it up.

I've also noticed on several other ARs that have had these steel cases shot through them a large amount of scarring inside the upper recievers and especially near the ejection port.

I finally summized that even with the coated cases, when malfunctions do happen such as double feeds, stovepipes, extraction failures, the process of clearing the rifle can put deep scars to the aluminum because the cases are harder material than the aluminum receiver.