PDA

View Full Version : LWRC SOC and kit

borebrush
10-13-2007, 13:30
We'll here it is....

LWRC M6A1 SOC-
RRA Lower
XS 24/7 Same Plane Rear/Tritium Stripe Front
VTAC sling w/ Emerson Lanyard (works awesome too)

This is a fine weapon. It incorporates every tactile function inherent to an AR/M4/M16. It took no re-familiarization for me to be able to pick it up and use it. The major difference is a noticeably tamer recoil impulse which is directed linearly straight into your shoulder. This makes accurate follow up shots more reliable. Field stripping is the same for maintainence, thats if you choose to clean it like you should (bolt bore and chamber). The "no lube" ethos has held with this weapon. Not a single drop has ever been applied and I know because it was assembled and headspaced in front of me, and I've been the only one to use it to my knowledge. Holding the bolt carrier assembly, it feels slick. Thats the Teflon nickel coating. The chamfered boss at the rear of the carrier aligns it as it cycles, preventing carrier rock. That means it only moves two directions, in straight a path as possible. Smooth, dead smooth. Accurate? Well with this rigid platform, the only variance to negate its inherent accuracy is ammo, shooting position, trigger control, and sight picture with correct hold. It will at least match, if not out shoot an M4 over a longer duration of use with higher shot count. Now for the big plus, when the Warrior hits an operational pause, or gets back to the FOB, he has less maintainence to perform. This is not a writ to abuse or neglect your weapon, i.e. your life! A proper once over to insure you don't have a potential problem brewing (a loose primer in the FCG, bore obstruction, fouling in the firing pin orifice). Meaning more time to debrief, shower, shave, eat, and sleep. You can't buy a 25th hour, so why spend 30 minutes scrubbing and soaking when you might have to "Stand Too" when you finally get to shut your eyes for a combat nap?

-stronger, more reliable extraction/ejection/feeding.
-less felt recoil
-longer service life of parts
-80% parts commonality
-improved harmonics
-less maintainence
-self-regulating
-better suited for precision applications, SBR work, and suppressor use.

Windowed PMAG with 30rds of Hornady 55gr TAP

SA 1911- the works... I built this for my best friend. XS BigDot express sights.

Dog- Sirius, boxer/Shepard/lazy

HSGI Warlord V4- MultiCam, w/ Admin pouch used as an armorers kit (it rocks, I am working with my HSGI dealer on setting a few up for resale) Why do I run this? Because I am a grunt first (in mindset), but by profession I am a trained gunsmith and armorer. To me, it would suck to be nearby when a weapon goes down, and to not have the basic tools on me to get the gun back into the fight. ***note, I hate the thick padded shoulder straps. They are bulky and the multiple buckles are right in the shooting pocket. BAD. My fix? As you'll see I took the HSGI pads that are for the thin straps, and reversed them. Putting them neoprene side out, then broke the black up with some rattle can and pine needles. This is how I ran the entire course, and it worked FANTASTIC. Comfortable, and rocksteady. It does shorten the LOP but, that is notional at best with an adjustable stock. Now I have the comfort of the thick straps, with a more steady shooting pocket.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i258/borebrush/Kit-1.gif

Sirius Inspection
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i258/borebrush/SiriusKit.gif

Sirius Approval
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i258/borebrush/SiriusKit2.gif

Piston and Armorers kit.
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i258/borebrush/pistonarmorer.gif

Piston and good stuff in the mag. This is the same gun after firing 1200 rds through it at Anvil Rock. It's never been cleaned, which understandably sounds horribly wrong.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i258/borebrush/PistonTAP.gif

Here's the bolt. It hasn't ever been cleaned or lubed. No related failure's in +/-1200rds.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i258/borebrush/Boltside.gif

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i258/borebrush/Boltoblique.gif

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i258/borebrush/boltfront.gif

Now here is the reason for what few failures I had. I was running three Brownell's USGI mags (green followers) and 3 PMAGs. I was shooting PRVI Partizan 55gr, which isn't horrible ammo. All my failures were feed related early on (a couple notional user errors where I didn't fully seat the rounds rearward excluded). The Brownell's functioned fine 90% of the time, but by the morning of day three I noticed why I had problems earlier. The front lip of the mag is high compared to the PMAG. The neck of the rounds were catching this lip and over the use the binding ceased as they wore their own "feed lips" into that wall of the mag. Thats a non-starter for me from now on. If I were to ever use these mags again I'll be relieving that front edge with a Dremel first. But I don't like needless work, when I have a cheaper, more reliable option in PMAGs. Again, the mags were new and all were dragging rounds as they fed.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i258/borebrush/mags1.gif

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i258/borebrush/mags2.gif

If you'll notice the mags on the left of the picture, you'll see something subtle, yet BAD. At Gunsite, my entire kit was backed over by a Surefire Instructors Suburban. At the time I only noticed one thing that didn't survive and that was a plastic bottle of Hoppes Elite in my Armorer Kit. Later I noticed that two of the Brownell's Mags and one of the PMAG covers didn't fair so well. (note* the digital camera that took these pictures was backed over at the same time.)

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i258/borebrush/mags3.gif

I'll be the first to admit that I suck at a lot of things. I'm sure that there are many more capable shooters and writers out there. Is my set up the best? Doesn't matter. It works for me, and got it right the first time somehow. (conducting all those fireteam inspections kinda sticks) As my man Rob and I like to say "Either you are Squared away or you aren't". So far my kit works, I tweaked what needed it. The braided lanyard is a huge improvement for finding and actuating that release on the VTAC, btw. Having taken the time to get to know the guys at Land Warfare Resource Company, and familiarize myself with their platforms, I can say whole heartedly that they are "Squared Away". NONE of the rumors and hype surrounding the PLW debacle hold true with the LWRC of today. They are outstanding people, good friends, and they produce weapons fit for Pvt. Schmuckatelli in deployments around the world.

*this has been an official Borebrush write up. ****no animals were harmed in the production of this****

The Reaper
10-13-2007, 14:08
BB:

Interesting write-up.

1. This is a family board. Please reserve the use of the F word until no other word will suffice.

2. If you look at the posting menu, you will see that you can post pics directly here, and not have to worry about your hosting service dropping them, or your account closing.

3. I am not a fan of running dry guns, regardless of how they work. Metal on metal without lube is wearing something out early. You go without cleaning long enough, it will eventually stop running. Might be 12,000 rounds, or might be 1,201.

4. Please leave the promotion of your company to someone who is not working there. At least clear it with an admin first.

5. I have never had a problem with a GI mag (green follower and good spring) that was in good shape feeding GI ammo. OTOH, I do not normally use mags that have been crushed or in any way deformed. Having said that, clearly, the range is the proper place to discover what runs and what does not, rather than in combat. The predecessors of the PMAG had a nasty habit of running fine at first, and progressively getting more unreliable as the spring tension on the rounds caused the body and feed lips to spread. I have a PMAG that I am testing right now, but till I have run a few thousand rounds through several of them, I will not be carrying them for serious work. Not sure how "GI" the Brownell's are, or why you had problems with them, could be the TAP as well.

6. Sorry that Mr. Murphy ran over your gear.

Good info in there, thanks for posting.

TR

borebrush
10-13-2007, 17:51
Interesting write-up.

1. This is a family board. Please reserve the use of the F word until no other word will suffice. Sorry bout that...[B]

2. If you look at the posting menu, you will see that you can post pics directly here, and not have to worry about your hosting service dropping them, or your account closing. [B]that was simple coding, I'll fix that in a bit.

3. I am not a fan of running dry guns, regardless of how they work. Metal on metal without lube is wearing something out early. You go without cleaning long enough, it will eventually stop running. Might be 12,000 rounds, or might be 1,201. I'm not a fan either. But on these guns, the way they are set up they can. I ran it they way they run their personals and it worked fine. However I did say "This is not a writ to abuse or neglect your weapon, your life! A proper once over to insure you don't have a potential problem brewing (a loose primer in the FCG, bore obstruction, fouling in the firing pin orifice). Meaning more time to s***, shower, shave, eat, and sleep. You can't buy a 25th hour, so why spend 30 minutes scrubbing and soaking when you might have to "Stand Too" when you finally get to shut your eyes for a combat nap?"

4. Please leave the promotion of your company to someone who is not working there. At least clear it with an admin first. My Bad.

5. I have never had a problem with a GI mag (green follower and good spring) that was in good shape feeding GI ammo. OTOH, I do not normally use mags that have been crushed or in any way deformed. Having said that, clearly, the range is the proper place to discover what runs and what does not, rather than in combat. The predecessors of the PMAG had a nasty habit of running fine at first, and progressively getting more unreliable as the spring tension on the rounds caused the body and feed lips to spread. I have a PMAG that I am testing right now, but till I have run a few thousand rounds through several of them, I will not be carrying them for serious work. Not sure how "GI" the Brownell's are, or why you had problems with them, could be the TAP as well.
The mags were screwing up new, I've haven't run them since he ran over them. My point in including the mags were that they were the only source of failures and why, also showing how a USGI compares to a PMAG, and other gear when run over by a Suburban. I put TAP in them for the pictures, because thats what I had on hand. The failures were with PRVI PARTIZEN 55gr.

6. Sorry that Mr. Murphy ran over your gear. Could have been worse. Thanks though. Losing a bottle of Hoppe's, two crappy mags, and a PMAG cover... well I got off easy.

Good info in there, thanks for posting.
Thanks and you are welcome. I have to get to my other job, like now... When I get in tonight I'll fix this post. Wasn't my intent to proselytize your board. (I posted it here mostly because LWs and mobile M4 armorers kits have been discussed recently)
TR

82ndtrooper
10-13-2007, 19:29
Thanks for the write up.

Personally I'm putting off the purchase of a gas piston driven upper, at least for the moment since I've recently purchased yet another NFA weapon and LMT MRP upper for that particular weapon. With extra optics, BUIS's, and other tricks of the trade.

I was waiting for LMT to introduce their gas piston upper first. It was supposed to be on their site as of this past August, but I've not seen it yet.

Thanks for the write up.

kgoerz
10-14-2007, 00:53
Here's the bolt. It hasn't ever been cleaned or lubed. No related failure's in +/-1200rds.

I'm impressed. I knew it ran cleaner but the Bolt face looking like that after 1200 rounds is a big difference. Especially when I picture my Bolt after a couple of hundred rounds.
The problem will be Joe Snuffy thinking the Army issued him a maintenance free Weapon " Saaarg, Put the Q-Tips away, the directions say no cleaning necessary"

to be nearby when a weapon goes down, and to not have the basic tools on me to get the gun back into the fight

Can you give us a list of what you carry for the most common AR problems?

6. Sorry that Mr. Murphy ran over your gear.

Sir, I was just about to ask. Unfortunately I have seen this type of accident a few times. If you ever witness this, you will never place you Equipment on the Ground again.

borebrush
10-14-2007, 03:40
I'm impressed. I knew it ran cleaner but the Bolt face looking like that after 1200 rounds is a big difference. Especially when I picture my Bolt after a couple of hundred rounds.
The problem will be Joe Snuffy thinking the Army issued him a maintenance free Weapon " Saaarg, Put the Q-Tips away, the directions say no cleaning necessary"
I totally agree. Any of the guys from LWRC will tell you, no extensive cleaning necessary. Personally I believe you should keep your weapons as close to 100% as possible. Part of showing up with your A game is having a well used, yet well maintained weapon. As much as I hate cleaning guns, I know that it will be less of a beating to get this one PM'd.

Can you give us a list of what you carry for the most common AR problems?
I carry punches, brass, steel, and delrin. Needle nose pliers. Hex wrenches. Stock wrench, Staking punch (for the castle nut... or windows I suppose) You cant stake the key on this bolt, its too hard. I also carry some cleaning gear, lube, solvent (that got cashed by the Suburban) spring kit, *will be adding a spare bolt. Screw driver, brass hammer. l'll be prepping a list soon and will pass that on to you if you like. Like I said, I've had several people ask me to set them up kits recently. To sum it up, whatever I might be able to use in a pinch to provide a quick fix to get the gun up. If its a major issue, it shouldn't be forced back into service without going to the bench for maintainence.

Sir, I was just about to ask. Unfortunately I have seen this type of accident a few times. If you ever witness this, you will never place you Equipment on the Ground again.
...it just happened so quick. It was so unbelievable, everyone was in shock. I couldn't help but laugh. I mean I have been tweaking the kit and evaluating what I'm carrying and how... couldn't have brought myself to do another PMAG vs CHEVY test willingly.

borebrush
10-14-2007, 03:45
Thanks for the write up.

Personally I'm putting off the purchase of a gas piston driven upper, at least for the moment since I've recently purchased yet another NFA weapon and LMT MRP upper for that particular weapon. With extra optics, BUIS's, and other tricks of the trade.

I was waiting for LMT to introduce their gas piston upper first. It was supposed to be on their site as of this past August, but I've not seen it yet.

Thanks for the write up.

You're welcome. Take your time, no need to rush out and buy something if you aren't sure about it. I too, am looking forward to the LMT gun.