PDA

View Full Version : Tactical Knives Magazine Cover

Bill Harsey
10-13-2007, 10:30
Here is the cover of the January 2008 Tactical knives magazine cover, out on the stands now.

Knife is the Pacific for 1st SFGA as produced by Chris Reeve Knives. The final prototype by me is alongside the magazine. I never got my master pattern handles back after being sent off for digitizing.

On behalf of CRK and myself, a special thanks to John A. Larsen who is a former member of 1st SFGA and current QP here for writing the article. I couldn't think of anyone better to have done this.

So, thank you very much John.

HOLLiS
10-13-2007, 11:22
Bill, thank you for the post. Job well done.

Razor
10-13-2007, 12:11
Well deserved credit, as always.

The Reaper
10-13-2007, 12:37
Bill:

Outstanding effort, by you and Chris.

Congratulations!

TR

Trip_Wire (RIP)
10-13-2007, 17:06
Bill:

Outstanding effort, by you and Chris Reeves.

Congratulations!

Note: I am now the proud owner of 1st SFGA # 0161, Blade S30V 55-57RC. Handle Black Canvas Micarta. I just got mine delivered at the SFA 16 Chapter meeting today!

More info.:

http://www.chrisreeve.com/pacific.htm

What a beautiful knife Bill! I love it! I may have to sleep with it under my pillow tonight. :D:lifter

Team Sergeant
10-13-2007, 18:54
Well done Mr Harsey and Mr Reeves!;)

CoLawman
10-13-2007, 20:11
Congrats gentlemen!:lifter

Smokin Joe
10-14-2007, 06:13
Bill,

You and Chris just flat out make cool shit!

Congrats on another home run.

Roguish Lawyer
10-14-2007, 08:11
Congrats!

Gypsy
10-14-2007, 09:13
Very nice. Congrats to Mr. Harsey and Mr. Reeves!

Trip_Wire (RIP)
10-14-2007, 12:06
Bill, a question for you on the 1st Grp. knife.

The knife looks a lot like the Yarbourgh knife. I actually like the 1st Grp knife better than the Yarbourgh. The changes in the grip, 'glass breaker' on the butt and the small changes in the blade, etc. I was wondering if these small changes were made based on suggestions from SF soldiers in the field using the Yarbourgh?

As I said before I really like this 1st Grp. knife and I will really cherish it! :D

kgoerz
10-14-2007, 13:41
I was going to ask the same thing. It looks like the Handle is made of material similar to Cork, obviously stronger. Never seen it before on a Knife, looks great thou.

vsvo
10-16-2007, 11:27
Congrats Mr. Harsey and Mr. Reeve!

BrianH
10-16-2007, 13:16
I was going to ask the same thing. It looks like the Handle is made of material similar to Cork, obviously stronger. Never seen it before on a Knife, looks great thou.
The handle material is Micarta, the same stuff used in the Yarborough.

Awesome stuff, especially when wet.

Bill Harsey
10-16-2007, 13:26
Bill, a question for you on the 1st Grp. knife.

The knife looks a lot like the Yarbourgh knife. I actually like the 1st Grp knife better than the Yarbourgh. The changes in the grip, 'glass breaker' on the butt and the small changes in the blade, etc. I was wondering if these small changes were made based on suggestions from SF soldiers in the field using the Yarbourgh?

As I said before I really like this 1st Grp. knife and I will really cherish it! :D

Trip Wire,
Thanks for the kind words, everybody else too.

There was a long meeting with 1st SFGA members and myself. They had quite a bit of input and some small changes were made based on said input to one of the "not before seen" prototypes I'd brought there.

The most important thing the Yarborough knife did was give 1st SFGA a track record of our work doing ok in the field.

The Yarborough was put into production very fast (ok, under near emergency speed from approval of first article to completion of the first run delivered to Ft. Bragg) There was never time to consider any changes even if we had thought of them then.

These are two different knives from a design point of view but are both based on materials, construction and utility function a soldier can use.

Here is a pic of the first batch of Pacifics being finished on my bench just prior to being sent out for testing and evaluation by 1st SFGA. I'd just finished hand shaping all the handles from canvas micarta.

Bill Harsey
10-16-2007, 13:28
The handle material is Micarta, the same stuff used in the Yarborough.

Awesome stuff, especially when wet.

Correct. Thank you.

PiterM
10-18-2007, 16:31
Job well done Bill! The cover looks great! Congrats :D

trailrunner
10-20-2007, 05:49
Very nice!

Congrats!

tom kelly
10-20-2007, 13:37
Congraulations to Bill Harsey and Chris Reeve for a job well done.I was so impressed with the 50th Anniversary 1st SFG(A) knife no.0102 I ordered a second knife from The First in Asia Fund...Regards,tom kelly

orko
10-22-2008, 19:28
oops! I didn't realize this thread was so old, mostly because I still see the pacific advertized in the new magazines.

wish there was a local brick and mortor store that carried a full line of CRK to check out in person

jdl141
10-27-2008, 20:08
Congrats Bill and Chris! Thanks again for doing all that you do and being a such first class gentleman. I received my "First in Asia" knife and could not be happier. Also thanks so much for providing pictures and the background story that goes into your knives Bill. I have learned a lot from your threads and really appreciate someone such as yourself taking the time to answer our questions and being part of our group.