PDA

View Full Version : Breaking New's! Knight's Templar not heretics.

Max_Tab
10-13-2007, 05:34
http://news.aol.com/story/ar/_a/vatican-prints-secrets-of-knights/20071012152309990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

Vatican Prints Secrets of Knights Templar
By Philip Pullella,Reuters
Posted: 2007-10-13 00:08:04
Filed Under: World News
VATICAN CITY (Oct. 12) - The Knights Templar, the medieval Christian military order accused of heresy and sexual misconduct, will soon be partly rehabilitated when the Vatican publishes trial documents it had closely guarded for 700 years.

A reproduction of the minutes of trials against the Templars, "'Processus Contra Templarios -- Papal Inquiry into the Trial of the Templars"' is a massive work and much more than a book -- with a $8,333 price tag.

"This is a milestone because it is the first time that these documents are being released by the Vatican, which gives a stamp of authority to the entire project," said Professor Barbara Frale, a medievalist at the Vatican's Secret Archives.

"Nothing before this offered scholars original documents of the trials of the Templars," she told Reuters in a telephone interview ahead of the official presentation of the work on October 25.

The epic comes in a soft leather case that includes a large-format book including scholarly commentary, reproductions of original parchments in Latin, and -- to tantalize Templar buffs -- replicas of the wax seals used by 14th-century Inquisitors.

Reuters was given an advance preview of the work, of which only 799 numbered copies have been made.

One parchment measuring about half a meter wide by some two meters long is so detailed that it includes reproductions of stains and imperfections seen on the originals.

Pope Benedict will be given the first set of the work, published by the Vatican Secret Archives in collaboration with Italy's Scrinium cultural foundation, which acted as curator and will have exclusive world distribution rights.

The Templars, whose full name was "Poor Fellow-Soldiers of Christ and of the Temple of Solomon," were founded in 1119 by knights sworn to protecting Christian pilgrims visiting the Holy Land after the Crusaders captured Jerusalem in 1099.

They amassed enormous wealth and helped finance wars of some European monarchs. Legends of their hidden treasures, secret rituals and power have figured over the years in films and bestsellers such as "The Da Vinci Code."

The Knights have also been portrayed as guardians of the legendary Holy Grail, the cup used by Christ at the Last Supper before his crucifixion.

The Vatican expects most copies of the work to be bought up by specialized libraries at top universities and by leading medieval scholars.

Burned at the Stake

The Templars went into decline after Muslims re-conquered the Holy Land at the end of the 13th century and were accused of heresy by King Philip IV of France, their foremost persecutor. Their alleged offences included denying Christ and secretly worshipping idols.

The most titillating part of the documents is the so-called Chinon Parchment, which contains phrases in which Pope Clement V absolves the Templars of charges of heresy, which had been the backbone of King Philip's attempts to eliminate them.

Templars were burned at the stake for heresy by King Philip's agents after they made confessions that most historians believe were given under duress.

The parchment, also known as the Chinon Chart, was "misplaced" in the Vatican archives until 2001, when Frale stumbled across it.

"The parchment was catalogued incorrectly at some point in history. At first I couldn't believe my eyes. I was incredulous," she said.

"This was the document that a lot of historians were looking for," the 37-year-old scholar said.

Philip was heavily indebted to the Templars, who had helped him finance his wars, and getting rid of them was a convenient way of cancelling his debts, some historians say.

Frale said Pope Clement was convinced that while the Templars had committed some grave sins, they were not heretics.

Spitting on the Cross

Their initiation ceremony is believed to have included spitting on the cross, but Frale said they justified this as a ritual of obedience in preparation for possible capture by Muslims. They were also said to have practiced sodomy.

"Simply put, the pope recognized that they were not heretics but guilty of many other minor crimes -- such as abuses, violence and sinful acts within the order," she said. "But that is not the same as heresy."

Despite his conviction that the Templars were not guilty of heresy, in 1312 Pope Clement ordered the Templars disbanded for what Frale called "the good of the Church" following his repeated clashes with the French king.

Frale depicted the trials against the Templars between 1307 and 1312 as a battle of political wills between Clement and Philip, and said the document means Clement's position has to be reappraised by historians.

"This will allow anyone to see what is actually in documents like these and deflate legends that are in vogue these days," she said.

Rosi Fontana, who has helped the Vatican coordinate the project, said: "The most incredible thing is that 700 years have passed and people are still fascinated by all of this."

"The precise reproduction of the parchments will allow scholars to study them, touch them, admire them as if they were dealing with the real thing," Fontana said.

"But even better, it means the originals will not deteriorate as fast as they would if they were constantly being viewed," she said.

Copyright 2007 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.
2007-10-12 15:26:12

x-factor
10-13-2007, 08:43
I started to post this but wasn't sure if anyone else would care. I think this is pretty fascinating news. It confirms what medieval historians have thought for a while now, that the Templars were basically jacked for their wealth despite hundreds of years of incredible service to Christendom.

History's first special forces unit: exonerated.

LongWire
10-13-2007, 08:51
Thanks guys............

HOLLiS
10-13-2007, 09:46
I started to post this but wasn't sure if anyone else would care. I think this is pretty fascinating news. It confirms what medieval historians have thought for a while now, that the Templars were basically jacked for their wealth despite hundreds of years of incredible service to Christendom.

History's first special forces unit: exonerated.

That was my understanding too. Also they where not players for the king, meaning they held a higher standard.

Peregrino
10-13-2007, 10:06
X-Factor - O Ye of little faith. (Ref PM; this subject.) There are lots of people here with esoteric interests that are (or would be) interested in this. Thanks for the "heads up" though. I've got some buddies attending an event this weekend (no access to news/internet) that will appreciate learning this when thay get back to the real world. Medieval politics make for a fascinating study. Let's see what conclusions we can draw from this incident.

1. Secular power (Philip) trumps spiritual authority (Clement) every time. (Right and dead is still dead. Swords have an immediacy pens will never achieve.)
2. Don't get involved in money lending with individuals of dubious character who are likely to resent their debts - especially politicians with armies (and sub-prime holders of ARMs :p ).
3. Secret documents proclaiming innocence don't help when you're tied to a stake. (Though I'm sure Clement slept easier knowing he'd "done his duty for De Molay's immortal soul".)
4. Pragmatism (Clement) is a better indicator of survival potential than principle (De Molay). (Moral courage and political ambitions/ability are usually mutually exclusive conditions.)
5. Being exonerated after 700 years is cold comfort when your ashes are blowing in the wind.
6. Human nature hasn't changed. An understanding of history and politics is essential for any student of UW. After all - the job is about influencing people without getting killed in the process.

Ladyhawke
10-13-2007, 10:24
Ref. Peregrino's point #6; oh how very true that statement is.

The Reaper
10-13-2007, 12:45
1. Secular power (Philip) trumps spiritual authority (Clement) every time.

I am not sure about this broad a generalization, look at the Muslim workld today and see if it holds true universally.

The exoneration is only important if you believe in an afterlife, and I think the Templars did.

TR

x-factor
10-13-2007, 15:59
They certainly did. That so few of them confessed to the charges, even when facing terrible torture is an amazing testament to their faith and to their sense of honor. Its interesting to note that the concept in Western justice that testimony derived from torture is inadmissable dates at least in part to the charges against the Templars.

The betrayal of the Templars is a really underrated turning point in Western history. It represents a MAJOR shift in power from the Church to the nation-state. The Templars were the most potent military organization of their age and their chain of command when straight from their Grandmaster to the Pope with no intermediary. I don't think the modern nation-state could have come into being without the end of the military-monastic orders.

RE: secular power vs spiritual authority...I stand to agree with TR that I wouldn't generalize about one over the other. The Templars never would have come into existence in the first place if not for the power of spiritual authority. In my opinion, its the interplay between the two that really counts. As any one in the UW business knows, inspiring others to action can be a potent form of power in its own right...but at that point you're often blurring the lines between the spiritual and the secular.

I can't wait to see if the Islamic media picks up this story.

LongWire
10-13-2007, 16:42
If I may, my esteemed associates, I believe that you are stepping more in the direction of Social Networks and Social Influence........

Oh and #5..........Classic!!!!!!

Sdiver
10-16-2007, 00:48
Great read !!!!

It's comforting to know, the the Templars of 700 years ago, have been exonerated, and are in fact, vindicated by the truth.

5. Being exonerated after 700 years is cold comfort when your ashes are blowing in the wind.

Oh I don't know. I know of a few of my Brothers, that would/will find comfort in this.

On the Level.

CoLawman
10-16-2007, 09:12
Ah ha! And now I understand Maxtab's avatar!

sg1987
10-16-2007, 10:18
and on the square...

Remington Raidr
10-16-2007, 11:36
dedicated warriors risking life and limb in faraway places against dangerous fanatics are sold out for political consideration. Wow. Good thing that hasn't happened SINCE, and won't happen AGAIN!:rolleyes:

Max_Tab
10-17-2007, 01:13
Ah ha! And now I understand Maxtab's avatar!

You got it. :D

CoLawman
10-17-2007, 07:42
and on the square...

Another mystery solved. I'm going to have to dig up that old thread, "What does your avatar mean."

Sdiver
10-17-2007, 07:58
Another mystery solved. I'm going to have to dig up that old thread, "What does your avatar mean."

You making a list, or something? :D

Remember....2B1ASK1. ;)

CoLawman
10-17-2007, 08:54
You making a list, or something? :D

Remember....2B1ASK1. ;)

ha ha ha.......the hint was "on the square".............plus the compass equals "Okay I got it!"

Sdiver
10-17-2007, 09:13
ha ha ha.......the hint was "on the square".............plus the compass equals "Okay I got it!"

Heck, you already knew. ;) :D

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6402&highlight=travelers