PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Capitol: 'God' a No-Go

sg1987
10-11-2007, 04:53
Another skirmish in the culture war…

Good to see Nancy Pelosi taking a stand.:rolleyes:

WASHINGTON — When 17-year-old Andrew Larochelle of Dayton, Ohio, crafted a plan to send his grandfather the gift of a flag that had flown over the U.S. Capitol, he never thought his sentiments about "God, country and family" would be questioned

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,301054,00.html

Ret10Echo
10-11-2007, 12:55
WASHINGTON — The Architect of the Capitol, responding to a public outcry, ruled Thursday that, from now on, the word "God" may be inscribed on certificates accompanying flags that have flown over the U.S. Capitol.

Acting Architect Stephen T Ayers said in a statement that the policy of disallowing political and religious statements on flag certificates has been inconsistently applied and does not fulfill the objectives of the office.

"It is inappropriate and beyond the scope of this agency’s responsibilities to censor messages from members," Ayers said.

"The Architect’s role is to certify that flags are appropriately flown over the U.S. Capitol, and any messages on the flag certificates are personal and between a Member of Congress and his or her constituents,” Ayers said.

“The Office of the Architect of the Capitol is a service organization. Flying the flags over the
Capitol is an important constituent service for Members of Congress. When one of our services or policies doesn’t effectively serve Members of Congress or the American public, it needs to be
changed immediately,” he added.

The issue gained widespread attention this week after 17-year-old Andrew Larochelle of Dayton, Ohio, inquired to his congressman, Rep. Michael Turner, why the personal inscription he requested to go with his flag was censored.

RelatedStories
U.S. Capitol: 'God' a No-Go on Flag Certificates The message — to accompany a flag he had bought from Congress for $9 to be flown over the U.S. Capitol in honor of his grandfather Marcel LaRochelle — read: "In honor of my grandfather Marcel Larochelle, and his dedication and love of God, country and family."

The flag flew on Sept. 11, Marcel Larochelle's birthday. But when Andrew finally received the flag in the mail on Sept. 30, "God" was taken out of his note.

Andrew said he was surprised God's name had been omitted and couldn't understand why his free speech rights had been infringed. The Eagle Scout said he included God in his dedication because his grandfather is "very devoted to his faith."

"His faith life is just very vital to him, he is very God-centered and relies on God whenever he needs strength," Andrew told FOX News. "Without God in the certificate, it's almost like taking a piece of him away."

After Andrew inquired about the exclusion, Turner requested an explanation from Ayers and was told that the rules, which have been in practice since the 1970s but only codified in writing since 2003, don't allow religious expressions on flag certificates.

Turner and other House Republicans complained that the Capitol has many religious expressions and Congress begins each day with a prayer. They also noted that the message wasn't written by Congress but by one private citizen to another private citizen.

"This practice, which overturns a longstanding and long-cherished congressional tradition, has rightly drawn outrage from the American people, who have grown weary of endless attempts by politicians and bureaucrats to bar the word God and even the most tacit references to faith from our public institutions," House Minority Leader John Boehner wrote in a letter to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi on Wednesday.

To compromise, Rep. Robert A. Brady, chairman of the House Administration Committee, which oversees the Architect of the Capitol's office, had suggested allowing a uniform certificate of authenticity and then giving each congressional member the latitude to handle personal inscriptions.

But that didn't sit well with many lawmakers, who said the job of operating the flag certificate program lies with the Architect's office. On Thursday, Ayers said after reviewing the rules, he concluded that they were inconsistently applied and should be changed.

"I have directed that the policy be changed and that new guidelines be reissued immediately,” he said. “I appreciate the Congress bringing this important issue to my attention, and I appreciate their support as we worked to resolve this situation to everyone’s satisfaction,” said Ayers.

FOX News' Major Garrett contributed to this report.

rubberneck
10-11-2007, 13:06
So I get this straight. The US Treasury has no problem putting "In God we trust" on our currency, but the Architect of the Capitol found it objectionable putting God on a flag that was no longer public property. What am I missing here other than a misguided attempt to be politically correct?

82ndtrooper
10-11-2007, 13:39
The Boy Scouts of America seem to be a dying breed and organization.

I haven't seen a Boy Scout uniform, in public, since I hung mine up some 30 years ago.

I like this kid.

rubberneck
10-11-2007, 13:45

I haven't seen a Boy Scout uniform, in public, since I hung mine up some 30 years ago.

I like this kid.

Don't hold your breath on the Boy Scouts. I took my son to his first pack meeting Monday night and they went over the core values of the Scouts. When the got to faith he described faith using non secular terms. I asked him why, and he said they were told that they should minimize the religious aspects as to avoid offending people. The PC roots run deep.

Ret10Echo
10-11-2007, 13:45

I like this kid.

You still see swarms of Scouts here in DC during the summer tourist season.

Ret10Echo
10-11-2007, 13:46
So I get this straight. The US Treasury has no problem putting "In God we trust" on our currency, but the Architect of the Capitol found it objectionable putting God on a flag that was no longer public property. What am I missing here other than a misguided attempt to be politically correct?

On the certificate accompanying the flag. Sort of like when you order flowers online you tell them what you want on the card....

rubberneck
10-11-2007, 13:52
On the certificate accompanying the flag. Sort of like when you order flowers online you tell them what you want on the card....

I misread that. That makes their position seem even more ridiculous than it is, if that is at all possible. Freedom of religion is not the same thing as freedom from religion.

The Reaper
10-11-2007, 14:00

I like this kid.

We are active in Scouting, my son has been in for four years, wears his uniform proudly, and we enjoy it.

The scoutmaster is a bit of a hippie, but he likes the kids and enjoys teaching the lessons, so we avoid political discussions and get along fine. There are a couple of dozen kids who are signed up in his den. The pack is over a hundred scouts, some more active than others.

I would blame any lack of interest on poor adult participation and leadership. If you do it properly, the boys will come. What boy do you know who doesn't like camping, making fires, fishing, land nav, building race cars, etc.? It takes a couple of hours per week, but it is quality time spent with my son, and is a priceless experience.

The word God is used from time to time in the Scout activities.

The last flag I got from Congress had "God" on it, I was shocked to see that they had taken it off this scout's request. It wasn't like he was trying to get it put on everyone else's certificate. Our government in action.:rolleyes:

TR

Jack Moroney (RIP)
10-11-2007, 14:14
We are active in Scouting, my son has been in for four years, wears his uniform proudly, and we enjoy it.

I think that is outstanding. My son, a former eagle scout and former navy sub driver, has his two boys decisively engaged in scouting in Illinois. Of all the organzations that young kids can get into, I think that this has got to top my list.

82ndtrooper
10-11-2007, 15:06

The scoutmaster is a bit of a hippie, but he likes the kids and enjoys teaching the lessons, so we avoid political discussions and get along fine. There are a couple of dozen kids who are signed up in his den. The pack is over a hundred scouts, some more active than others.

I would blame any lack of interest on poor adult participation and leadership. If you do it properly, the boys will come. What boy do you know who doesn't like camping, making fires, fishing, land nav, building race cars, etc.? It takes a couple of hours per week, but it is quality time spent with my son, and is a priceless experience.

The word God is used from time to time in the Scout activities.

The last flag I got from Congress had "God" on it, I was shocked to see that they had taken it off this scout's request. It wasn't like he was trying to get it put on everyone else's certificate. Our government in action.:rolleyes:

TR

Agreed !

I have two sons. One is AD Navy, the other 15 yo on the Varsity track and cross country team . Both were active Webelo's but our Boy Scout Den died off from lack of interest from parents. The closest to us at that time was across the river in Ohio some 50 miles away.

After those years I took it upon myself to replicate the activities that they had may have lost without a Boyscout Den. Camping, fishing, making fires, althletic activities, and boating.

I did the best I could.

Razor
10-11-2007, 22:18
God, or whatever deity you decide to worship, is firmly entrenched in Scouting. Last I checked, there are 35 religions that have agreements with BSA to present an award at four different rank levels based on understanding and practice of their respecitve faith. Further, earning one of these awards, or practicing specific aspects of one's faith, is a requirement for earning at least three Cub Scouting ranks, IIRC.

The Church of Latter Day Saints charters the largest number of Scouting units in the US, with other religious denominations being the second most prolific unit sponsors.

I'm sad to hear you don't see Scouts in uniform in public anymore, 82dtrpr. The units around here are very active in the community, not only during popcorn sales, but doing service projects, assisting the Salvation Army with bell ringing at Christmas, going to zoos, museums, utility plants, professional and semi-professional sporting events, and at county and state fairs manning display and information booths. Sounds like the adults running your districts and councils need a swift kick somewhere motivating.