PDA

View Full Version : Knives brought to Iraq

Polypro
05-01-2004, 00:48
Greetings,

As my 5th post, I thought I'd share what I used in Iraq. For those that don't know me, I was on a contract over there since December, having just returned.

The most used (due to accessibility) was the CRKT Jim Hammond ABC. CRKT is carried by every PX over there. I carried this either on my HSGI Wasatch or the inside pocket or the RR vest. On the Wasatch it was secured in the far right pocket of the rig, by it's clip and a piece of 550 knotted in a drain grommet. I found it to be a great size, not too big or small. It was very easy to sharpen (even the tightly spaced serrations) on a Spyderco Tri-Angle. The position carried was a reverse grip (I'm right handed). The sheath was secure but quick.

I carried the Black-Ti Delica in the back pocket of the RR pants. Not much to tell, the knifes been with me for years...even has the clip ground off from a motorcycle accident.

The Leopard I painted tan and carried in a pocket on the HSGI drop holster. It didn't get much use (along with the holster) as I was Vehicle bound the entire time. The 9mm was moved to the Wasatch or RR vest.

The Timberline was brought (painted tan) but remained in the locker for the same reason as the Leopard...no room. I do believe that thing is indestructible though :) No good knife story's like the El Sal SF guy though, just everyday stuff...but none of them failed.

Poly

Polypro
05-01-2004, 00:59
Almost forgot. Schrade Tough Tool in a compass pouch on the Wasatch or pocket of RR vest. Wire cutters worked well in a situation in bad guy land, and the plier jaws were subjected to a lot of abuse and held up. Good tool.

Poly

The Reaper
05-01-2004, 07:07
Nice gear Poly.

You have any problems getting your gear in country?

I take it that you are a Crue fan?

TR

Polypro
05-01-2004, 11:30
Gov't contract = Gov't privledges...no problems at all:). After the docs check me out here and ok me, I'm headed back. Minus the Timberline.

P