PDA

View Full Version : Kearney’s command influence questioned

BMT (RIP)
10-05-2007, 07:48
.S. Rep. Walter Jones of North Carolina wants the Department of Defense Inspector General to investigate whether there was improper command influence from Army Lt. Gen. Frank Kearney in the case of two Special Forces soldiers accused of murder.

Jones asked Secretary of Defense Robert Gates for the investigation Wednesday.

“I want them to explain to me how the process works,” Jones said in phone interview from his Washington office.

“Command issues need to be looked into,” Jones continued. “Did he (Kearney) overstep his authority? Enough questions have been raised.”

Jones said he hopes to have Gates’ answer on an investigation in about two weeks.

Kearney could not be reached for comment Thursday.

Jones said he met with members of the Special Operations Legislative Affairs Office on Thursday on his request. He said the meeting was cordial and the office promised its cooperation.

Kearney was a two-star general in charge of special operations forces in Iraq at the time of the Special Forces shooting and a second incident mentioned in the letter. In that second incident, he ordered Marine special operations forces out of Afghanistan.

Kearney is now the deputy commander for U.S. Special Operations Command in Tampa. Fla.

A spokesman for the command did not comment on Jones’s request. He said the Marine Corps incident is still under investigation.

Kearney directed that charges be brought against the two Special Forces soldiers, Capt. Dave Staffel and Master Sgt. Troy Anderson. They were accused of premeditated murder in the shooting of Nawab Buntangyar on Oct. 13, 2006, at the village of Ster Kalay near the Pakistan border.

A e-mail attributed to Kearney said he asked for the charges “since no one at Fort Bragg would.”

Maj. Gen. Thomas R. Csrnko dismissed the charges Sept. 28 after an Article 32 pretrial hearing at Fort Bragg.

Csrnko is the commander of the U.S. Army Special Forces Command at Fort Bragg. He had to make the decision whether to send the soldiers to a court-martial.

The decision to move forward with charges in the Special Forces case came a few months after Kearney removed the 120-man Marine company after a firefight that brought accusations of an overreaction by the unit.

The Marine unit is based at Camp LeJeune, which is in Jones’ district.

:lifter

BMT

Ret10Echo
10-05-2007, 07:51
Accountability...you have GOT to love that..

Little dirt on the ivory tower sir?

Kudos to the gentleman from N.C.

The Reaper
10-05-2007, 08:12
I hope that the DoD IG gives him a thorough colonoscopy and ensures that his career in the US Army is put to a swift conclusion.

TR

tom kelly
10-07-2007, 04:19
He is LT.Gen.Frank Kearney and as I have posted on this site in the past month may be less,The General (Just got his 3rd Star) is more of a politican than a soldier and Iam wondering just who's side he is on,(Besides his own) IMHO he looks out for himself and not the soldiers and marines serving under him.As I have posted before He,the General, needs to resign from the U S Army and run for public office or better yet he could go over to Blackwater with the rest of the politically connected pseudo politicans who by the way are getting richer by the day at the taxpayers expense and he could conduct the GWOT from the boardroom in Moyock,NC...Regards,tom kelly

Ret10Echo
10-07-2007, 15:00
He is LT.Gen.Frank Kearney and as I have posted on this site in the past month may be less,The General (Just got his 3rd Star) is more of a politican than a soldier and Iam wondering just who's side he is on,(Besides his own) IMHO he looks out for himself and not the soldiers and marines serving under him.As I have posted before He,the General, needs to resign from the U S Army and run for public office or better yet he could go over to Blackwater with the rest of the politically connected pseudo politicans who by the way are getting richer by the day at the taxpayers expense and he could conduct the GWOT from the boardroom in Moyock,NC...Regards,tom kelly

So if there was a list of Army 3-stars(+) that were NOT politicians....how many would you list?
I can think of 2, maybe 3. To make it easier, let's go back 10 years to present-day.

:munchin

kgoerz
10-07-2007, 18:31
I'm glade he will have to answer for the two known decisions. The reasoning for labeling the very men in his command Guilty before and after investigations prooved different. Handing the enemy a bigger victory then they could ever imagine. Interest me very much.

CoLawman
10-07-2007, 20:13
I see alot of parallels to this General and FORMER District Attorney Mike Nifong!
May the General meet a similar fate.

Warrior-Mentor
10-08-2007, 11:22
Glad to hear it. What goes around; comes around. :munchin