PDA

View Full Version : Now this is useful technology for the field!

Roguish Lawyer
04-30-2004, 17:45
LOL

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?storyID=3563757&thesection=news&thesubsection=world

Cool can has own fridge

A cold beer or soft-drink could soon always be at hand with the invention of the self-chilling can.

Twisting the bottom of the tin energises a mini-fridge built into its base that brings down the temperature of the contents by at least 17C.

Florida company Tempra Technology claims to have perfected the technology at a price that manufacturers should be able afford.

Chief executive Barney Guarino said the company was talking to several brewers and the cans might go on sale this year, although the technology was still too expensive for mass-market products.

The can is double walled and the chamber surrounding the drink is filled with a water-containing gel which is separated from a vacuum in the can's base by a breakable seal.

A quick twist of the base breaks the seal, allowing the vacuum to lower the pressure and so evaporate the water from the gel. The heat needed to evaporate the water in the gel of the outer chamber is drawn from the drink itself, causing the fluid to drop to just above the freezing point of water in minutes.

Ambush Master
04-30-2004, 18:38
Jeesh, what ever happened to filling a few "Tubes" on a Gunship, have him climb to several thousand feet, orbit for about 20 minutes, return, then store the quite "chilled" beverages in a Mermac Can. Cold Beer all night !!! :D

CPTAUSRET
05-19-2004, 13:49
Originally posted by Ambush Master
Jeesh, what ever happened to filling a few "Tubes" on a Gunship, have him climb to several thousand feet, orbit for about 20 minutes, return, then store the quite "chilled" beverages in a Mermac Can. Cold Beer all night !!! :D

FOOKIN AVIATORS!

Terry

The Reaper
05-19-2004, 16:04
Originally posted by CPTAUSRET
FOOKIN AVIATORS!

Terry

Is that two words?

TR

BMT (RIP)
05-19-2004, 16:55
TR, Ask anyone who has been on a STABO/McGuire rig extraction and cameout with tree limbs or bamboo sticking out of your clothes or web gear!!!

:munchin

BMT
Jr. FOG

Ambush Master
05-19-2004, 17:28
Originally posted by BMT
TR, Ask anyone who has been on a STABO/McGuire rig extraction and cameout with tree limbs or bamboo sticking out of your clothes or web gear!!!
BMT
Jr. FOG

On my second extraction by Stabo, I cut a piece of Bamboo to use as a Rudder so we wouldn't start spinning !!!!

And, I've inserted and then found twigs in my boot laces from standing on the skid while we low-leveled through the tree tops !!