PDA

View Full Version : Diving Destinations

jatx
09-27-2007, 14:49
I know we have some avid divers around here, so perhaps you can help me. I am just getting PADI certified, and would like to plan a diving vacation in LATAM during the late February/early March time frame.

I have about two weeks to spend, and would like to find someplace where I can live relatively cheaply, get by with basic Spanish, and have a variety of dive options (I'd like to dive as much as possible). Good food and nightlife options are a big plus, and I enjoy being off the beaten path.

Thanks in advance! :cool:

Firebeef
09-27-2007, 15:00
1. Cozumel. Cheap, easy to get to, excellent diving!!
2. Belize, San Pedro Ambergris Caye, Some of the best diving in the Western Hemisphere. Excellent variety for a novice diver. English (spanglish anyways)
3. Honduras, Roatan and Utila, again....same reef system as CZM and BZE, but crystal clear water.
4. Costa Rica. My only experience here is on the Pacific side, but lots of critters. We could hear 3 different whales on 1 dive....never saw them, but we could make out 3 distinct songs!!

I'll be in Cozumel 3-10 OCT, diving with Dive Paradise from the Villa Blanca docks....anyone else gonna be in the AO around that time frame????

Happy bubbles!!

Firebeef
09-27-2007, 15:18
I have been goofing off at work WAAAAY too much today.... that's what happens when you do a PT test first thing, and then end up running no calls and entering hose records.....MIND NUMBING!!!

Florida is an excellent choice and a much overlooked dive destination. It's easy to get to...Spanish...and even some English is spoken in parts of Dade County...lol... the currency is easy to figure out, and the diving in the keys and even up into Broward county is world class. There are numerous wrecks, reefs and monuments all up and down the Keys. John Pennekamp National park, the US's only underwater park is right off of Key Largo. The Spiegel Grove is the 2nd largest vessel ever sunk intentionally for reef building/recreational diving, just southof there.

I think a lot of divers overlook Florida simply because it isn't "exotic" enough. That's really sad, because the reefs have been rebounding phenomonally and the diving is world class.

FILO
09-27-2007, 15:27
I've been to a number of the Carribean islands and be advised you will pay mucho dinero. The cheapest diving experienced has been in Taganga, Colombia which is a small fishing village, located just north of Santa Marta and next to Tayrona National Park. Back in 2003, I did 2 dives with lunch for a total of $30 USD. The $ has tanked against the peso, but I still suspect you can get that same dive for around $50 USD. The diving is not the best but its decent. The equipment is okay although I'd recommend that you take your own BCD and regulator. I'd fly into any of the Colombian Carribean cities and make my way over to Taganga. PM for additional details since I've personally been through that area on many occassions and as recent as two months ago. Also visit this link for info on Taganga: http://www.infohub.com/outfitters/2329.html. Good luck!

82ndtrooper
09-27-2007, 15:44
I've been to a number of the Carribean islands and be advised you will pay mucho dinero. The cheapest diving experienced has been in Taganga, Colombia which is a small fishing village, located just north of Santa Marta and next to Tayrona National Park. Back in 2003, I did 2 dives with lunch for a total of $30 USD. The $ has tanked against the peso, but I still suspect you can get that same dive for around $50 USD. The diving is not the best but its decent. The equipment is okay although I'd recommend that you take your own BCD and regulator. I'd fly into any of the Colombian Carribean cities and make my way over to Taganga. PM for additional details since I've personally been through that area on many occassions and as recent as two months ago. Also visit this link for info on Taganga: http://www.infohub.com/outfitters/2329.html. Good luck!

Same here with Carribean Islands. Just don't go on a cruise ship and purchase any excursion trip when in port. They only allow about 4 hours and you'll be lucky to get any real bottom time if your with 50 other people, especially novice divers or first timers in open water.

Yes, pack your own BCD and regulator. If possible your own mask and fins and booties too. Most of the equipment seems to be made for kids from Wal Mart.

mugwump
09-27-2007, 16:07
Firebeef got to all my recommendations first. The only place I could add is Grand Turk in the Turks and Caicos. Ex-Brit island with really good wall diving, lots of marine life, spectacular night diving if you can time your trip over a new moon. Try doing a no-lights night dive on the north end at slack tide, there's so much bioluminescence it's a religious experience. Seriously. It's dive crack. Little or no current, reefs start 5 mins offshore at about 30 feet. It's a great place to get your first dives under your belt -- I brought my daughter there after certification and she had a great time. There were Navy divers there at the same time doing crazy stuff, too, and they also had a great time.

If you go to Roatan, bring lots of bug spray. The diving is great, but the no-seeums are vicious.

Hijack alert:

I was going to put this in 'Be Prepared' because people on dive trips laugh at my first aid kit: "Whatcha need sutures for?"

That is my dive buddy Ben below. He's a young Brit expat I buddied up with on a liveaboard. Good diver. We were hunkered down back-to-back at a bout 30 feet, eyeballing the sharks when one darted in and hit his hand. We speculated it was his watch that brought it in.

Check out the video below: "One of these sharks nibbled on Ben." Just prior to taking this video a hammerhead had demolished a Southern Stingray in three bites. The commotion and blood brought in a horde of Caribbean reef sharks and a couple of bull sharks, who proceeded to demolish a large grouper that was in the area. They are just finishing up at the start of the video, you can see them off in the distance. We thought everything had calmed down when a medium reef came in over my shoulder and hit his hand from behind. "'At 'anker 'it 'e." (That wanker bit me!) He bled like a pig from such a small gash.

Crappy video, but good considering I used a dinky Canon Digital Elph. I take snapshots, not photos.

[Shark pass] (http://s227.photobucket.com/albums/dd257/mugwump_bucket/?action=view&current=CalSayBankSharkpass.flv)

[One of these sharks nibbled on Ben] (http://s227.photobucket.com/albums/dd257/mugwump_bucket/?action=view&current=CalSayBankExcitedsharks.flv)

Do not stick your hand in a shark's mouth.
Half-way done. No one ever gets to laugh at mugwump's first aid bag ever again.

Deadhead 63A1
09-27-2007, 16:46
Well, you'll probably have already made up your mind and have made reservations by the time I'm back, but I'm going to Roatan in December. I'll let you know how it is. I've heard about the bad stuff about the no-see-ums but I've heard a lot better stuff about the place I'm headed. Racks of tanks available 24/7 for shore dives whenever you feel like it and 2 boat trips a day, all included!

mugwump
09-27-2007, 17:03
Well, you'll probably have already made up your mind and have made reservations by the time I'm back, but I'm going to Roatan in December. I'll let you know how it is. I've heard about the bad stuff about the no-see-ums but I've heard a lot better stuff about the place I'm headed. Racks of tanks available 24/7 for shore dives whenever you feel like it and 2 boat trips a day, all included!

CoCo View? Keep some deet in your locker by the dock. Spray up as soon as you get out of the water and you'll have no worries.

jwt5
09-27-2007, 17:28
I have been goofing off at work WAAAAY too much today.... that's what happens when you do a PT test first thing, and then end up running no calls and entering hose records.....MIND NUMBING!!!

Florida is an excellent choice and a much overlooked dive destination. It's easy to get to...Spanish...and even some English is spoken in parts of Dade County...lol... the currency is easy to figure out, and the diving in the keys and even up into Broward county is world class. There are numerous wrecks, reefs and monuments all up and down the Keys. John Pennekamp National park, the US's only underwater park is right off of Key Largo. The Spiegel Grove is the 2nd largest vessel ever sunk intentionally for reef building/recreational diving, just southof there.

I think a lot of divers overlook Florida simply because it isn't "exotic" enough. That's really sad, because the reefs have been rebounding phenomonally and the diving is world class.

I second Florida if you want to stay CONUS. There are plenty of reefs directly off the beach here in Broward County. You can swim right off the beach if you want to. Plus, dive charters are pretty cheap.

Word of advice, if you decide to come to South Florida around that time frame, start booking your hotel now. The prices get jacked up for the spring break crowd and hotels get pretty full pretty quick.

Good luck.

jatx
09-27-2007, 20:27
Thank you! You guys are awesome...looks like I have some research to do! :lifter

CoLawman
09-27-2007, 21:24
Jatx,
Since you are just getting certified I would recommend a location that allows shore diving to supplement the boat dives. This will bring your level of comfort up much faster than just doing boat dives. You can ramp up your experience on cheap shore dives by getting some bottom time without the added pressure of diving with more advanced divers.

Shore dives allow you to learn bouyancy control and proper breathing without the stress of being on a deep dive with advanced divers. You will suck down the air on boat dives, being a novice, and generally surface about half way through the dives, ha ha ha.

Since you have two weeks use the beginning of the trip to gain experience and improve your comfort by using shore dives. Then move on to the boat dives better prepared and more relaxed.

I love Cozumel but very minimal shore dives.

I would give my eye teeth for a two week dive trip to Cozumel!

Just my two cents.

hoot72
09-27-2007, 21:53
Anyone been diving in South Philippines or Borneo by any chance?

Deadhead 63A1
09-28-2007, 00:06
CoCo View? Keep some deet in your locker by the dock. Spray up as soon as you get out of the water and you'll have no worries.

You guessed it...

mugwump
09-28-2007, 07:52
You guessed it...

They've changed ownership...I've heard good things. Look forward to your trip report.

mugwump
09-28-2007, 07:58
Jatx,
Since you are just getting certified I would recommend a location that allows shore diving to supplement the boat dives. This will bring your level of comfort up much faster than just doing boat dives. You can ramp up your experience on cheap shore dives by getting some bottom time without the added pressure of diving with more advanced divers.

Shore dives allow you to learn bouyancy control and proper breathing without the stress of being on a deep dive with advanced divers. You will suck down the air on boat dives, being a novice, and generally surface about half way through the dives, ha ha ha.

Since you have two weeks use the beginning of the trip to gain experience and improve your comfort by using shore dives. Then move on to the boat dives better prepared and more relaxed.

I love Cozumel but very minimal shore dives.

I would give my eye teeth for a two week dive trip to Cozumel!

Just my two cents.

Now this is really good advice.

Bonaire has great shore diving as well as nice boat dives, and can be done relatively inexpensively. There are several excellent underwater guide books, and the underwater navigation is relatively easy.

The KLM stewardesses stay at the Plaza Resort Bonaire.

Roguish Lawyer
09-28-2007, 10:19
looks like I have some research to do! :lifter

Try the search button here too -- we've done this before, I think.

Puerto Vallarta is not a good diving destination. If you go to the Cancun area, be sure to dive off Cozumel -- the Cancun sites I went to are not so fantastic.

Please report back on your trip when you're done!

Trip_Wire (RIP)
10-09-2007, 20:21
Try the search button here too -- we've done this before, I think.

Puerto Vallarta is not a good diving destination. If you go to the Cancun area, be sure to dive off Cozumel -- the Cancun sites I went to are not so fantastic.

Please report back on your trip when you're done!

I agree 100% with this!

Cozumel is the best place to do your dives. I know I sure enjoyed my dive trip there and would return anytime I get a chance. I like the town as well!

I do also like Roatan Island off the coast of Honduras as well!

http://sidewalkmystic.com/Roatan-Diving.htm

CoLawman
10-09-2007, 20:51
Okay, how about a QP members dive trip to Cozumel. What a great way to meet everyone and enjoy the third best dive site in the world!:lifter

mugwump
10-10-2007, 11:03
Okay, how about a QP members dive trip to Cozumel. What a great way to meet everyone and enjoy the third best dive site in the world!:lifter

I'm in. Firebeef was talking about the same thing.

CoLawman
10-10-2007, 17:29
That's 3........and counting

Firebeef
10-10-2007, 17:45
Boys, boys, boys....and girls....of course!!! Mugwump, my sincerest apologies for starting this subject, and then buggin' out, but.....well, I am sitting in the USO in B Concourse at DFW (great USO btw!!) on my return trip from Cozumel.....I've been a little too busy off gassin Nitrogen to check e-mail until now.
Cozumel, for the sheer awesomeness of the diving, money spent gettin to/from and ease of getting there and back is simply unbeatable. As far as a QP dive trip........I'm in!!! From what I have heard and seen it would seem that either May/June or Sept/Oct are the best off season months, with the best chance for not being weathered out. I have a lead on a few great places to stay, and the dive shop I went through was top notch

check out:

www.diveparadise.com

I'm in..... as COlawman sez: that's 3....who else????