PDA

View Full Version : West Nile Virus

Sdiver
09-26-2007, 20:24
We've been seeing an increase in the West Nile Virus strain lately, out here in Colorado.

Just in the past 2 weeks, my partner and I, have transported 2 people with WNV. Both were coming out of clinics, were the Pts went in, on advice of those "Dial a Nurse" (:rolleyes:), instead of going to an ER. Both cases were initially diagnosed as being cases of Meningitis, (Headache, stiff neck, fever, general stupor), but it wasn't until their lab work came back, after transporting them to an ER, was it narrowed down to WNV.

In both cases, we transported with isolation precautions, masks over Pt and both my partner and I, because as we were told by the attending Clinic MDs, these Pts had Meningitis.

We also found out today, that one of our coworkers went into a Hospital, with those above symptoms, and was again diagnossed with Meningitis, but later it was reversed to WNV.

Anyone else seeing an increase in WNV in their areas?

Here's the CDC's page on WNV.....

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/westnile/qa/symptoms.htm

clapdoc
09-27-2007, 15:39
We are seeing this disease in Mississippi increase by 5 fold this year. It has been an extremely dry year so it is somewhat mistifying. Our health department did a study and stated that the mosquito that carries west nile only feeds between 2200 and 0200 at night. This may become as big a deal as the old scourge of yellow fever back in the 1800's.

Clapdoc sends.

Ambush Master
09-27-2007, 18:36
We had a very wet year and WNV is raging down here. It has all but annihilated the Crow Population!!!

clapdoc
09-27-2007, 19:59
Hey Martin,
Ya'll got most of the rain this year that we get in a normal year. I have a daughter living in Loraine and working in Abilene and she says they have been flooded all summer, her store in Abilene flooded also.
I wish we could lose some of our crows, i have a continuing battle with them each fall over our pecan crop.

Clapdoc sends.

60_Driver
10-31-2007, 14:39
Here's the CDC's page on WNV.....

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/westnile/qa/symptoms.htm

Damn, I knew it killed birds, but I didn't think it could get that serious with people.

Ambush Master
10-31-2007, 20:42
Several people at work and in the area have been stricken with it. It starts off like a Meningitis type infection and then becomes insidiously worse. A close friend of mine at work was comatose for several weeks, just a couple of years ago. He's back at work, but is not quite all there!!

This stuff is BAD NEWS!!

Take Care.
Martin

60_Driver
11-01-2007, 11:16
When I left Egypt in 1998, they tested everyone. Something like 70% of us popped positive for antibodies, but no one had been sick enough to miss any work.

Hence my underestimation...