PDA

View Full Version : Combat Nutrition

swatsurgeon
09-23-2007, 13:23
I recently heard Bruce Siddle (Sharpening the Warriors Edge) speak about the lack of education in this field. For any active duty or recently separated personnel, did you ever learn about "proper" nutrition for combat.....did anyone tell you what you should and should not but into your body before engagement and just as important, after engagement?
Thanks

ss

NousDefionsDoc
09-23-2007, 16:09
We are mushrooms = KITD-FOHS

swatsurgeon
09-23-2007, 18:24
We are mushrooms = KITD-FOHS

I somehow expected that....is it ANY different today, literally 'today' other than MRE's or what ever kitchen is open? No 18D education on component nutrition pre-post maximum stress/combat?

incommin
09-23-2007, 19:01
Do combat soldiers have a choice????? There are very few choices..... gee, I haven't eaten in six hours but don't think I want that field ration right now; I think I'll have green tea and poached eggs after that stressful fire fight.......

Jim

NousDefionsDoc
09-23-2007, 19:36
I somehow expected that....is it ANY different today, literally 'today' other than MRE's or what ever kitchen is open? No 18D education on component nutrition pre-post maximum stress/combat?

A lot of SF guys are athletes - they know what they're supposed to eat. But like Jim said, not a lot of choices. That PJ had some good articles on the subject a while back.

There are exceptions of course - asked TR about his footlocker....:lifter

82ndtrooper
09-24-2007, 10:08
A lot of SF guys are athletes - they know what they're supposed to eat. But like Jim said, not a lot of choices. That PJ had some good articles on the subject a while back.

There are exceptions of course - asked TR about his footlocker....:lifter

I'm guessing a couple good Havana's and some aged bourbon.

Doczilla
09-25-2007, 13:04
SS-
Can you recommend some good books on the subject?

'zilla

Razor
09-25-2007, 13:22
SS, even some general advice would be handy. While circumstances may limit a soldier's ability to follow good nutrition guidelines most of the time, knowledge is power. There may be times when a soldier can get back to a DFAC or dig into a "personal stash" and eat the right stuff at the right time.

MtnGoat
09-30-2007, 16:46
I don't think Medics get any training or ED on nutrition guidelines or anything on those lines. As far as this speak about the lack of education in this field, I don't understand why. Soldiers are trained to fight for this Country. Nutrition isn't in our training. MREs fill that lack of training. They are made for us to eat and fight. On that note, MREs used for the fighting person don't make the overall grade IMO.

To me MREs suck.. yeah you get a nutritional value, but you can't eat the whole thing in a combat sitting. They are made to be heated, and most time you can't or don't have time to heat them up. I feel that they need to add a protein bar into every bag.

I saw many guys having boxes in their GMVS of sport bars and any where from 2-4 bars a day for dimounted patrols. They carried them over MREs. Hell, we all cut and strip MREs of the BS that we don't want and don't use. I wish Natick would talk to the Light forces on what is really need and what we use.

My .02

Team Sergeant
09-30-2007, 19:32
I recently heard Bruce Siddle (Sharpening the Warriors Edge) speak about the lack of education in this field. For any active duty or recently separated personnel, did you ever learn about "proper" nutrition for combat.....did anyone tell you what you should and should not but into your body before engagement and just as important, after engagement?
Thanks

ss

I missed this....

Having been trained by soldiers and SF legends like Col Robert Howard, Col Rowe etc etc etc, I really never thought to ask them what they ate before fighting a battle.:rolleyes:

(I don't read or take advice from paper "warriors".)

We didn't have many choices before missions or enroute to an AO.

Beer was always welcome after missions......

TS

x SF med
09-30-2007, 22:01
I was chosen to be on a "Rations, Lightweight 30 Day" test for Natick (there were other things going on with the test, but that was the name) while at Devens - luckily, I was on the 'control' team - we got 1st gen MRE's, the batch with the bad crackers (remember those? TS, TR, PigPen, et al...) and the 'test' team got these LRRP things, only not anywhere near as good, needed more water than LRRPs , and well, they nearly killed one guy on the test team. They were never adopted.

Do not trust the Natick guys to come up with any foodstuffs that will meet the needs of the soldier in combat - they are braintrusters, not soldiers and will give every scientific reason why these meals will work.

swatsurgeon
10-01-2007, 19:42
SS, even some general advice would be handy. While circumstances may limit a soldier's ability to follow good nutrition guidelines most of the time, knowledge is power. There may be times when a soldier can get back to a DFAC or dig into a "personal stash" and eat the right stuff at the right time.

I am researching this topic heavily...I will post suggestions in the next few days. One of my research interests is nutrition for critically injured/ill patients as well as those caring for them. High stress, unknown duration of stress is my newest project population. I'll be back........

82ndtrooper
10-06-2007, 13:49
I was chosen to be on a "Rations, Lightweight 30 Day" test for Natick (there were other things going on with the test, but that was the name) while at Devens - luckily, I was on the 'control' team - we got 1st gen MRE's, the batch with the bad crackers (remember those? TS, TR, PigPen, et al...) and the 'test' team got these LRRP things, only not anywhere near as good, needed more water than LRRPs , and well, they nearly killed one guy on the test team. They were never adopted.

Do not trust the Natick guys to come up with any foodstuffs that will meet the needs of the soldier in combat - they are braintrusters, not soldiers and will give every scientific reason why these meals will work.

I remember well getting ahold of a few of those "LRRP" rations at Ft. Bragg.

IIRC it was a dehydrated main course. Just add water and stir with the plastic spoon. I specifically remember one of the rations being a "Rice and Chicken" With warm canteen water.