PDA

View Full Version : yard tool

Retired W4
09-19-2007, 08:47
Those who were working with the hill tribes back in the day might recognize this blade. I was on a single ship support mission for 5 SFG to move an older fellow, along with his family, pigs, dog, chickens, etc. I figured he must pull some weight for that treatment, plus his ear lobes were almost down to his shoulders. While waiting in a clearing to load him up, another fellow comes walking through bearing this knife and another larger one like it. I managed to talk him into selling this to me. He would not part with the bigger blade.

The Old Guy
09-19-2007, 09:13
The craftsmanship is wonderful in the wood, the metal is quit crude but I am sure very effective for the task it was designed.

What kind of wood are we viewing? I treasure to behold for sure.

Retired W4
09-19-2007, 10:36
I don't know for sure about the type of wood. The sheath appears to be made of a segment of bamboo, bound with a woven reed. The larger of the two knives he carried was of the same design with the handle extending straight from the curved part (no sheath). He carried the large blade balanced on his shoulder and the small blade (now mine) in the cord of his loin cloth. The only other possession he had was a woven basket back pack. I believe he was on his way into the woods to gather dinner. When I pulled out some MPC to make the deal, he jumped back and waived me off. Luckily there was an ARVN in the LZ for security (I guess) who was willing to trade piaster for MPC.

The knife remains unchanged for 37 years

Jack Moroney (RIP)
09-19-2007, 13:06
Those who were working with the hill tribes back in the day might recognize this blade. .

My little people had similar blades, but they were not in as good shape as this one. Also, the handles were smaller and blades wider. All my yards were Sedang so that might have something to do with the differences. Had a couple made for me by some of the village chiefs, but some clown removed them from my baggage and left me a note saying that I had not provided the appropriate paper work to export a "weapon" back to the US. I hope that jerk severly injured himself.

clapdoc
09-19-2007, 21:02
Great knife. I think it a bru knife. it has been a long time since I saw one, but somethings never leave your memory.

Clapdoc sends.

Bill Harsey
09-20-2007, 13:07
Retired W4,
Thank you for posting the picture. I have never seen that type of knife before.

BrianH
09-20-2007, 20:09
Retired W4,
Thank you for posting the picture. I have never seen that type of knife before.
Huh? I had always assumed you were some sort of Immortal, like the Highlander, and you "made" knives insofar as selling the ancient, mystical edged relics you had collected during your thousands of years roaming the earth.

My mistake, friend.

Bill Harsey
09-21-2007, 07:56
Huh? I had always assumed you were some sort of Immortal, like the Highlander, and you "made" knives insofar as selling the ancient, mystical edged relics you had collected during your thousands of years roaming the earth.

My mistake, friend.

You made no mistake, that's why I was surprised.

Some QP's have roamed longer than I.

Retired W4
09-21-2007, 09:34
You funny Bill San. Boucoup dinky dau.

CPTAUSRET
09-21-2007, 09:37
You funny Bill San. Boucoup dinky dau.

YUP, what he said!:)