PDA

View Full Version : Arsenal???

Sacamuelas
04-29-2004, 14:53
Arsenal found in Staten Island home
From Cheryl Bronson
CNN
Thursday, April 29, 2004 Posted: 8:19 AM EDT (1219 GMT)

NEW YORK (CNN) -- New York City police have uncovered an arsenal of weapons, ammunition and home-made bombs in a raid on a Staten Island home, a police spokeswoman said.

According to Officer Jannara Everleth, the NYPD Drug Enforcement Task Force on Wednesday entered the single-family home and discovered the stash of munitions, including seven homemade bombs, 10,000 rounds of ammunition and 13 guns.

Police closed off a four-block area and evacuated homes surrounding the house as a precaution while the bomb squad removed the weaponry, Everleth said.

Police arrested Albert Boshi, 40, and Anna Dicamillo, 39, described as his common-law wife. They also removed the couple's 3-year-old son from the house. Both Boshi and Dicamillo are charged with three counts of criminal possession of a weapon and endangering the welfare of a child.

An Arsenal???? What is wrong with owning 13 guns and buying bulk ammo to save money? This article should be about a couple of losers making homeade bombs... the guns/ammo are thrown in there to create bias against gun ownership by linking it to the illegal activity.
Or am I being overly sensitive on the issue? :munchin

Kyobanim
04-29-2004, 14:56
I would tend to agree with you on this.

CommoGeek
04-29-2004, 15:09
I'd totally agree with you if it weren't for the "homemade bomb" part.

The rest isn't an arsenal, it is a Constitutionally protected right.

GackMan
04-29-2004, 15:37
13 firearms is a starter kit and 10K is plinking ammo.

the 'bombs'.... hmmm, I'd like to see their construction. This guys is probably an asshole, but giving him the benefit of the doubt - I have a case of tannerite 'bombs' in my garage.

Sacamuelas
04-29-2004, 15:43
Commo... I think you misunderstood my point. I agree that the illegal bombmaking should be the story. The guns/ammo are not part of the issue and are included only to promote anti-gun bias.

DoctorDoom
04-30-2004, 04:47
x

CommoGeek
04-30-2004, 06:23
Originally posted by Sacamuelas
Commo... I think you misunderstood my point. I agree that the illegal bombmaking should be the story. The guns/ammo are not part of the issue and are included only to promote anti-gun bias.

You are correct Doc. My apologies for missing that.

I'm off of my game this week.

rubberneck
04-30-2004, 07:49
Damn Jawbreaker, relax... it's just poor use of volcabulary by the media... they don't know the specific definition of arsenal, so any place that has weapons and bullets stored is an arsenal... I read a newspaper that talked about "terrorist-grade" weapons... WTF?

I disagree whole heartedly. That is no simple mistake but a clear case of bias. Having lived in New York almost my entire life and knowing several members of the NY print media, there is no doubt in my mind that those words were chosen very carefully to create the greatest impact.

Solid
04-30-2004, 08:55
Remember- in most cases, reporters aren't dumb, just evil and misguided.

Solid

CPTAUSRET
04-30-2004, 09:08
Originally posted by rubberneck
I disagree whole heartedly. That is no simple mistake but a clear case of bias. Having lived in New York almost my entire life and knowing several members of the NY print media, there is no doubt in my mind that those words were chosen very carefully to create the greatest impact.

Concur.

Terry

DoctorDoom
04-30-2004, 10:12
x

rubberneck
04-30-2004, 11:01
That attributing a pretty high level of intent to some local news copywriter.... guess I'm just a dewy eyed optimist...

I guess I am a hardscrabble jadded ex-New Yorker that knows when someone is jerking me around. The next positive gun story by a New York reporter will be the very first one. I have read enough anti-gun crap from New York writers to know what this idiot is trying to convey and that is anyone who owns a gun, let alone 13 of them, and has 10,000 rounds is a wide eyed psychopath and worthy of condemnation. There are plenty of words to chose from including, cache, but he chose the one word that envokes a dark and sinister sense of foreboding.....

Roguish Lawyer
04-30-2004, 11:06
Anyone want to discuss whether possession of explosives should be a crime? :)

The Reaper
04-30-2004, 11:07
Originally posted by rubberneck
There are plenty of words to chose from including, cache, but he chose the one word that envokes a dark and sinister sense of foreboding.....

How about "small" or "modest collection", since that is what it appears to be?

The "arsenal" represents a threat to others the same way his paper presents a threat to libel, slander, or defame others, or the reporter's house contains the items to be referred to as a "torture chamber" or "drug dealer's lair".

Last time I checked, we were innocent until proven guilty, I guess that with his paper, that right died with the Second Amendment.

TR

The Reaper
04-30-2004, 11:09
Originally posted by Roguish Lawyer
Anyone want to discuss whether possession of explosives should be a crime? :)

Possession, or unsafe storage?

No legitimate military use for pipe bombs, BTW. Frags would have been GTG.

TR

Roguish Lawyer
04-30-2004, 11:09
Originally posted by The Reaper

The "arsenal" represents a threat to others the same way his paper presents a threat to libel, slander, or defame others, or the reporter's house contains the items to be referred to as a "torture chamber" or "drug dealer's lair".

Last time I checked, we were innocent until proven guilty, I guess that with his paper, that right died with the Second Amendment.

TR

Preach on! Hallelujah! LOL

rubberneck
04-30-2004, 11:17

I hear you but you have to understand the mindset of the NY liberal. Since NYC has such draconian anti-gun laws the presense of one gun let alone 13 constitutes an arsenal for these close minded idiots.

A couple of months ago the mayor (A Democrat who ran as a Republican) of NYC was asked about the possibility of relaxing the gun laws in the city. After blinking long and hard and with a stupid look on his face he stammered.."but why? who owns guns in NYC? I don't know anyone that owns a gun anyway....".

How isolated do you have to be from the rest of the country to make a statement to that effect? The writers in NY for the most part either grew up in NYC or have lived there their entire adult lives, have never seen a gun, let alone owned one and think they are nothing but pure evil.

I am pretty sure that you could get more rational gun discussion from one of the million mom marchers than from a reporter in NY.

The Reaper
04-30-2004, 11:18
Preach on! Hallelujah! LOL

This has been proven to not be a true story, but the joke remains relevant to this thread.

TR

I was listening to the radio the other day, and I heard one of the all-time best comeback lines in my life. Note: This is an exact replication of National Public Radio (NPR) interview between a female broadcaster, and US Army General Reinwald who was about to sponsor a Boy Scout Troop visiting his military installation.

FEMALE INTERVIEWER: So, General Reinwald, what things are you going to teach these young boys when they visit your base?"
GENERAL REINWALD: We're going to teach them climbing, canoeing, archery, and shooting."
FEMALE INTERVIEWER: "Shooting! That's a bit irresponsible, isn't it?"
GENERAL REINWALD: "I don't see why, they'll be properly supervised on the rifle range."
FEMALE INTERVIEWER: "Don't you admit that this is a terribly dangerous activity to be teaching children?"
GENERAL REINWALD: "I don't see how. We will be teaching them proper rifle discipline before they even touch a firearm. "
FEMALE INTERVIEWER: "But you're equipping them to become violent killers."
GENERAL REINWALD: "Well, you're equipped to be a prostitute, but you're not one, are you? "

DoctorDoom
04-30-2004, 11:18
x

Roguish Lawyer
04-30-2004, 11:26
Originally posted by The Reaper
GENERAL REINWALD: "Well, you're equipped to be a prostitute, but you're not one, are you? "

LMAO!

Roguish Lawyer
04-30-2004, 11:28
The term "arsenal" in this context does not bother me.

Main Entry: ar·se·nal
Pronunciation: 'ärs-n&l, 'är-s&n-&l
Function: noun
Etymology: Italian arsenale, ultimately from Arabic dAr sinA'ah house of manufacture
1 a : an establishment for the manufacture or storage of arms and military equipment b : a collection of weapons
2 : STORE, REPERTORY <the team's arsenal of veteran players>

13 is a collection, isn't it? Whatever.

The explosives are the real story IMO.

The Reaper
04-30-2004, 11:36
The term "arsenal" in this context does not bother me.

13 is a collection, isn't it? Whatever.

The explosives are the real story IMO.

"Arsenal" implies military weapons

Colt's does not have an arsenal, do they? Neither do firearms retailers. Does the NRA Museum collection qualify? When used properly, only the military/government does.

Most adults can legally possess all of the components of pipe bombs. They are not illegal till they are assembled as such. They are not particularly good weapons, but seem to appeal to pinheads because of their relative ease of manufacture and availability of components. We will not be discussing that further.

TR