PDA

View Full Version : Federal Marshalls encounter

82ndtrooper
09-13-2007, 09:10
Ok, this morning started like any other morning since I've begun to seek a second career and going to school for radiography technology. Usual wake up @ 0600, SSS, coffee, raise the flag, then poke around on the computer before going to my only class on thursday's. Make some early telephone calls, return an email or two, and then head out for class. Class get's canceled since the professor is ill and their is notice on the door, so I head back home to use the day for lab preparation study for an exam next week.

Suddenly the door bell buzzer rings. We have an entry hall way into the building of our town homes. Instead of depressing the button on the wall to speak to the outside I simply depress the "unlock" button allowing the person or persons to enter the building. This is common as people usually lock them selves out of the building when taking garbage out etc. I walk out of my front door and look up the stairs to see two men dressed in 5.11 Tactical pants, black polo shirts with the embrodiered "Federal Marshalls" badge, duty belts with weapon, handcuffs, pepper spray, radio etc. ............Oh shit, whay I have I done now I ask myself ? :confused:

Federal Marshall: "Are you number # 2, ME: Yes sir, what can I can do for you ? Federal Marshall: We are here to serve you with a summons and your being placed under arrest for failure to appear in court this morning under a federal supoena ! ME: What ? Federal supoena ? arrest ? what in the world is this about sir ? Federal Marshall: Don't you know that your supoena you were served with demands that your appearance in court as a murder suspect is mandatory and not a request ? or that you can exercise your 5th Amendment if you choose to not incriminate your self or your friend ? ME: What murder? what friend ? and when was a supoena served to me or this residence ? Federal Marsahll: The supoena was supposedly served at your place of business on 5th street, XXXXXX, XXXXXXX ME: 5th Street ? I've never worked on 5th Street in my life, let alone ever had a supoena for a murder case nor was I ever deposed in my life.

ME: Who are you looking for exactly ? Fed Marshall: Your Mr. XXXXXX at #2 right? ME: Mr. XXXXXXX ? Nope, sorry, I'm Mr. Scott XXXX. :confused:

I was already in handcuffs, had never seen the face copy of the warrant for arrest, nor a supoena for a murder case. At his point the other Fed Marshall looks at his partner who's holding my cuffs and say's "Oh FXXK, it's not him, we've got the wrong address" Needless to say that after showing proper ID and a short conversation they discovered that the actuall address was for the attorney that lived across the hall from me. We even both mutually knew a guy that served with 3rd SFG (A) and had a short stunt with 1stSFOD.

After my heart rate fell back to normal and my breathing was beginning to slow back down we relized that in the mistaken address and lack of indentification the attorney they wanted had slipped off his deck and rode off in his car. I gave them a description of the car, and the firm that he worked for and they practically wanted to take me to breakfast after they both apologzied about 400 times. No harm, no foul.

What a strange morning. Just goes to show, you never know what's around the corner in life these days.

Ret10Echo
09-13-2007, 09:18
Definately want to use the speaker button next time:D

HOLLiS
09-13-2007, 09:22
82nd great story. Mistakes happen. I know of a felony stop, that went something like your experience. The apologies took much longer because of the family in the car were really rattled.

SFS0AVN
09-13-2007, 09:26
I bet that started your day out right, wide awake all day long blood pressure 180 over 100 pulse 120.

rubberneck
09-13-2007, 10:20
It's a good thing you didn't answer the door with a gun in your hand.:p

RTK
09-13-2007, 10:25
The stellar land nav skills of those who work in Kentuckiana. I'm going to be even more careful since I'm in the same district as you.:D

82ndtrooper
09-13-2007, 12:18
It's a good thing you didn't answer the door with a gun in your hand.:p

Yeah, I can only imagine. :munchin

Humorous enough though I did wear my carry gun, H&K USPc in Kramer leather paddle, to campus. At which time I removed the holster and weapon and locked it in the glove box of the car (No gun zone on campus)

After relizing that class was canceled I returned to the car and at that time saddled the holster and weapon back onto my hip for the drive home. Once home I sat down here at the computer and it was digging into my side so I removed the holster and weapon and sat them here on the desk, where it is still residing at this moment.

As the two agents and myself chit chatted after I was free to breath slowly again I said "I thought you might be here to take my firearms for some god saken unknown reason" to which the younger agent replied "Hillary isn't in office yet, and I would hang up my badge before I go collecting anyones firearms under her tyranny"

Maybe I should have invited them to PS.COM

82ndtrooper
09-13-2007, 12:33
I will give kudo's too the the two Marshals. Both were young, polished, slim and in shape, both were wearing their pants pressed and duty gear well. Very professional, except for the part of handcuffing the wrong citizen. :cool: No fatty's, blowhards, or otherwise poor personalities. What I'd expect from USMS.

As for my neighbor Mr. X. He's an attorney who's been known to consort with a sorted cast of charachters. While being a decent neighbor, cordial, friendly and even at times out of his way to help with just about anything around the residence, he has some shady looking individuals that seem to come and go in the night, sometimes staying for day's. We never really to seem get a grip on what exactly all this means and it's possibly really none of our business.

In the confusion, rapid heart and respiratory rate that I was expereincing from this incident I heard "murder suspect" or "testifying in a murder suspect case" I don't really remember which, but it certainly was not just a bench warrant for an unpaid speeding ticket, especially when the USMS is coming to his door, or my door in this particular case.

My heart rate is just now beginning to slow a bit.

Air.177
09-13-2007, 14:14
I will give kudo's too the the two Marshals. Both were young, polished, slim and in shape, both were wearing their pants pressed and duty gear well. Very professional, except for the part of handcuffing the wrong citizen. :cool: No fatty's, blowhards, or otherwise poor personalities. What I'd expect from USMS.

As for my neighbor Mr. X. He's an attorney who's been known to consort with a sorted cast of charachters. While being a decent neighbor, cordial, friendly and even at times out of his way to help with just about anything around the residence, he has some shady looking individuals that seem to come and go in the night, sometimes staying for day's. We never really to seem get a grip on what exactly all this means and it's possibly really none of our business.

In the confusion, rapid heart and respiratory rate that I was expereincing from this incident I heard "murder suspect" or "testifying in a murder suspect case" I don't really remember which, but it certainly was not just a bench warrant for an unpaid speeding ticket, especially when the USMS is coming to his door, or my door in this particular case.

My heart rate is just now beginning to slow a bit.

Sounds like it's my turn to see if YOU need some Maker's :D

Good times,
Blake

clapdoc
09-13-2007, 14:56
My story is not nearly as dramatic at yours 82nd trooper.
Last Friday i came back in the house about 9:00 am after feeding livestock and our business line was ringing. The caller ID read; F B I, my initial thought was, what imbecile has their business ID as F B I . I answered and was asked my name and the agent identified himself as being with the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
He stated that they wanted to interview me concernig an ex-partner of mine for wire fraud, bank fraud and money laundering.
When I finally got my heart to slow down and I could think, we had a good conversation and I assured him that i would cooperate. So I am going, with counsel, and be interviewed by the FBI.
That was a hell of a phone call for an ole country boy.

82ndtrooper
09-13-2007, 15:55
Sounds like it's my turn to see if YOU need some Maker's :D

Good times,
Blake

I took a Beta-blocker and found a 10mg Valium in the medicine cabinet. Everything is real coooool here now. Has been for a while. What time is it ? ;)

Remington Raidr
09-13-2007, 16:54
This could have been a MAJOR fuckup. How close are your physicals to the wanted subject. Did they ask you your name? Geez.

NousDefionsDoc
09-13-2007, 17:43
In my opinion, that is bullshit. There is no excuse for them doing it and it happens way too often. Can't read a number on a door? Don't go in until you are sure.

There's no hurry anyway.

The Reaper
09-13-2007, 17:55
So I am going, with counsel, and be interviewed by the FBI.

Exactly the way to do it. Never go without lawyering up.

And stop talking when you have answered the question.

Many years ago, an SF Captain who was a friend of mine had an FFL and sold guns in his spare time (back when you could still do that out of your house). He was getting out of the Army and had a class date for the FBI Academy just a few months before he hit the magic age cutoff for Federal LEOs.

He sold an AR-15 and a Remington 700 to a guy who paid cash, in $100 bills.

My buddy gets a call from the Secret Service, and he assumes that they are running a background check.

Turns out that the $100s are counterfeit. They make him go redeem the counterfeit money for his personal cash, and put him on the watch list. They also notify the BATF, which was part of the Treasury at that time, and they pull his records and rake him over the coals. He had the 4473s and all of the proper paperwork, but it takes time to prove your innocence.

He gets a call from the FBI saying that he is under investigation, and that he has to clear it up before his class date or miss the opportunity.

The Secret Service agrees to change his status from suspect to wirtness, if he agrees to testify against the counterfeiter in court. All is cool, for a couple of weeks.

Then they catch the counterfeiter's partner, and he agrees to roll over and dime out his buddy. Then they no longer need the Captain's testimony, so he goes back into the suyspect mode, and finally hires a lawyer (he didn't need one before because, as we all knew, he was innocent).

By the time they sort it all out and he is cleared, he missed his class and is over the age limit, so "bye bye" FBI opportunity, hello GM. But that is another story.

Bottom line: Hire a good attorney before answering any questions, even if you are innocent. Things can change quickly. And if you are stopped by LEO, one of the first issues is to establish who and where you are and determine who and where they are looking for.

TR

82ndtrooper
09-13-2007, 18:59
This could have been a MAJOR fuckup. How close are your physicals to the wanted subject. Did they ask you your name? Geez.

I live just across the hallway from the wanted subject. Our town homes are four to a building, two stories each with an entry hallway that leads to stairs down to the 4 entrances of the four units. Imagine a star shaped building if your looking at it from a topography point of view. So yes, he's just across the hall about 7 foot steps, but possibly upstairs.

After I informed them that I was not Mr XXXX XXXXXXX, but rather Mr. Scott XXXX they practically bent over backwards for me and I dont think I've ever seen cuffs come off a persons wrists as fast as he had them off of me. I wont deny that I have been arrested for minor youthful transgressions, but it's been a looooonnnnnnggggg time since I've felt steel around my wrists.

After we established that we had a mutual friend with USMS that had served with 3rd SFG (A) and 1stSFOD they did ask my name again, as if to try to tell Mr. SF that they come across me. I'll see him soon enough since deer season is approaching and we generally run into each other at the gun club.

As of now, 20:59 Mr. X has not reported back to his residence as of yet. I've been here all day studying and I have taken the pooch for several walks and his car is no where to be seen. On a funny note Mr. X looks like Serpico with Dr. 90210 suits and shirts and drives a vintage Mercedes. It's quite a site.

Team Sergeant
09-14-2007, 09:03
Everyone makes mistakes, I remember a certain "counter-terrorist" unit boarding the wrong "ship" (anchored in the harbor) in the dead of night...... I'm sure the ship's crew wet themselves upon meeting/greeting said CT team......;)

I'd imagine for every mistake made, US LEO's make 100,000 good arrests.....;)

Team Sergeant

Deadhead 63A1
09-15-2007, 16:17
"...I would hang up my badge before I go collecting anyones firearms under her tyranny"

Yeah, I'll believe that one when I see it... I'm sure the LEOs from across the nation that went to New Orleans for Katrina said the same thing at some point... :rolleyes:

mdb23
09-15-2007, 17:05
Yeah, I'll believe that one when I see it... I'm sure the LEOs from across the nation that went to New Orleans for Katrina said the same thing at some point... :rolleyes:

I wouldn't let the actions of very few influence my perception or opinion of the hundreds of thousands of LEO's in the U.S. Also, if I am not mistaken, weren't contractors (Blackwater, LEO's on contracting gigs) responsible for many of the seizures? I read that in some LE publication, but I can't think of it off the top of my head. I could be off on that (admittedly).

We do have sh*tbags within our ranks, as does every organization. I won't deny that for a minute. But many of us are very much pro 2nd Amendment, and would in fact put down our badges rather than seize firearms from those who have not forfeited the right to own them (felons, etc.).

Take care,
MDB

The Reaper
09-15-2007, 19:51
I'm just wondering, but does anyone know a good book or website on what exactly your rights are if something like this happens? If this had happened to me, aside from the Bill of Rights, I'd be rather clueless exactly as to what I have a right to. I need to learn this stuff.

The Miranda warning pretty much spells it out.

Are you unfamiliar with it?

You have the right to remain silent, etc.

TR

The Reaper
09-15-2007, 20:41
AH, okay, no actually I'm not familiar enough with it, will be sure to memorize and learn it though.

Don't worry, if you need it, someone there will read it to you.

I would recommend telling them that you would like to exercise your rights not to make a statement till you have had the opportunity to consult with an attorney.

All questioning should stop at that point, but you may be heading downtown.

TR

Razor
09-15-2007, 20:43
In Philadelphia some years ago, about a year or two after my family had moved, the people who'd been our next-door neighbors had a SWAT Team bust into their home in the middle of the night and scared the daylights out of them and the children. Turns out they were doing a drug bust, only it was like with 82ndtrooper, wrong house, the drug dealers were living in the house directly across the street (OOPS!).

I was thinking 82dtrooper was lucky it was two well-mannered Marshalls that came to his home (and he wasn't carrying) and not the above scenario. No-knock warrant services that are 'mistakes' concern me, as I know what I'd be doing if someone tried to breach my door in the wee hours, and lil' ol' me against a full SWAT team doesn't bode well for yours truly. Its happened in the past to others, and they're not around to receive their apology.

Remington Raidr
09-15-2007, 21:27
AH, okay, no actually I'm not familiar enough with it, will be sure to memorize and learn it though.

You have the right to remain silent . . . . if you think you can stand the pain:D

82ndtrooper
09-15-2007, 21:49
I spoke with the neighbor this afternoon. He was supposedly testifying in front of the grand jury in a case that recently shocked our little docile community. It was a domestic incident with a shooting ending in the death of a husbund whom my neighbor knew well through out his life and played golf with on a league every summer.

I had heard a rumor this week that he was a bit more friendly with this individuals wife than the normal hello's and "how ya doin" kinda relationship. :munchin

NO KNOCK WARRANTS:

I've often wondered what outcomes would result with a no-knock warrant and wrong address when a SWAT Team is involved. If I were awaken by the noise of the manual breach to the door and assumed that a home invasion robbery was about to take place I'd hate to think what would happen if I presented the muzzle of the Benelli M1 down the steps.

I suppose some one is getting shot, and it's probably me. If I were only injured and survived the encounter I'd expect a new Mercedes in the driveway by the end of the week. And a healthy bank account about the same time.

tom kelly
09-16-2007, 20:04
When the Phila.Police come with a no knock warrent,they come full kit,SWAT,Highway Patrol,Narcotic Strike Force ect.Armed with shotguns.smg's,flashbangs and tear gas.With HIGH RISK TARGET,A felon who is considered armed and dangerous,They smash in the door yelling POLICE.get down on the floor,If you have what they even think is a weapon,The next call they make is to The Medical Examiner to come and get your body.(They do not drop bombs from helicopters anymore)RE The Move incident when The Honorable Wilson Goode was mayor.Lesson to be learned,if you ever come to Phila. leave you firearms at home and if you happen to be a target of a raid by the police my advice would be get on the ground immediately,DON'T pose a threat and cooperate....If by chance it is the wrong house or apartment the city will pay for the door,I don't know about if an apology will be offered.These situtations usually take place in the parts of the city known as the Badlands,and you would have no good reason to be there,It's a high crime area,open air drug corners,high murder rates (more than 260 so far this year) So if you decide to come to The City Of Brotherly Love,PM me and I will take care to let you know where you can go and where you can't.Regards ...tk

Ambush Master
09-17-2007, 16:31
Don't worry, if you need it, someone there will read it to you.

I would recommend telling them that you would like to exercise your rights not to make a statement till you have had the opportunity to consult with an attorney.

All questioning should stop at that point, but you may be heading downtown.

TR

And.....Remember that Old Saying.....You may be able to beat the Rap, but you ain't gonna beat the Ride!!!!:D

tom kelly
09-18-2007, 09:17
Broadsowrd,If you are interested in the incident that occured in west Philadelphia on May 14,1985 in the 6200 block of Osage Avenue go to the Google search engine and look up Move Philadelphia there are two web sites containing stories from USA Today and The New York Times giving accounts of what transpired after a 90 minute shoot out between Phila.Police and Move members.The web sites are under Google News...www.mindfully.org/reform/move-philadelphia-bombnyt14may85.htm-20k The USA Today web site is www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-05-11-philadelphia-bombing_x.htm....Regards,tom kelly

Pete
09-18-2007, 10:03
... No-knock warrant services that are 'mistakes' concern me, as I know what I'd be doing if someone tried to breach my door in the wee hours, and lil' ol' me against a full SWAT team doesn't bode well for yours truly. Its happened in the past to others, and they're not around to receive their apology.

Get a better door. Replace all the screws, lock plates & hings with long ones that go deep into the door and through the frame into the 2X4 framing. Then use a scuff wedge at the bottom or one of those wedge sticks that go under the knob and down to the floor.

It will not stop them but they will have to take a bit more time. The time you need to read the situation and react correctly.

Criminals don't make that much effort to get through a door like that.

Razor
09-18-2007, 22:05
Already in effect, Pete. Even reinforced the frame, where needed. ;)

brianksain
09-22-2007, 18:46
Everyone makes mistakes, I remember a certain "counter-terrorist" unit boarding the wrong "ship" (anchored in the harbor) in the dead of night...... I'm sure the ship's crew wet themselves upon meeting/greeting said CT team......;)

I'd imagine for every mistake made, US LEO's make 100,000 good arrests.....;)

Team Sergeant

Of course you are right TS ... but brother ... they are hiring some idiots these days.

Just not the same kind of cop that brought me up anymore.

Where did 20 years go?

Ret10Echo
09-25-2007, 13:12
A little off topic 82nd Trooper, but maybe they were distracted due to their "other" duties......what a bunch of elitist jerks....:mad:

http://www.federalnewsradio.com/?nid=78&sid=1256072

Mukasey Security Detail Filed Complaint
September 25, 2007 - 3:05pm

WASHINGTON (AP) - Emptying the trash, carrying groceries and toting golf clubs were among duties allegedly assigned to U.S. marshals protecting two federal judges in New York over the last decade _ one of whom has been nominated to be the next U.S. attorney general.

The valet-like chores were outlined in a complaint two years ago against Michael B. Mukasey, another judge and their wives by deputy marshals assigned to the judges' security details.

82ndtrooper
09-25-2007, 13:32
A little off topic 82nd Trooper, but maybe they were distracted due to their "other" duties......what a bunch of elitist jerks....:mad:

http://www.federalnewsradio.com/?nid=78&sid=1256072

Mukasey Security Detail Filed Complaint
September 25, 2007 - 3:05pm

WASHINGTON (AP) - Emptying the trash, carrying groceries and toting golf clubs were among duties allegedly assigned to U.S. marshals protecting two federal judges in New York over the last decade _ one of whom has been nominated to be the next U.S. attorney general.

The valet-like chores were outlined in a complaint two years ago against Michael B. Mukasey, another judge and their wives by deputy marshals assigned to the judges' security details.

Why does this not surprise me ? :rolleyes:

Color me stupid, but do all Federal judges have a security detail ? Let alone Federal Marshals ? Seems like a colossal waste of tax payers money to have Federal Marshals being treated like the plantation help than out chasing fugitives.

Elitist bastards is right !! :mad:

Additional note: Perhaps now that Blackwater's lisence in Iraq has been suspended they can provide security details to these Federal judges. Leave the Fed's to do their real jobs.

The Reaper
09-25-2007, 13:52
Why does this not surprise me ? :rolleyes:

Color me stupid, but do all Federal judges have a security detail ? Let alone Federal Marshals ? Seems like a colossal waste of tax payers money to have Federal Marshals being treated like the plantation help than out chasing fugitives.

Elitist bastards is right !! :mad:

Additional note: Perhaps now that Blackwater's lisence in Iraq has been suspended they can provide security details to these Federal judges. Leave the Fed's to do their real jobs.

Judicial security is a real job, and is a core mission for the USMS.

A member of this board was a key figure with them for many years.

The judge may have misused them, but that does not denigrate their duties.

Have some respect.

TR

Shar
09-25-2007, 14:21
The article referenced above is very misleading. The headline looks like they are saying for certain it was Mukasey and his wife who misused the USMS, but in reality:

"The complaint, first obtained by The Associated Press in 2005, does not specify which judge or spouse is responsible for assigning which tasks to the deputy marshals included in their grievance.

It also does not name Mukasey or the other judge, Kevin Thomas Duffy, although they were the only two jurists in the federal courthouse in New York's southern district who had long-standing U.S. marshals security details at the time the complaint was filed in March 2005."

There's an awful lot of inference here - especially when this complaint does not appear to have been verified in any way. Not that I'm calling these Marshalls liars, but there are always two sides to every story and clearly this story is being twisted and used to make the next Bush nominee for US Attorney General look bad. Darn vast left-wing conspiracy! :D

On another note, I am very glad, as a citizen, for the protection afforded these Judges. A good friend/mentor of mine is on the Federal bench and he's received more then one threatening letter. The USMS serve a real purpose.

82ndtrooper
09-25-2007, 14:42
Judicial security is a real job, and is a core mission for the USMS.

A member of this board was a key figure with them for many years.

The judge may have misused them, but that does not denigrate their duties.

Have some respect.

TR

No disrespect intended. I just don't like seeing any federal agents treated like the lawn care boy, or garbage collector. Even though they did come to my door and it was the wrong address and wrong guy. ;)

I suppose I would have guessed Secret Service instead of USMS for these types of Judicial security duties. Obviously I did not even know that Federal judges had such details.

Again, no disrespect intended.

504PIR
09-26-2007, 07:36
Just a quick note as Blackwater name has popped up here a few times. In New Orleans BW had NO arrest powers, nor was it used to confiscate firearms. Though many are LEOs who work for BW, they cannot arrest anybody while working on contract.

That was the New Orleans PD! Which was NOT the most highly respected PD in the country before the disaster.

As I frequantly make fun of BW on a regular basis, it pains me to have defend them.