PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Router Options

The Old Guy
09-08-2007, 22:16
My new house is deep in the country and I have but one option for local telephone and DSL service in the community. They advertise upload and download speeds at 768kbps/256kbps. We use a VOIP service for long distance and international calling at the house because cell reception is POOR. I want to run a secure wireless system in the house for my both my computers and printers.

I like Linksys unless there is something better. So, which wireless system (router) is best for what I want to do the Linksys Wireless-N Broadband Router, Wireless-N Gigabit Gaming Router or the Wireless-G Broadband Router with SpeedBooster?

pegasus
09-08-2007, 23:17
My new house is deep in the country and I have but one option for local telephone and DSL service in the community. They advertise upload and download speeds at 768kbps/256kbps. We use a VOIP service for long distance and international calling at the house because cell reception is POOR. I want to run a secure wireless system in the house for my both my computers and printers.

I like Linksys unless there is something better. So, which wireless system (router) is best for what I want to do the Linksys Wireless-N Broadband Router, Wireless-N Gigabit Gaming Router or the Wireless-G Broadband Router with SpeedBooster?

A little off topic, have you considered Satellite or Microwave solutions to replace DSL? Sat will give you 1.5mb download with something like HughesNET. Microwave you need good LOS.

You may have to really hunt to find microwave providers. Typically these providers set up for commercial use, but more and more of them are expanding to provide residential services in rural areas. It's what I use. I have 8mbs download and it is great !

Either solution you can still run your VoIP and ditch the telco....

jwt5
09-09-2007, 05:52

I use Linksys Wireless-G with SpeedBooster and I've never had a problem with speed, connection, or people stealing. This particular router is setup to be able to function with all major wireless cards so you never have to worry about compatibility. The software that comes with the router allows you to setup a 16 or 24 (IIRC) character password that is impossible to guess. You basically type in a word and it generates the code. Of course you need to write it down so you can type it in when you first sign in, but after that you're good to go.

Edited to add: One more thing that I really like about this router is the fact that you can limit the amount of bandwith each computer that is plugged directly into the router. This is great when you're sharing with someone who likes to download a lot of music or movies. You can also turn off their individual connection if you decide you need to.

Just my .02

Ambush Master
09-09-2007, 07:54
I'm running a Netgear Wireless-G Firewall Router with 4 Computers on it and have never noticed any degradation in speed. It also allows you to enter the MAC address of the wireless cards in the computers and they are the only ones that can access the router!!

Later
Martin

HOLLiS
09-09-2007, 09:58
We have a Linksys wireless router and also use Ethernet. I doubt the loss of speed is through the router. There are many other reasons for delays, such as;

1) auto downloads

2) internet traffic/website traffic

3) Vista

Even fast connections can run slow, such as when a site has a very high call for service.

You can also install a Lock on your router. Linksys has a download-able program to do so.

I live pretty rural and wished I did not install a lock. They have their pros and cons. Cons is having to re-enter the "Password" when there is a disconnect (we get electrical interruptions alot)

SF_BHT
09-09-2007, 10:26

TOG
I just attended a Training course on this in Early Aug.
Hope this helps like all subjects this is not the only info but this should point you in a direction. Your service to the house is the first step (DSL/Wired/Sat Service/Microwave) then you determine how you will distribute the service in the house (Wired/WIFI). Research the model of router/access point/WIFI then make the purchase and install.

1st Do you have the capability to wire the house? If so wire the rooms with CAT5E so you can take advantage of the higher speed.

2nd if not do not get caught up on the new N type of wireless. The N band is not certified and many things will change between now and next Aug. The FCC and other regulatory agencies when the approve the N-band will probably change the Freq/channel/etc. This will leave a lot of people that have bought Pre-N certified equipment from working with different versions of N equipment.

The issue for WIFI is placement of the wireless router/access point in the house. You will have to do a survey with the equipment to determine the best location. You will have degradation of signal no matter what you do but you need to install the router so the prime use areas have the best signal. If you Hard wire the house you will be able to do this much easier. With your house wired you have many options (connect wired in one room /connect wireless in another) Also you could cover the house/yard with multiple router's to get full coverage. Wiring the house is pretty easy and not that much. I have done several with no formal training. Today there are a lot of tools, plug and play cable solutions/etc.

The G-boosted is Good and that is what I buy for work right now. If you need a little more signal strength i use add on directional antennas also.
I use Linksys and NetGear and they both work the same for our use.

Ambush Master
09-09-2007, 10:40
I've got a two story house and have the router located on the first floor with the main computer just across the room from it, but the other 3 machines are upstairs and we have had zero problems with signal strength or connectivity!!

SF_BHT
09-09-2007, 11:53

Ref to Secure wireless. If you are out in the sticks and no other house is near you you do not need to secure your signal. That is to keep people from sitting on the street or next door and attacking you equipment or service. Just one less password to have. Strength of signal in your house will depend on Size, type of construction and placement.

Where I live now the construction is Hollow Brick, concrete and Steel. Really kills the WIFI Signal. Adobe also knocks down the signal a lot. The standard stick/drywall house is great for WIFI. It depends on placement and How big the house is. My home in KY is 8,600 square feet and I used 2 access points to get the same signal throughout the home. My home in FL only needs 1.

dmgedgoods
09-09-2007, 16:20

A decent setup for a 2 computer household that is secure (to an extent)?

Linksys WAP54G - this is an all-purpose access point that hooks up to your modem and makes your internet Wi-Fi accessible.

Linksys WUSB54G - You need 2 of these for your computers. This enables you to plug-n-play with USB Wi-Fi devices. No cards, or anything too complicated. Simply plug them in, and access your access point.

Now you can setup whatever security features you deem fit for your new system.

Instead of setting up printer sharing on this system, which would be the obvious thing to do, I would save the minimal bandwidth usage typical of "always-on" network printers, and print everything via bluetooth...if that is possible with your hardware.

VOIP should work seamlessly in this configuration.

Unlike a standard "router", an access point allows you to set signal strength up to levels that you normally wouldn't need to for a home. This ensures connectivity all the time, no dumping. For example, you set the power to 500 mA, and you have great signal strength for a few more feet. Most routers operate at minimal levels, with minimal adjusting.

My .02,

McD