PDA

View Full Version : Travelling Man

Ret10Echo
08-28-2007, 05:36
I met Bernie in Yuma, Arizona back in 2005. Bernie was finishing up a mule-ride across the United States from Orient, NC to San Diego, CA. He was camped at a local stockyard for a few days and I would see his teepee off the side of the road.
Turned out Bernie was in need of a pickup to haul said mule back to NC when he completed his journey and I happened to be having my "going-out-of-the-horse-business-and pre-retirment" sale. I spent some time talking with him and he is quite an interesting fellow. When he was getting things together to buy the truck I had offered to drive him to the bank, registry, etc. He turned me down stating that after spending so much time moving only as fast as the mule would go, he didn't want to get out of that mode. Seems it took him some time to get slowed down to that point when he started.

Bernie is what I guess you would call an adventurer, or maybe a bit crazy. But if you have ever thought about chucking it all, and setting off on horse (mule) or boat and leave the ratrace behind you may enjoy the read. Bernie is currently on another journey from Saskatchawan to Mexico. He logs his travels and posts through the following website.

It's no "extreme" sport or adventure/survival race....but it is an adventure, and that can turn into survival.

Thought some of you might enjoy the stories.

http://www.riverearth.com/journeys.html

jatx
08-28-2007, 06:40
Thanks for the post - his journal entries are quite entertaining!

PSM
08-28-2007, 14:34
Very interesting. He made a pretty good sales pitch for steel sailboats.

Pat

82ndtrooper
08-28-2007, 14:52
"Garage Sale" as the christened name of his first boat he claims actually floated. How funny ! Only a horse jockey could have come up with that name.

Interesting guy.

kgoerz
08-28-2007, 18:05
Looks like he is using a Kifaru Tipi, smart man. I just picked up a 4-Man Tipi w/stove and a Para-Tarp in a trade. Anyone who is thinking of buying a camping shelter. Nothing beats a Kirafu Tipi. They are expensive thou. You can fit a 4-man Tipi and stove into a Laptop case. But it will be lighter then most laptops.
Good read by the way. Did he write about meeting you? Haven't read the whole thing yet.

Ret10Echo
08-28-2007, 18:14
Looks like he is using a Kifaru Tipi, smart man. I just picked up a 4-Man Tipi w/stove and a Para-Tarp in a trade. Anyone who is thinking of buying a camping shelter. Nothing beats a Kirafu Tipi. They are expensive thou. You can fit a 4-man Tipi and stove into a Laptop case. But it will be lighter then most laptops.
Good read by the way. Did he write about meeting you? Haven't read the whole thing yet.

Don't think there is anything on the website. If you see a silver 92 Dodge, that's my old truck. I ordered a copy of his book (Too Proud to ride a Cow) and I am waiting for it to come in.
Interesting work on the design of the wagon. He started out with something much larger, and with a team of mules. He was saavy enough to realize the older team would not do well, so he opted for a single (younger) mule, which required a significant redesign of the wagon.

Ret10Echo
11-15-2007, 08:42
For those in the Bragg metro area...

Bernie will be signing books...

*Friday, November 16
"Woody and Maggie Walk Across America" discussion and book signing
Fort Bragg PX
Fort Bragg, NC
11:00 am - 3:00 pm

*Saturday, November 17
"Too Proud to Ride a Cow" discussion and book signing
The Country Bookshop
140 NW Broad Street
Southern Pines, NC
2:00 - 5:00 pm
Bring the family out to meet Woody and Maggie in the heart of RiverEarth Country ("Too Proud to Ride a Cow" was written two doors down from the Bookshop). Yes, you can pat the same mule that ran off with meteoric effect in "Too Proud".

Warrior-Mentor
11-15-2007, 20:47
I met Bernie in Yuma, Arizona back in 2005....
When I read that, I thought you were talking about that guy who hung out at the intersection in Yuma giving out directions to anyone who asked....day or night, he was camped out at that intersection. Strange.

What was it they called him? The Navigator??

Ret10Echo
11-16-2007, 07:27
When I read that, I thought you were talking about that guy who hung out at the intersection in Yuma giving out directions to anyone who asked....day or night, he was camped out at that intersection. Strange.

What was it they called him? The Navigator??

I had forgotten about that guy. Was it the local TV or Newspaper that did a story about him?

He would set up his hooch on either side of the overpass...Don't think he ever asked anyone for anything. He just sat in a lawn chair. There was a big stink over whether or not he could be there. He wasn't panhandling, but I think the State wanted to force him to leave the area.

Warrior-Mentor
11-16-2007, 09:15
He just sat in a lawn chair. There was a big stink over whether or not he could be there.

Perhaps the stink was from the lack of personal hygiene. ;)

Ret10Echo
11-16-2007, 15:11
Perhaps the stink was from the lack of personal hygiene. ;)

Don't quit your day job...:D